Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #1

Interstate Battery Help

The_Filly (my lady) has a connection to purchase Interstate Batteries. So I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction on what the different Interstate Batteries offer for our new toyhauler.

Apparently Interstate offers a 6 volt battery

BCI GroupGC2 Part Number GC2-XHD or RV-XHD

Ah 20 hr 232 RC 25A 475 RC 75A 122

And they also offer a cpl 12V batteries, but I'm at a loss as they are dual purpose Starting/Deep Cycle.

Thinking of the 27M on this page in either the Deep Cycle/Starting or the Pro ECL series
RV Deep-Cycle/Starting Batteries

Also think of the Sealed AGM batteries on this page and mainly interested in the 27 or 31DP

RV Sealed AGM Deep-Cycle/Starting Batteries

What say the masses? Anyone have experience with Interstate? We have yet to camp much off the grid & I do have a small generator to charge the batteries (might buy an actual camp generator sooner rather than later) All the lights will be switched to LED bulbs & I have plenty of propane bottles to not have to worry about running the furnace/hot water when needed.

Figure get decent batteries and then work on charging, inverters & solar power as I learn more. I don't want this to get into a 12v vs 6v thread would just like some honest answers and equal comparisons.

Thanks in advance & I'm sure I'll have more questions once I figure out what batteries I'm installing
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
ARLO

Interstate batteries

We use Interstate Batteries exclusively in our fleet vehicles (ambulances). They are excellent quality and we have had very good luck with them. Since switching to Interstate, our battery purchases have dropped dramatically.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I bought an Interstate SRM-24 in April of 2010 for my Surveyor. I worked great for the 1st year, then it got so it wouldn't take a charge above about 12.7 volts. I bought a desufaltor and just leave it on the battery now. It has brought the battery back to life close to the original performance.

The original Mopar Jeep battery (12 years old) was dying about the same time as the my camper original Interstate HD24-DP battery was getting weak.....I have been using that battery in my Jeep after I took it off the camper.....that puppy still works good.

Interstate makes a good battery !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #4

In a 54' boat, I put 4 sets (8 batts) of six vdc Interstates, in a parallel/series so I had 4 banks of 12 vdc available. They were the best. I had used other batts but the Interstates held charge longer, charged cooler and just overall had best performance. I only had to run my gen every 3 days to keep the batts charged. They ran house lights (like our batts do on TT) and the inverter system for the 110-120 vac which rn all the other stuff (reefer, microwave, small freezer, tv).
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #5

I have been running a pair of Interstate RV/Marine group 24 12 volt batteries since march 2005 in my Trailmanor. I have no complaints.

An RV/Marine battery is not a true deep cycle battery. It is a hybrid battery.

I have been told that if you see CCA or Cold Cranking Amps listed then it is not a true deep cycle battery.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I have been running a pair of Interstate RV/Marine group 24 12 volt batteries since march 2005 in my Trailmanor. I have no complaints.

An RV/Marine battery is not a true deep cycle battery. It is a hybrid battery.

I have been told that if you see CCA or Cold Cranking Amps listed then it is not a true deep cycle battery.

That's the thing these are Hybrid and not true Deep Cycle batteries. I'm wondering if I should just keep the cheap bettery in the new unit and spend the cash on one of those Champion 2000 watt quiet gensets or possibly the Lifan 3300 watt genset at 59db
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
That's the thing these are Hybrid and not true Deep Cycle batteries. I'm wondering if I should just keep the cheap bettery in the new unit and spend the cash on one of those Champion 2000 watt quiet gensets or possibly the Lifan 3300 watt genset at 59db
My TT came with one battery. I immediately added a matching second and bought a Honda generator.

THEN I learned about deep cycle batteries. If I upgrade from a pair of group 24 RV/Marine to a pair of group 27 (largest that will fit) then for at least a 3 day weekend, and maybe 4, I could leave the generator home.

So my plan was to replace the batteries when the failed. Purchased new in 2005 the still have not failed, so I still have not replaced them.

We just bought an MH, so the TT will be put up for sale after the holidays.

IMO, if you trips are frequently long enough that you will be taking the generator anyway, like I do, then replacing good batteries does not make economic sense. Wait until the batteries require replacement and then buy the deep cycle.

Just my opinion. I am not a battery expert.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery