Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Installed Inverter/Charger...Surge Protector now tripping

I have a 30a service trailer and have been using a portable surge protector (Surge Guard) all along. I installed a Xantrex ProSine 3.0 Inverter/Charger which is a 3000w continuous pure sine wave inverter w/120a battery charger, and has a built in AC transfer switch. It is permanently hard wired inline between my shore power connector and breaker panel. All systems tested and work great as expected....except one thing. On my first trip out since this install, I tried to use my portable surge protector on the power pedestal and the surge protector kept tripping instantly. I checked and double checked all wiring, voltages, polarity, etc. in both my RV and the pedestal, and found no errors. I eventually went forth and plugged in without the surge protector and camped all weekend without issue.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to why this would happen?
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

Well, I just went out and placed the portable surge protector inline here at the house. It works just fine and does not trip. I guess there must have been something up with the power at the campground? It tested at 118v w/proper wiring and no "open ground" condition?? Still looking for thoughts and/or ideas.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 04-28-2015, 01:52 AM   #3
Just a member

Interesting. Pinged the Xantrex site and noted right off that the PROsine 3.0 appears to be offered in a 24v variety only. Your inverter, I assume, is being employed in a 12v RV system. Your inverter is switchable 12/24v?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

I appreciate you taking the time to look into my problem. My 3.0 is 12v...they discontinued the 12v version and now only sell it in a 24v.

I'm guessing it had something to do with the incredibly high current needed for 3000w at 12v (over 250 amps). The most load I ever anticipate is less than half of what this inverter is capable of, so I went with a 150a breaker and 2ga wire (about a 3' circuit).
Old 04-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #5
Just a member

Hmmm... now wondering why Xantrex discontinued the 12v version. You might be on to something in that regard. That's a big load for a 12v DC supply. You'd need a honk'n big 12v DC source. Have you pinged Xantrex re your issue?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I have a 30a service trailer and have been using a portable surge protector (Surge Guard) all along. I installed a Xantrex ProSine 3.0 Inverter/Charger which is a 3000w continuous pure sine wave inverter w/120a battery charger, and has a built in AC transfer switch. It is permanently hard wired inline between my shore power connector and breaker panel. All systems tested and work great as expected....except one thing. On my first trip out since this install, I tried to use my portable surge protector on the power pedestal and the surge protector kept tripping instantly. I checked and double checked all wiring, voltages, polarity, etc. in both my RV and the pedestal, and found no errors. I eventually went forth and plugged in without the surge protector and camped all weekend without issue.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to why this would happen?
Was it raining at all? I have the same Surge Guard, went thru two before they found the problem. I called the (hot line) they said take it back to CW and get a new one. I did that and they even called CW for me. That one didn't work after a few times either. I called Surge Guard again. This time they asked me to send it to them and sent me a shipping label. About a week later I had a call from them telling me they sent a new one to me and found that a batch got out with the slightest crack at the seal where the wire was attached. When any moisture got in it would trip and not reset. After 24 hrs put in my basement it would dry out and work again. That's until it was a rain or heavy dew. Now no problems in a year since they sent the new one. The only other time was a polarity problem at the CG.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Was it raining at all? I have the same Surge Guard, went thru two before they found the problem. I called the (hot line) they said take it back to CW and get a new one. I did that and they even called CW for me. That one didn't work after a few times either. I called Surge Guard again. This time they asked me to send it to them and sent me a shipping label. About a week later I had a call from them telling me they sent a new one to me and found that a batch got out with the slightest crack at the seal where the wire was attached. When any moisture got in it would trip and not reset. After 24 hrs put in my basement it would dry out and work again. That's until it was a rain or heavy dew. Now no problems in a year since they sent the new one. The only other time was a polarity problem at the CG.

That's an interesting thought. It was not raining that trip, but the surge protector has seen it's share of rain in the past (without issue I should add). Based on your story, I believe my Surge Guard is roughly the same age as the ones you had problems with. If moisture is what caused the tripping, it's awfully coincidental it never happened until the very first time after the inverter install. I will keep this in mind if it happens again.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
That's a big load for a 12v DC supply. You'd need a honk'n big 12v DC source.

Yes, and get this...I got my inverter used. It was originally part of a PAIR of them installed in a high end Marathon Coach to give 50A service off of batteries! (I believe they used 4 8D's).

I have not contacted Xantrex at this point. Since the surge protector is currently working fine here at the house, I'm leaning towards thinking there was an issue with the pedestal. It tested as wired correctly and showed 118v though?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

When you plug in the SurgeGuard it will check the incoming power from the pedestal and not your Xantrex which is on the receiving side. It is probably a problem at the pedestal or in the SurgeGuard.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

The charger could be producing harmonics on the lines some 12 volt chargers causes harmonics that put a lot of noise on the line the noise on the line so you will have spikes that follow the sinewave
bleurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #11

Well, I have an update. I have now discovered that the tripping vs not tripping is related to whether or not I have a proper earth ground in my AC line to the trailer.

The extension cord I have been using to plug the trailer in here at home was missing it's ground prong. Without this ground prong, the Surge Protector allows the trailer to have AC power. I replaced the end on this cord yesterday and now the surge protector trips every time just like it did at the campground (no extension cord was being used at the CG). Since an earth ground is proper, I have now confirmed that something in the inverter/install is causing the surge protector to instantly trip.

Thoughts...this inverter defaults to an automatic mode where it monitors the load side and turns on the inverter when/if it senses a predetermined user programmable load level (0 to xxx watts). I wonder if this load sensing system is somehow causing the surge protector to trip? Also, the manual for the inverter called for a separate wire from the chassis of the inverter, to the chassis of the trailer (in addition to the DC ground).??

Tags
inverter, led