Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Installing onan 5.5 what do I all need?

Hi there, we are wanting to install an onan 5.5lp generator in our 2014 sierra. Now yes we do want lp and not had or diesel just to clear the air right away. We have the factory gen prep so just curious on what I am all going to need to do the install, of course the unit itself, the harness, and the tailpipe kit. Is there anything I'm missing I see there is some kind of mounting template or bracket or something do I need this as well? Or anything I'm missing. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

Onan install

Onan provides a template for floor plate cut outs and gen mounting bolt hole locations. Onan website has as online version of the template for your gen model number. My Cedar Creek generator prep package included a tail pipe. The prep package also included remote control panel and wiring harness. You will need wiring for AC power from generator to automatic transfer switch. The ATS should be already installed as part of the gen prep package. You will need battery cables run to generator. And you will need propane line with low pressure regulator from tank to gen. I had a mounting base fabbed about 6 inches high to set the gen on with mounting bolts. This frame is bolted to the floor plate. PM me if you want more details.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #3

Thanks man we are just looking to order one up and want to make sure I order the parts I need. I know our prep didn't come with tailpipe. It did come with the transfer switch. So I should just need the 10' harness and 26" tailpipe kit and the unit. Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehorn View Post
Hi there, we are wanting to install an onan 5.5lp generator in our 2014 sierra. Now yes we do want lp and not had or diesel just to clear the air right away. We have the factory gen prep so just curious on what I am all going to need to do the install, of course the unit itself, the harness, and the tailpipe kit. Is there anything I'm missing I see there is some kind of mounting template or bracket or something do I need this as well? Or anything I'm missing. Thanks everyone.
Did you ever get the Generator installed? I just bought a factory prepped unit, and I need some pictures to assist me with installing my genny
Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Hey no we haven't bought a unit yet. Installed a solar system and have been thinking of selling our unit for the past 2 years lol so haven't bit the bullet yet until we officially decide what we are doing with our trailer. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Ok thanks for the reply