Old 09-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I'm all for the extra battery. It's the first mod I make to every camper I have owned. Have you considered running directly off the battery? Inverters are only about 80% efficient. I also use a CPAP but with the 12v adaptor. I installed a 12v socket close to the night stand. We often stay off the grid too and used the generator to charge up the batteries.
My machine didn't come with an adapter so 110 is the only option (I use an older Res-Med unit). Some things never wear out.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
My machine didn't come with an adapter so 110 is the only option (I use an older Res-Med unit). Some things never wear out.
Those CPAP units are very low power users and inverters are a lot more efficient at low power demands (vs capacity). If you need a powered humidifier with yours consider one of the "un-powered" ones that route your air over a flat container of distilled water.

CPAP.com - REMstar Passover Humidifier with hose

We use a powered one that works great all night with dual 75AH DP batteries and a 1000Watt inverter.

CPAP.com - HC150 Heated Humidifier With Hose, 2 Chambers and Stand

You may also find the correct 12 volt cable for your unit here:
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-battery-pow...-dc-cables.php

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #13

Like I said, mechanically, I'm fine. I farm so I fix and maintain all my equipment....Electrically, not so much.

The inverter install was seamless. I installed it very close to the battery that came in the unit and used welding cable and crimp / solder on lugs for the connections I bought an over rated Xantrex (3000 watt) when I knew I'd need much less (the CPAP machines is 75 running watts) 'in case' of future need and I hard wired the converter to one dedicated GFI outlet near the overcab bunk so I can 'plug in' but still have the outlet available for other stuff in the future.

The Xantrex is a remote on and off unit and it's efficiency rating is 93% not 80 like a cheap convertor (wasn't cheap)

If I remove the existing battery box and venting, I can get 2 group 24's side by side in almost the same space the box now occupies, not a bad deal. With a slide in TC, you want to keep 'dead' weight as far forward as possible anyway.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate any and all assistance.

My last question is (and lets not get into an oil like discussion if possible), what do you folks recommed for an AGM battery? Years ago, I used an Optima in another application with very mixed results. It was expensive and trally didn't work out very well. Are there other more viable options?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I have VMax AGM and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/VMAX-MR127-Ma...+cycle+battery

If this one will fit and you can get by on 150AH in a single battery:

https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-VMA...+cycle+battery

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #15

You might find that the efficiency of the inverter is more like 80% when you are only drawing 75 watts on a 3000 watt inverter. Generally the efficiency climbs to over 94% when you hit maybe 20% of the rated wattage of the unit.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #16

Batteries

You can also use 2 - 6 volt batteries in series. 6 volt agm golf cart batteries are widely available
Old 09-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
You can also use 2 - 6 volt batteries in series. 6 volt agm golf cart batteries are widely available
Yes, if you are going to follow the recommendation of replacing the original 12v battery so that you have two of like capacity, you are better to go with 6v batteries. Less space is wasted on insulators, so they have more capacity for any physical size.
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #18

Hmmmm... This was an interesting topic. I, too, use a ResMed (110) CPAP machine, and one time I charged my 2 deep cycle interstate (24) batteries one night and then went to bed using the CPAP machine. About 2:00am I woke up to a beeping sound and the XanTrex inverter had a red light blinking on it. I checked the batteries and they had discharged to almost nothing. I did have my inverter attached to the batteries in parallel and had all cables the same length which was about 4 feet. (awg4 cable) Don't know what I did wrong, but haven't used CPAP since that first time. I am definitely not electrically inclined. :-(
bradybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I have an older Res-Med unit too. I had it calibrated a few years ago and it still works great. I think many are actually 12v units. My 12v plug goes into my unit and straight to the 12v plug nothing inline. I keep that one in the camper.
My new one has heated hoses and all kinds of stuff. I figure it's a power hog but I have never tried it on the camper batteries.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
You might find that the efficiency of the inverter is more like 80% when you are only drawing 75 watts on a 3000 watt inverter. Generally the efficiency climbs to over 94% when you hit maybe 20% of the rated wattage of the unit.
So the more demand the more efficient?
I had believed it was the opposite. Thanks.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
battery, cat