Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Inverter

Any one know where the inverter is located on a Forest River Sandpiper 360PDEK? Mine isn't working and I don't know where to find it to have it checked out. There isn't a nearby Forest River dealer to take it to.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudyw View Post
Any one know where the inverter is located on a Forest River Sandpiper 360PDEK? Mine isn't working and I don't know where to find it to have it checked out. There isn't a nearby Forest River dealer to take it to.
Are you positive it's the inverter and not the converter you are inquiring about? Many people confuse the terminology of the two.

All RV's have a converter (which takes 120 volt AC power and converts it to 12 volt DC power to power the 12 volt things in your RV when hooked to a form of shore power)

Usually you only have an inverter in motorhomes or trailers with large battery banks, which an inverter takes 12 volt DC power and inverts it to 120 volts AC to power small 120 volt things in your RV.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

Inverter

Yes, it is the inverter. I have a house type refrigerator that needs the inverter working when I unhook from power to travel. I have an inverter button that is suppose to light up when it's working....it doesn't light up and my fridge has no power when unhooked.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, it is the inverter. I have a house type refrigerator that needs the inverter working when I unhook from power to travel. I have an inverter button that is suppose to light up when it's working....it doesn't light up and my fridge has no power when unhooked.
Gotcha and understand. Ok, are you positive that your battery(ies) are charged and that you don't possibly have a battery disconnect turned on (which prevents the battery from connecting to your RV's electrical system)?

This video may also help a little.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Iverter

Thank you!! I did find a battery shut off. I thought it would be in the battery box but it wasn't. Next question. When I'm plugged into electric, should the battery be shut off? Or can it be left in the on position in case of electric outage? When I got my 5th wheel, they wasn't able to explain a lot of things to me. I told them my inverter light wasn't working and they said that it wouldn't work unless I was unplugged from electric. So, when I got ready to leave, unplugged from electric and had no inverter. They didn't explain the battery on/off switch. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you!! I did find a battery shut off. I thought it would be in the battery box but it wasn't. Next question. When I'm plugged into electric, should the battery be shut off? Or can it be left in the on position in case of electric outage? When I got my 5th wheel, they wasn't able to explain a lot of things to me. I told them my inverter light wasn't working and they said that it wouldn't work unless I was unplugged from electric. So, when I got ready to leave, unplugged from electric and had no inverter. They didn't explain the battery on/off switch. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Usually the battery disconnect is there for when you are storing the RV. Even with everything turned off, you still have parasitic draws on the battery from things like your CO detector, radio standby, etc. When you use the disconnect this stops these parasitic drains.

However, when you are connected to shore power, it's good to have the battery disconnect off, so the battery is connected to the electrical system. This is where the converter I mentioned above comes into play. Although the converter takes 120 volt AC shore power and converts it to 12 volt DC to power all of your 12 volt things, so they don't draw from the battery, it has one more function. It also recharges your battery as it has a battery charger built in to it. If your battery is disconnected from the electrical system using the switch, then the converter cannot recharge your battery when connected to shore power....but this is dependent on how your RV is wired exactly.

These links may help in the understanding of that:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Old 07-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #7

Where's the switch?

Quote:
Thank you!! I did find a battery shut off. I thought it would be in the battery box but it wasn't.
Where was it? We have the same issue, the inverter cable is connected to batteries, but no light on switch and no fridge when we turn it on.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

Switch

The battery disconnect switch is in the front/side compartment. ...front door side. It is a red knob that says disconnect/on.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

It is possible the inverter quit, mine did within the first month of ownership. The inverter will be close to the batteries, probably behind a panel in a pass thru. The remote switch has about a 6 ft cable to the inverter so use that as a guide. Once you find the inverter there may be a display on it, if you are on shore power it will display input voltage, on batteries 12v or so.
Nights Camped 2017 29
Coolharts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

Inverter

It was just the battery disconnect. Think everything is okay now.

Tags
inverter