Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Installing PI's Hardwire EMS unit

Hello ,

I have a Prime Time Tracer 3150 and going to install an EMS by Progressive Industries. I would like to know if anyone is familer as to where the transfer switch is located and the best/cleanest way to access this area.

My guess is that its under the pantry's bottom shelf. There appears to be a cavity in that area for the power cord to retract into. From the inside there is a 1x1 wood panel directly below the lowest shelf of the pantry that I could cut into, but I want to be 100% certain before doing so.

I shot a message out to Prime Time, but I will not likely get my answer until Monday/Tuesday, so looking to the forum for some insight before I jump in with both feet.

The install seems pretty basic, I'll make certain to disconnect the fuse box, shore and battery power before starting any of this. I just want to confirm where I gain inside access to. The TT fuse box is on the opposite side below the fridge, and completely accessible.

Here is the link to the floor plan - I don't believe I know how to properly embed the Tracer's link but here it goes:

If you can shed any light to this, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks! Joe
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Does you camper even have a transfer switch?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Great question, and I don't know, I know I have a 55 Amp converter. The instructions referenced installing the EMS right after the transfer switch, so, I thought it might have one.

Let's say I don't have one, it still requires to install this EMS between the 30 amp power cord: cord - EMS - cord - plug.

So, looking to further understand how to best access the power cord area and anyone that has experiance with installation.
Semper Fi
Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #4

Just received an update from Prime Time's support!!

f1100turbo, you are correct sir!
There is no Transfer Switch. Prime Time also stated that the shore cord is connected to a junction box just inside the unit and then continues to the breaker box.
Semper Fi
Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

my guess would be to locate it close to the breaker box as possible. disconnect the shore power cable from the breaker box and connect that to the surge suppressor. then purchace the proper size cable to connect between the breaker box and the surge suppressor.
sounds like they were describing a way to connect w/o cutting the main cable and have use of the surge guard regardless of the a/c source.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

Completed the install, The access panel at the pantry Made it very simple to do the job. I connected it to the junction box and I was done! I like that I'm now protected from brownouts, spikes and open grounds. One more mod knocked off the list!
Semper Fi
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Commercial Member

JoeyO - I saw your email come in over the weekend and we discussed your request before we replied. You have us curious as to the result. Would you mind posting a pic of this completed mod when you can just so we better understand what customers are trying to do? Thanks!

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Glad to see it worked out as you planned. It seems like a worth while modification to be added to the ever increasing list of I want I want I wants.

Just remember

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #9

Tracer 3150BHD installation pictures of Progressivce Industries EMS-HW30C

Link to pictures are now attached.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

EMS Installation Pictures pictures by joey67usmc - Photobucket

Thanks, Joe
Semper Fi
Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

One additional update on PI's EMS-HW30C, there is a low pitch electrical hum.

There is a round black cylinder in the unit's output side, that the black wire passes through, its basically a big relay.

It relies on a magnetic coil to energize the relay - thus the slight hum. I have not put the unit back in the cavity as I wanted to ensure everything was running properly. Its just additional white noise, but a con vs. the portable version, as you would likely not hear that noise if it were attached to the outside electricle post.

Joe
Semper Fi
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #11

u may reduce the hum if u mount the box on a piece of rubber like a mouse pad. the cover installed will probably block most of it.
behind a wall, i doubt that u will even notice it. looks like a neat job.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #12

After puting the EMS unit back in the cubby and closing it up, I could not hear that hum as before. I asked my DW and she could only hear the hum if she was within 3' of the lower cubby area.

Overall, if you are comfortable with splicing wire, following the written directions and know where your TT's Power Cord Junction box is located, I would say this Mod is pretty easy and not a required dealer install. Just make certain to disconnect your battery and shore power.

Progressive Industries has 24/7 voice mail monitoring support. Their tech called me back on a Sunday about 45 min after I had left a message on their Support Line. PrimeTime's Support responded to my support email request on a Saturday (Thanks Shane I. & RV Guy!) regarding my initial question and a follow up one. So again great products, great people!!!
Semper Fi

Tags
progressive industries, surge guards, transfer switch, fuse