Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
AlR

installing shunt for Trimetric 2030RV battery moniter

Good morning guys.
I bought a Trimetric TM2030RV battery monitor, 500 amp shunt and wiring harness. I have a 2013 Work n Play 18EC toy hauler with dual 6V batteries mounted on the trailer tongue. The batteries ground to the tongue of the trailer and the negative wire is about 2 feet long and exposed to the elements. The shunt is supposed to be protected from the elements so my question is 'where do I mount the shunt'? Should I run the negative battery wire into the trailer, hook to the shunt then run the wire back out to the trailer frame? Can I put the shunt in a small plastic electric box mounted outside on the tongue somewhere close to the battery box, protecting it from the weather ? If I put the shunt in a little electric box, will the shunt get hot because there will be no air circulation in the box?

I don't have any solar charging going on. When I store the trailer I just leave a battery maintainer on it. I'd appreciate any advice from y'all.
AlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Mounting it in a sealed box would be about like running the cable through that box. It shouldn't get hot at all.

I can't imagine you using anywhere near 500 amps, and even if you were using close to 500 amps the shunt wouldn't get hot enough to be a problem mounted in the box.

Tags
battery