Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
GDS
2015 Heritage Glen 286RLT

I need help with my front landing gear

Today we got home from camping. I dropped my front landing gear and started raising the camper. Before it got high enough to get the truck out from under it, it stopped working. It seemed like a fuse blow but every fuse I've found is ok. I then used the hand crank. It took all I had to get it up. It wasn't much better going down. Before I took it all the way down I decided to try the remote. The remote did activate the motor but before I could get it all the way down it bound up. I can't get it to go up or down. It try's but it seems something is wrong in the gear box. I will call the dealer tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem on a new camper?

It's a 2015 Heritage Glen 286 RLT. I picked it up about 3 months ago. I never cared for the sound of the front gear but just thought it was less quality than my old Excel.
GDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #2

I had the same problem. I found that the front landing gears had never been greased. The grease fittings, located inside the front compartment (above the legs) had never been greased. They were covered with dried paint. Unscrewed fittings, cleaned, reinserted, greased and all was well. Hope it's that easy for you.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
GDS

Thanks Hoo Dad, I checked and painted over grease fittings. I pulled them out and no grease. I now have that taken care of but must have blown the fuse for the remote as well. I can hear a relay click when I hit the remote but nothing to the motor. Would you happen to know we're the fuses are located? I checked the fuse panel. There none marked landing gear nor any blown.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

I'm not sure about yours but Look behind the battery and see if there is a resettable type fuse block. Or trace the wires from the landing gear motor and see if there is a resettable type fuse.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
GDS

I found the fuse for the remote. It's behind the rear wall in the basement on the master remote board.

I will be getting with the dealer tomorrow. The screw/bushing is galled up. I believe they will have to be replaced.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

Glad I could help with the grease part of the problem. Good luck at the dealer's and happy camping.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
I had the same problem. I found that the front landing gears had never been greased. The grease fittings, located inside the front compartment (above the legs) had never been greased. They were covered with dried paint. Unscrewed fittings, cleaned, reinserted, greased and all was well. Hope it's that easy for you.
Since this thread gave me a much needed heads up on landing gear grease zerks that I was totally unaware existed, I checked my landing gear today and sure enough there are four grease zerks there (2 at the top of each leg).

Is there any special grease that should be used...or is the same grease used for the axle bearings good enough?

Thanks for the tip!!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

I used the same grease that I use to lube my axles. No problems to date.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS