Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Independent AC Shore cord

I have a 33' TT with 30 amp service and, like everyone else, have trouble with AC running and Microwave on at the same time, tripping the breaker. And I know its not possible to run them both on a 30 amp service. I saw a fellow camper this past summer who had wired his AC to an independent shore cord, and thus, had no breaker tripping problems. He told me how great it was to not have to worry with what he turned on while his AC was running, but before I could get the details of how he did it, he had left the campground. I have since heard of several campers doing the same with thier AC cords.

I am curious about how to do it?.. Is it safe and reliable?.... what are the cons of doing this?... and exactly how is it done?

Any help or advise?
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Try a 50-30amp adapter, if 50 amp is available. I always am hooked to 50 amp, even though my 5er is currently 30 amp. I run the ac, microwave, fan and tv all at once (in 100į+) and it works,- now turn the hot water heater on too and the breaker ( trailer) trips. My trailer is a 2013, so maybe some stuff is more energy efficient?

If you are really wanting a seperate cord for the ac it would be real simple in my opinion. But you still need a breaker for the ac unit in the trailer (to meet code standards), so may not be real easy for most folks. Probably some people don't do that- but my family ain't staying with them either.
- it would be much easier to run a cord to a microwave wouldn't it?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you have a true 30 amps available you should be able to use a/c and microwave at the same time .
normal appliance amp draws
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

Turbo is right. We have no problem running the A/C and microwave at the same time in our 30 amp Class C, but it will trip the breaker if the water heater is also running. Use Turbo's load table to figure your total load and find out if it's below 30 amps with the A/C and microwave running in addition to all the other loads such as the TV plus the convertor load running lights and charging your house battery.

The problem could be a weak breaker. They don't all trip at exactly the rated amps. You didn't say if your TT breaker or the campsite breaker is tripping, or if, like happens with us, it is sometimes one and sometimes the other. Have you had this problem at more than one campsite? If it's your breaker, change it. I don't know about your electrical panel, but the one in our coach uses standard Square D Homeline series household breakers which are available anywhere for about $5.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #5

In my previous 2008 Wildcat fifth wheel with 30 amp service I could run the 15k A/C and microwave, along with the television without any issues at all. During the summer months when the A/C was needed we always used propane for the water heater.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

x2 on 30AMP serv and running A/C and Micro at the same time. Never an issue with 2 different trls. The current trl also has an elect wtr heater too.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

I think that you should check inside the breaker box yo make sure all conections are tight and change the main breaker while your in there.
- of course this problem could be from low voltage at the pedistal.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fyi a bad battery will wack out the converter and put it into full charge mode and draw a ton of amps!

A/c. Microwave and converter on full tilt will trip breaker.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #9

As far as the "independent shore cord" goes, you can buy a Marinco 20 amp inlet and connect whatever you want inside your TT to the separate circuit on the pedestal. That is, assuming there is one at the c/g you're at. Then you could wire the extra circuit to a dedicated receptacle inside, to an A/C or water heater. You would have to install an inline fuse or breaker to downsize from the pedestal's 20 amps to the 15 amp load you want to supply. You *could* sorta brag that you have a "50 amper" since you would have 30 + 20 amps into the trailer, lol.

I can see how you could trip the 30 amp main from time to time with A/C running, microwave, some 12 volt loads running through the converter and maybe some other loads like TV and something else. Run a hair dryer, toaster, or coffee maker at the same time and you will trip the 30 amp main for sure.