Originally Posted by beachcamper
Today I Found my battery completely dead, like zero volts. I go out to the storage lot once a month in November, December, January and February and plug the camper in to my truck generator for an hour or so and check everything out. We usually camp a couple of weeks a month the rest of the year so the battery stays up. Looks like I somehow left the little light on the power tongue jack on. I have the battery on a charger in my garage now. Hopefully it comes back. It is only 2 years old.
My battery is just under 2 years and it's weak. My 2104 Rockwood draws 50 ma with the battery disconnect off. The switch has to be on to charge the battery (from the AC shore power connection) but if you just unplug the AC and forget to push the disconnect, it'll kill the battery pretty quickly.
Also, as I learned from some of the more knowledgeable forum members, IMO a hydrometer (8 bucks at Autozone) is an excellent, if not the best way to test a battery. The original battery that I mistreated will take a charge and read fully charged, according to voltage. However, the hydrometer shows the real state of the battery which is apparently sulfated as it will not charge to SP of 1275 (green on the hydrometer) and runs down rather quickly.
IMO, As mentioned, the best thing is to either disconnect the battery at the battery or put a disconnect at the battery.