Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Question Installing a 12 volt receptacle

I would like to add a couple 12 volt receptacles to the bunks so I can place a couple fans for the kids (one for each bunk). It gets stuffy in their beds and fans would help. There are a couple of well placed lights that I could tap into (the pantry is on the other side) but I do not know how to go about installing these receptacles. I have done a Google search and there doesn't seem to be a good set of step-by-step instructions. Could someone help me with how to go about adding these receptacles? I am not the most handy person but I sure would like to learn and do it myself rather than having someone else do it for me. Thanks in advance!

2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
2011 Ram 2500HD Hemi
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Without seeing the unit or knowing where you want the receptacles it's a difficult answer. The outlets are about 3" deep therefore need a 3" deep space. The hole can be drilled with a 3/4" hole saw, then screw on the outer shell after inserting the main body through the 7/8" hole created by the holesaw. The centre terminal is the positive and the screwed-on back shell is the negative side. Be sure to pick up the live side of the lights, not the switched side or the fan won't work with the lights off.

oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
You may want to consider using an SAE Connectoer (radio shack), the cig lighter will require a 3" deep hole and finishing work, the SAE is a simple wire that you can tap onto the DC and then rewire the Fan cord with the mate SAE connector, and Velcro or surface mount the plug.
Just an option as long as you are picking up DC 12 volt for the Fans. There are finished looking ones as well i picked this picture since it show the separate wires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saelead48.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	17579  
2011 GMC 3500HD 4x4 Crew DRW Duramax
Pullrite 20.5K
2012 Sierra 365SAQ
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote

12 volt