Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #1

Inline fuse at battery?

My dad just bought an older 2001 camper, and it has what appears to be a fuse-holder (without a fuse) up near the battery, inline with the hot battery lead. The previous owner kept all paperwork, and Dad is reading up on everything (this is his first camper), but there are no specifics about what fuse type/rating to use there.

I seem to remember that my 2000 Coleman Mesa popup had a self-resetting fuse for that purpose, but my 2004 Surveyor hybrid does not.

1. Do newer campers make due with fuses at the converter/distribution panel? Why is this acceptable now, and not before?
2. What size fuse should Dad use in that fuse holder?
3. Any other things to look for?
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
My dad just bought an older 2001 camper, and it has what appears to be a fuse-holder (without a fuse) up near the battery, inline with the hot battery lead. The previous owner kept all paperwork, and Dad is reading up on everything (this is his first camper), but there are no specifics about what fuse type/rating to use there.

I seem to remember that my 2000 Coleman Mesa popup had a self-resetting fuse for that purpose, but my 2004 Surveyor hybrid does not.

1. Do newer campers make due with fuses at the converter/distribution panel? Why is this acceptable now, and not before?
2. What size fuse should Dad use in that fuse holder?
3. Any other things to look for?
What is the converter rated for? I have a 30amp rated converter and I have a 30A inline fuse from the battery line to the converter.
I believe some popups do not come with the automatic circuit breaker and a fuse is used.
So I would guess the fuse should be the same rating as the maximum of the converter.
Why did they change? Who knows! Probably cost.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I would start out with a 30 amp fuse and see how that faired. It will be correct for most campers. If you routinely blow 30 amps I would look at why.

Remember that the converter is sized to provide 12 volt DC power to all your onboard appliances and what is left is available to charge your battery.

I have a 45 amp converter and my fuse is 30 amps.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, fuse