Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Installed EMS, now no battery power?

I recently had Progressive Industries HW50C installed. It is inline after the ATS, just before the breaker box. Now when plugged in, everything is perfect. Everything works, 12v as well as 110v, the voltage readings are good, etc. but when I unplug from shore power, I have no 12v at all. Battery charging when plugged in at 13+v, holding charge when unplugged at 12.6v. The battery disconnect is switched on, is it possible that switch is bad? It got moved for install... Thanks in advance for the expert help you folks provide! If it's something simple please don't beat up the newbie!
Old 10-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottoms View Post
I recently had Progressive Industries HW50C installed. It is inline after the ATS, just before the breaker box. Now when plugged in, everything is perfect. Everything works, 12v as well as 110v, the voltage readings are good, etc. but when I unplug from shore power, I have no 12v at all. Battery charging when plugged in at 13+v, holding charge when unplugged at 12.6v. The battery disconnect is switched on, is it possible that switch is bad? It got moved for install... Thanks in advance for the expert help you folks provide! If it's something simple please don't beat up the newbie!
When plugged into shore power, your 12 volt stuff works off the converter. When not, it works off the battery.

Have you tried turning the battery disconnect to OFF, and see it that changes things, when not connected to shore power?

Many time with a disconnect, ON means it is disconnected from battery.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

According to Bryan at FR ON=Battery on and OFF = Battery off
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #4

Yeah in the past on=on
Old 10-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

Well he's wrong on mine. I hate the way they labeled it. Or maybe that's what you're saying. I get crosseyed thinking of on/off backwards.

ON means "The DISCONNECT portion of this thing is not working, and the batteries are being charged and all is hunky dory"

and
OFF means "The DISCONNECT portion of this thingy is DISCONNECTED and your batteries are not connected to doodley squat".

YOURS may be wired different. These things are all different it seems. But I guarantee that's how mine is.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

I think it (progressive) should have been wired in before the ATS, spiking from your generator or mis=wire is not normally a problem.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I think it (progressive) should have been wired in before the ATS, spiking from your generator or mis=wire is not normally a problem.
Yeah I deliberated about that. The internet seems to be tied on which way is best. The dealership said it didn't matter... I hope that's not the problem, then I would have to have it redone
Old 10-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

there have been many times on the forum where folks have had problems when trying to tie their surge protectors into generators. Is JMHO but it would have it rewired before the auto transfer switch. Let the forum know what you fine or do to correct the problem
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
there have been many times on the forum where folks have had problems when trying to tie their surge protectors into generators. Is JMHO but it would have it rewired before the auto transfer switch. Let the forum know what you fine or do to correct the problem
Thank you!
Old 10-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #10

Just remember that the batteries will not/should not connect through either the ATS or the EMS. Instead, they should have a feed line going directly to the 12-volt side of the breaker box. You mentioned that the Battery disconnect switch was moved, so, obviously, the wiring (in/out) was disconnected at some point during the install.
One thing to check is to make sure that the wire coming from the switch (the hot lead-wire) was reconnected to the breaker-box, specifically check to make sure it didn't come loose accidentally when moving things around.
mmcbride56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbride56 View Post
Just remember that the batteries will not/should not connect through either the ATS or the EMS. Instead, they should have a feed line going directly to the 12-volt side of the breaker box. You mentioned that the Battery disconnect switch was moved, so, obviously, the wiring (in/out) was disconnected at some point during the install.
One thing to check is to make sure that the wire coming from the switch (the hot lead-wire) was reconnected to the breaker-box, specifically check to make sure it didn't come loose accidentally when moving things around.
Good stuff. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbride56 View Post
I wonder why the 12v systems would work (lights etc) when plugged in though?
Old 10-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottoms View Post
I wonder why the 12v systems would work (lights etc) when plugged in though?
The 12V is being supplied by your converter while on shore power.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
The 12V is being supplied by your converter while on shore power.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #15

I was told the generator circuits (Onan) have their own protection so I elected to wire my EMS to shore power only. Made sense to me that there is more of an issue with shore power and I've found that to be the case for our 5 month journey.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToLearn View Post
I was told the generator circuits (Onan) have their own protection so I elected to wire my EMS to shore power only. Made sense to me that there is more of an issue with shore power and I've found that to be the case for our 5 month journey.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #17

The ATS and EMS are TOTALLY separate from your 12 volt DC system and are not the cause of your issue. I used to be an Electronics Technician at a major civilian contractor doing work for the government. We were reconditioning electronic equipment and the workers replaced bad wires and added new wires using only white hookup wire. All original wires were colored. Most of the time, when troubleshooting a failure, it was due to a white wire not installed properly. Since you say the installer moved your battery disconnect, my gut instinct says they reconnected it improperly.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
Site Team

Check the reverse protection fuses just in case. They are the higher current fuses on the fuse panel ( usually 30-40A). A possible short during the install could have blown them

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
The ATS and EMS are TOTALLY separate from your 12 volt DC system and are not the cause of your issue. I used to be an Electronics Technician at a major civilian contractor doing work for the government. We were reconditioning electronic equipment and the workers replaced bad wires and added new wires using only white hookup wire. All original wires were colored. Most of the time, when troubleshooting a failure, it was due to a white wire not installed properly. Since you say the installer moved your battery disconnect, my gut instinct says they reconnected it improperly.
That's what I thought. That's why I am confused lol. Thanks for the info, I will troubleshoot at next opportunity...
Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Check the reverse protection fuses just in case. They are the higher current fuses on the fuse panel ( usually 30-40A). A possible short during the install could have blown them
Thanks. I will check those first!

Tags
battery, led, power