Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Installing a wired rear view safety camera

Looking for advise on running the video wire of a wired rear view camera on my 2017 Sanibel 5th wheel. I would like to run the wire unseen if possible. Is there a good way to do it? Any assistance is appreciated. Not sure if it is feasible or not.
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #2

I haven't done it we have a wireless system but the only way I could figure to get the wire from the camera mostly hidden would be to run it down the ladder and underneath the full length of the trailer. You might be able to bring the wire up into the front compartment and fish it from there to the pinbox where your regular electric cord comes out. From there you would use a waterproof connector to the wires going to the monitor in the truck.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

Thanks I am finding it a difficult task without opening a large can of worms. So many negative comments about Wirless systems
Old 12-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Team

I ran 1" Carlon flex conduit ( see below) along the frame from the hitch to the rear bumper. I removed the screws holding the coraplast to the underbelly and reinstalled them in 1/2 clamps to hold the flex conduit. Before you install it run a pull string through the conduit to pull the camera wire through. Be sure to rerun a new pull string to leave in the conduit should you want to add other wiring ( back up lights) in the future.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3...-100/100404116

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-...nduit+hanger+c

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

I've always installed a wired rear view camera on my last 3 fivers. On my Montana's it was easy to go from the center clearance light on the back cap over to the side one, then on down the back wall to the belly with the help of fish tape. On my Silverback I wasn't able to go from the center clearance light over to the side one because of how the rear wall is made. Since I have cabinets across the top of the rear wall inside, I just drilled a hole in the center of the outside wall below the clearance lights clear thru to the inside of the cabinets, ran the coax wire over to a hole I drilled directly behind the side light ... into the wall, then on down to the bottom of the rear wall. I drilled a hole in the lower rear wall of the front storage compartment ... from there using a fish tape, I pulled the coax inside the belly on thru the rear wall of the front storage compartment. From there I ran the coax across the roof of the storage compartment .. under the bedroom floor and on out the pin box area where the breakaway cord is attached. I have a connector inside the truck bed over the wheel well that I plug in to that goes on up to the monitor I mounted between the sun visors. It took a little while and a bit of patience, but the only wires you see are from the pin box to the bed connector. I've not had good luck with wireless cameras and how they are powered, but that experience was several years ago. I got my camera kit from RV Cams down in Louisiana and it has worked flawlessly on my last 3 fivers. Tim is always available to steer you straight.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I ran 1" Carlon flex conduit ( see below) along the frame from the hitch to the rear bumper. I removed the screws holding the coraplast to the underbelly and reinstalled them in 1/2 clamps to hold the flex conduit. Before you install it run a pull string through the conduit to pull the camera wire through. Be sure to rerun a new pull string to leave in the conduit should you want to add other wiring ( back up lights) in the future.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3...-100/100404116

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-...nduit+hanger+c

How did you go from the rear bumper up to the roof for the camera?
Old 12-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #7

I’ve done a lot of Home wiring not sure what to expect in the RV wall. DW is concerned about putting holes in her new home. The more knowledge I have up front the safer I’ll feel. Thanks
Old 12-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand2328 View Post
How did you go from the rear bumper up to the roof for the camera?
Didn't I mounted camera on the rear bumper. When aimed correctly covers both ground and limbs that might cause a problem.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 12-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Didn't I mounted camera on the rear bumper. When aimed correctly covers both ground and limbs that might cause a problem.

Ok thanks merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

I mounted all mine above the rear window and below the clearance lights. We tow a SeaDoo squirt boat and I prefer looking down on things. Staring at the hitch ball wouldn't show what we want to monitor.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Garman sells a awesome G.P.S. with back up camara, back up cam sells separately.
It has a sending unit with a long video cord to camara. I bought a extra cord for the length. Then fished power wires from the pin box into the 5th wheel storage. Installed sending unit there. Fished the video wire out under the floor. Ran it along the ibeam of trailer to the back. Tied that down with plastic ties were i could, then caulked and painted over the entire wire. You cant even see it. Brought video out along rear bumper and up behind spare tire. Encased that wire in a plastic, not sure what its called, tube with tape on one side so it sticks to trailer back wall with no screws. THE power is wired into my 5th wheel cable that plugs into truck, the middle post on those are hooked up for back up power so there is an extra wire there. It works when my truck is out into reverse
mustardjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:10 AM   #12

I think there is a difference between having a full time camera and one that only works in reverse.

Personally, I want a camera that works full time because I want to see what is behind me as I drive.

That said, I am unsure about the quality of a wireless system. My 5er is almost 42 feet long and then my truck. I want the video to be clear and lots of detail. Will wireless do that for me?

So, does anyone have experience with full time cameras and monitors? If so, what works best?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

the garman will work awesome for you, as It is wire less but the receiving unit will be right behind your truck in your cargo hold prob only 10 or less feet away from your unit. Also you dont need to wire it to your reverse wire you can wire it to your tail lights and to use camera just turn on your park lights. From the receiving unit to the camara is all hard wired. You will need to buy the extra length of wire from garman or have a electronics shop add one for you.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/570074
mustardjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #14

Don't know why you found the wireless ones unacceptable. I use a Furion on my Crusader and it works very well. I double hitch with a boat on the back and I can keep a close eye on the whole rig, and see anyone roaring up to pass on either side. Also found it great for identifying obstacles when backing, but find it confusing so still use my mirrors instead, but it tells me when I'm getting close, I just have my DW stand where I can see her in the mirrors, not in the camera. All of the weakness in a rearview system are present whether wireless, or wired. Furion mount works perfectly for mounting camera, and you wire into the center running light for power. The Furion system was a little more expensive than others but worth it cause it works.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #15

Like I said .. the wireless ones I tried were of an 8 years ago vintage. I double tow, so I had mine on all the time when I was trying it out. When I would go thru towns, I'd get a 30 sec here and 30 sec there of people's back yard security camera images. It didn't have a repeater available then, so due to my length ... images came and went constantly traveling down the road. With the current Furions you have to get the camera that matches your use. Many first out OEM mounted Furions failed because the camera model was not made for continuous on operation and the power wiring varied between running lights and backup lights. My wired camera is powered off the in-cab monitor, so I don't have to deal with any of that. When I turn the monitor on ... the camera is powered up. I know it takes a bit of time to run a coax, but that was no issue to me. I'm glad you have had good luck with your wireless ... my wired has worked well for me for several years on 3 different fivers.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
Site Team

The systems are basically the same. They contain a wire that powers them on when the vehicle is put in reverse. That wire is usually connected to the backup lights ( backup only option). If you want them on all the time, you can simply connect that wire to any power source that is on when the ignition is on. In some places, it is illegal to have the camera on all the time hence the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I think there is a difference between having a full time camera and one that only works in reverse.

Personally, I want a camera that works full time because I want to see what is behind me as I drive.

That said, I am unsure about the quality of a wireless system. My 5er is almost 42 feet long and then my truck. I want the video to be clear and lots of detail. Will wireless do that for me?

So, does anyone have experience with full time cameras and monitors? If so, what works best?

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 12-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #17

Do you know where it is illegal? Not that they could catch you with this, but I would want to know just in case...
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #18
Site Team

The laws are continually changing as more and more electronics are added to vehicles and many of them have not caught up to technology, but the link below should help.

Telematics - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 12-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Like I said .. the wireless ones I tried were of an 8 years ago vintage. I double tow, so I had mine on all the time when I was trying it out. When I would go thru towns, I'd get a 30 sec here and 30 sec there of people's back yard security camera images. It didn't have a repeater available then, so due to my length ... images came and went constantly traveling down the road. With the current Furions you have to get the camera that matches your use. Many first out OEM mounted Furions failed because the camera model was not made for continuous on operation and the power wiring varied between running lights and backup lights. My wired camera is powered off the in-cab monitor, so I don't have to deal with any of that. When I turn the monitor on ... the camera is powered up. I know it takes a bit of time to run a coax, but that was no issue to me. I'm glad you have had good luck with your wireless ... my wired has worked well for me for several years on 3 different fivers.
Just trying to point out to the OP that while I'm sure there have been issues in the past with wireless, and constant on, the newer systems seem to be addressing those problems. Glad your system is working though, and other than the connection issues and running wire through and over things most are good systems. Always the chance for interference with wireless.
My rig is 34 feet plus the truck length. Wiring into the running light was easy, and the Furion mount looks professional. Biggest problem with all of the systems is the clutter of monitors on your dash. Between TPMS, Rearview monitor, and GPS, getting crowded. Probably the next evolution is Combo units like Garmin has introduced, and Truck manufacturers will probably start having options for built ins like they've done with brake controllers.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Do you know where it is illegal? Not that they could catch you with this, but I would want to know just in case...
What are you referring to? I can turn on the factory backup camera on my Ram while I drive. If I'm parked, it stays on for quite a while, if I'm moving forward it only stays on a few seconds.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety