Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #1

Installed Battery Charger question

Before I'm asked, I don't have my manuals in front of me, which is where I may find the answer to my question. But everyone here is a WEALTH of knowledge and information.

I just installed a second Interstate Group 24 battery (HD24-DP) to my 2018 Forest River MicroLite 21FBRS. The two batteries are only three months different in age, so IMHO, they're the same age. I charged them both to 100% on an external charger before I put them in the battery box, so they're starting off at the same charge level.

My question is, do I need (need not want) to upgrade the installed charger built into the power panel to adequately maintian these two batteries while on shore power? FYI, they are in a (new) PowerArmor Solar box, and the charging circuit from the TV works.

Please don't turn this into a discussion about the merits and disadvantages of various battery chemistry types (AGM vice Gel vice Lithium) or the benefits of going with two 6V Golf Cart batteries. At some point I will install a power management system, but for now, I'm using a dogbone surge protector on my 30 amp power supply.

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #2

Nope, the installed power converter will continue to function as designed.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Nope, the installed power converter will continue to function as designed.
Thanks, Scott. That was what I was thinking and hoping. But as I have always been told, "trust but verify."
Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Your current converter will charge them fine. Just be aware that your TV will do little to charge ( other than maintain) the batteries unless you have upgraded it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #5

Two batteries standard equipment at my dealer

My dealer ships out all TT with two batteries installed. The charger sees them as one battery and the power consumed is the same whether you have one or two batteries so the charge time will be almost the same as charging one battery.

Caution: when you parallel batteries there will always be some current flowing in the circuit due to minor differences in age and capacity. If you store the trailer for a long time without being plugged into house power either disconnect the negative cable between them or charge them periodically.

To help even out the load I connect the positive cable from the TT to one battery and the negative cable from the TT to the other battery rather than have both cables on one battery with wires connecting the second battery to the first.

Enjoy.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
Caution: when you parallel batteries there will always be some current flowing in the circuit due to minor differences in age and capacity. If you store the trailer for a long time without being plugged into house power either disconnect the negative cable between them or charge them periodically.
Thanks. I just finished installing my Torklift PowerArmor Solar box which will (should) keep them topped up in storage. I was just outside with the sun low in the sky and put a voltmeter on the output of the panel. It showed 18vdc, and dropped to 16 when I stepped in to shade it with my body. Looking forward to seeing what I get after a month of storage.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Bene Gesserit Rule

With battery chargers for deep cycle batteries, one of, if not THE principal thing is the ability of the charger to charge the batteries the right way within a reasonable amount of time. I have no idea what type of charger is in your vehicle type so... If you have a 30-50 amp multi-stage charger, you can charge anything, fairly quickly but more importantly, safely. These things manage the initial charge, the mid-stage level and the long-term float stages.

If you don't have on of these, I would suggest you get one. Min 30 amp.
In fact 35 amp, 7 stage chargers from mobs like Projecta are quite reasonably priced (here in Australia they go for around $300). Mine (which replaced the factory supplied 35 amp 3 stage unit that failed after just 12 months) has been handling my two parallel 120ah Full River deep cycle AGM batteries (which replaced a single who-knows-what 120ah that died after being maltreated by an ignorant moron-me) quite nicely.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #8

If your Converter/Charger is a WFCO brand, be aware that they rarely actually work as a true 3 stage charger. It is known that they do not go into fast charge (bulk Mode) unless the battery bank is at or below 12 volts, which is 50% state of charge and the maximum recommended lower limit of battery discharge.

Bottom line is that your batteries will charge very slowly at 13.6 volts. Using a dedicated automotive charger will speed up the charging process if you do not have the camper plugged in for many hours.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If your Converter/Charger is a WFCO brand, be aware that they rarely actually work as a true 3 stage charger. It is known that they do not go into fast charge (bulk Mode) unless the battery bank is at or below 12 volts, which is 50% state of charge and the maximum recommended lower limit of battery discharge.

Bottom line is that your batteries will charge very slowly at 13.6 volts. Using a dedicated automotive charger will speed up the charging process if you do not have the camper plugged in for many hours.
Also be aware they do fail and usually at the worst possible time/location, mine did.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #10

If a member were thinking about replacing both batteries is a little Sunseeker,,,
Which brand & style would be the best bang for the money ???
I see Wally World has some ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #11

If you don't often boondock, and you don't need the absolute maximum usable capacity (In time and amp. hours), the cheaper "RV/Marine" class of batteries are fine. If you will need more capacity than they provide, step up in price and quality to something like Trojan or Lifeline.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If you don't often boondock, and you don't need the absolute maximum usable capacity (In time and amp. hours), the cheaper "RV/Marine" class of batteries are fine. If you will need more capacity than they provide, step up in price and quality to something like Trojan or Lifeline.
Don't really need max capacity,,, would just like batteries that would last a few years,,, may look @ Motorcraft,,, have had Great luck with them !!!
My F-150 truck battery was over 10 years old when I changed it,,, it was not dead,,, I just did not want to put it thru another Michigan winter !!!
Changed our EDGE battery @ 6 years old this fall,,, because I found a sale + a coupon for free install !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, led