Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #1

inverter

hey guy i have a new 2016 vibe 268rks the inverter wasn't hooked up when i picked it up and the dealer is over 100 miles away so i hooked it up myself and when i hooked up the negative (black) wire to the negative post i got a big arch i pulled it away and then touched it again and i got a small spark. the only thing it runs is the frig. i figured i had to have blown a fuse but i checked the frig and it is working. now i am worried that something is wrong... have any of you seen this before?
also i was hooking up my propane tanks and it looked like a ball and a spring blew out the end on the right tank is that possible

thanks a lot for the help
Allen
Allenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

i'll offer a couple of comments but do not take them as gospel. as far as the spark, i'm assuming you already had the positive cable connected. so this spark is similar to what you get when you connect battery cable directly to the battery. you say the inverter only powers the refrigerator. if it is working I would assume that all is ok. you could use a voltmeter to measure the 110 vac output of the inverter but my guess it is either going to be 110 vac (which it appears to be if refrigerator is running) or zero (fuse blown or inverter blown). as far as the ball bearing coming out of the propane tank that sounds serious. from what I a learned there is a safety device in the propane tank valve and this safety device consists of a ball and springs. could it be damaged and have blown out of the valve? I would take that take out of service and get it inspected!
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Team

X2 what ChickDoe said. Just to add. The spark when you hooked up the battery cable to the inverter could have been a capacitor charging up. That would explain why the second spark was smaller.

The ball and spring was most likely the high flow preventer. As said, it should be looked at as soon as possible.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #4

Is the ball and spring in the tanks or in the auto change valve for the rev
Thank you for the help on this
Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Site Team

The ball and spring is in the ACME nut assembly. If you lost the ball and spring you need to get the pigtail replaced because you also lost the bushing.

Here's a picture of what it looks like.

Name:   LP-Type-I-Excess-Flow-Cutaway-Ball.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  66.0 KB
Old 08-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Ethan's you so much. Can I use the other side of the auto changer and just leave one tank hooked up.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Site Team

You can just but be sure to switch the regulator to that side. The ball is also the check valve to prevent gas from escaping out the pigtail.

If it leaks even when switched to the other side, you can just leave it screwed on the cylinder until you get a replacement pigtail.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

thank you so much i am taking it out for the first time this weekend and i didn't want to have problems with it. i live in Harrison AR and we have no RV dealers here i would have to drive about 200 miles round trip to get the part and with work and all it is impassible to get done during the work week. you have been very kind to help me and i really appreciate it you will never know how much
Old 09-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenb View Post
hey guy i have a new 2016 vibe 268rks the inverter wasn't hooked up when i picked it up and the dealer is over 100 miles away so i hooked it up myself and when i hooked up the negative (black) wire to the negative post i got a big arch i pulled it away and then touched it again and i got a small spark. the only thing it runs is the frig. i figured i had to have blown a fuse but i checked the frig and it is working. now i am worried that something is wrong... have any of you seen this before?
also i was hooking up my propane tanks and it looked like a ball and a spring blew out the end on the right tank is that possible

thanks a lot for the help
Allen
If the inverter happened to be 'on' (along with the refrigerator) when you powered it up (connected the cable) the sparks (arch) you seen were from the current draw of the inverter trying to power up with a load.

Always best to make sure the inverter is off and anything plugged into it off as well before making connections to the power source.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter