Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

Interior lights flicker

My interior lights flicker when I turn on the water and the pump kicks in. This happens when I am hooked up to shore power. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
My interior lights flicker when I turn on the water and the pump kicks in. This happens when I am hooked up to shore power. Is this normal?

I don't think anything with units is normal ironically I just posted a similar post under Berkshire. What make and year is your unit?

Wayne
Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

I have a 2015 Primetime Tracer 3200BHT

Old 09-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

FR says it could be a bad pump motor. Does yours do it when u r solely on batteries no generator or shore power.

Wayne
Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #5

I haven't tried it without being on shore power but I did just try it again at home to see what it done and it don't seem to do it as bad. It is only flickering when the pump first kicks on now so it may have been where so many people were running the A/C's and we had so many things running.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

I had the same issue with my 2014 3200bht. The dealer change the wiring at the breaker / fuels panel. The lights and water pump were using the same power supply. I'm not sure of the fine details but they told me they had to change the wiring around and had the enclosed under cover removed for the repair. It's definitely better. But when running just on batteries and they get low in charge the lights still flicker a little.
Jonny7033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

The water pump draws a substantial current when running, which can temporarily drop the voltage when on battery - especially if the battery charge is low. The output of incandescent light bulbs are quite sensitive to changes in voltage. LED lights are less sensitive to voltage, but simply stop lighting at all if voltage drops below minimum.

If on shore power, the cause of the flickering when the water pump cycles would be marginal wiring - especially likely if the lights are on the same circuit as the pump. The extra current draw of the pump causes a voltage drop in the wiring if the wires aren't as big as they should be.

Ideally, the pump should be on a separate circuit/fuse, and have at least 14 gauge wire.

The above assumes separate return/ground (negative) wires. If the chassis is used for ground, then putting in bigger wires/better connections/separate circuits isn't going to help much. But you can make sure the ground connections are clean metal-to-metal.

Last possibility - that I discovered on my A-frame - is that the wire connections are incredibly crappy. I found the crimped wire nuts had maybe one strand of the two wires actually touching inside the nut. When I found out how poorly the wire nuts were put on, I was astounded anything worked. A winter project one of these days is to completely rewire and label the factory-made rat's nest behind my converter/load center.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light