Old 09-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #21

Resmed cpap draws no more than 75 watts if you turn off the hose heat and humidifier, otherwise twice that
That's about 6 amps of DC. A couple og deep cycles should handle that for 8 hours.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #22

My battery of choice is a FLA Duracell GC-2 from Batteries Plus; the 6 volt 230Ah in series they are Deka GC-15 made by East Penn under different names on them. A little over a hundred bucks a pop. Your 3000W inverter is going to waste some energy but you own it. I would be concerned more with how you put those electrons back and the typical converter doesnt do well, especially not in a few hours. PDI has models with the Wizard and IOTA has IQ-4.. both pretty good. A generator charging via a converter is not ideal and takes more time than you might imagine... this could have you at the begining of the evening at 70% to 80% thinking you are full. My 2000w magnum PSW has a 4 or 5 stage 100A charger that will bring 4 of those batteries from 50% to full (to 1.275 SG) in about 2-1/2 hours .. and does it on shore or a Honda EU2000W inverter type genny... you don't need 4 and would imagine it take about 1 to 1-1/2 hours for a pair to be happy. I would only use SLA or AGM if the location prevents you from checking them or off gassing is an issue . Obviously you can not check SG on them. For me, not worth the money difference. FLA is a technology that has been proven for decades
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #23

If you're gonna go for top quality AGM's...then I'd suggest Trojans or Lifelines.
Get the biggest ones that will fit in your space.
With your Xantrex...did you also get a battery monitoring and control panel?
If not...I suggest real battery monitor like the Victron or Trimetric will help you both preserve your new investment and understand exactly how much capacity you have left (in amp hours or hours at present usage rate) and when your AGM's are 100% charged. Unlike wet cells...AGM's are more sensitive to being fully recharged...and you'll save gas no overdoing it as well.
Simple install requiring only mechanical skills.

Finally...AGM's are capable of taking a charge at at least TWICE the rate of wet cells which are limited to roughly 25% of their rated amp hours.
So a pair of Group 27 AGM's rated at 200 amp hours...can be charged at 100amps in bulk stage. Obviously this can save you a lot of time and $$ compared to a standard 50 amp charger FR uses in a lot of products. To take advantage of this, you need a bigger charger AND bigger wiring from charger to battery to handle the current (bigger fuse near the battery too!)
Since you have a 3000 watt Xantrex....i'm thinking you might have the one that also contains a 150amp+ charger built in. If so...take advantage of it with your new batts by stringing new cable (based on the current and length of run). If not...might be something to ask Santa for down the road. The IOTA DLS90 with IQ4 would be a good choice.

BTW,,,here's a DC wire size calculator for you. https://bulkwire.com/help/recommende...uge-calculator
Note that length of wire is for the ROUND TRIP between charger I.E 15 feet separation = 30 feet of wire.

Good luck!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
My machine didn't come with an adapter so 110 is the only option (I use an older Res-Med unit). Some things never wear out.
You can by an adapter from res med. I have one.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #25

Correction the MS line of inverter / chargers from Magnum Energy, has a 125A charger. When I was trying to find out about AGM for the RV, it seemed to me that I could not get an unbiased opinion. The companies singing its praises were selling them ... and selling a lot of them, which to me smelled like marketing hype. Having worked with flooded batteries in the telecom industry and seeing lead acid batteries last 30 - 40 years, I guess I just trust them more. I could not justify spending $1200 to $1400 on batteries that I could verify was a wise purchase.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #26

Be sure your charger or converter is designed for AGM batteries. Their charge requirements are different than wet cell. Call the manufacturer if unsure.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Take the advice from "The 12 Volt Side Of Life" with a grain of salt. There are some statements made that are a bit far from accurate.

Which ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #28

Wet cells are by far the best bargain for coach house batteries, and 6 volt are better than 12 volt. Trojan and others make durable and excellent deep cycle batteries. AGM is really not worth it unless your batteries are in the living space and you can't live with venting. There is also a lot of interesting data on floating some oil on the cells of flooded cell batteries to eliminate the corrosion problems on leads, connections, etc. haven't tried it yet but I am going to.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #29
Lost in time

I have a couple issues.. One, my 'coach' is a Palomino Backpack Slide in truck camper so my batteries are in my living (camping) space and not in a tray somewhere, consequently the non fuming AGM type would probably be the best bet.

Secondly, space is limited. I like the idea of 2 6 volt batteries in series but I will say that the supplied with deep cycle exide the camper came with and the Xantrex 3000 watt PSW inverter has handled the Res Med all night, no issue, I actually have 12.5 volts showing on my cheapo cigarette lighter socket plug in voltmeter in the morning. I think (without looking at the manual (which is in the camper and not here) the threshold low voltage alarm is 11.5 volts.

I did my research so I knew that any inverter that isn't shut down, draws idle current, not much, but some, so I opted for the remote shut off because I have the inverter mounted in the mechanical bay which is under the dinette seat and kind of a PITA to get to, to shut off every morning. It lives in there with everything electrical and mechanical, including the battery in it's vented battery box.

I hard wired the output to a GFI outlet near the bed and labeled it INVERTER ONLY so no one mistakes it for a shore power 110 outlet.

I really want to step up to a group 31 no matter what design I do use.

...and on the comments about having a CPAP 'calibrated', I 'calibrate' my own. There are many posts on the net concerning setting them.

My prime motovator for increasing storage capacity is I want to use my powered humifidier. The Xantrex is well up to the task, it's a 3K watt unit, my battery as it stands, isn't.

I could run my genny all night but I don't want to listen to the noise. I boondock camp so quiet is essential.

So, I can go all night (7-8 hours) on my present battery, no issue but it's not enough for the humidifier. The camper draws very little other than whatever the frig draws on propane (I suspect milliamps) and the lights are all LED's. I use a windup clock (yes, you can still get a windup clock) and my radio is a C.C. Crane Solar Observer, batteries or solar powered...(actually a nice Am/Fm/ Weather Band radio that has a pleasant, not tinney tone to it).

I'm thoroughly (addicted) to my CPAP, been snoozing on one for decades and having experienced a night without and waking up a zombie... I need it every night, which is why I actually own 3 machines, not just one. Cannot afford a breakdown.

........and I charge the camper battery every day for a couple hours with the inverter genny, usually in the evening before bed time and that seems sufficient, I say seems. Not sure if the battery is getting fully charged but it carries the CPAP all night.

I have not a clue what the power center in the camper does (other than convert 110 a/c to 12 dc) and distribute power to everything, seems to work fine.

My motto with electricity is, if it works, don't screw with it...
Old 09-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

........and I charge the camper battery every day for a couple hours with the inverter genny, usually in the evening before bed time and that seems sufficient, I say seems. Not sure if the battery is getting fully charged but it carries the CPAP all night.
You are murdering your battery. AGM's are even less tolerant of this type of treatment. You need a true battery monitor based on your description of use.
Keep your new AGM's above 50% discharge and always fill them 100% which can NOT be achieved in 2 hours. Volt meters are NOT any help to this process other than to tell you that your battery is dead or that your charger is working.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cat