Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #1

Inverter

I have just acquired a 2014 Georgetown XL 377TS. My question is, does the chassis battery get charged when the coach is plugged in to shore power? I understand that on some RV's that it is but not all. Thanks for any help.
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Site Team

actually, you have things mixed up.

nearly all RV's come with CONVERTERS, not INVERTERS.
converters do what you're asking about, charging batteries from shore power or from a generator. no different than a stand-alone battery charger.

an INVERTER changes battery DC power to AC power. it converts 12v power to 110v power for things like tv's, dvd players and other things you need to plug in.
inverters don't usually come standard on RV's, except on expensive Class A motorhomes. some MH's and 5th wheels offer them as an option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #3

The short answer is NO. I have a 2005 Georgetown XL, unles Forest River has changed the Rectifier ( converter ) supplies power to charge the HOUSE batteries (under the steps in my case) and does nothing for the Chassis battery. I carry a separate charges to top up the chassis battery as needed. The switch (momentary contact ) on the dash allows you to boost the chassis battery for starting only.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #4

Thanks

My original subject should have been battery charging instead of inverter. My 2014 GT 377TS has a residential frig and does have an inverter. Thanks for the info. I guess the coach battery is not being charged when plugged into shore power.
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #5

Any help appreciated. 2008 Lexington 300SS. Inverter or Converter under passenger seat. Not sure which it is (was told it is inverter by dealer when I bought it used last year). Not sure what it is to be used for. Hoping it is inverter used to run outlets while driving. Thanks in advance for any help.
thirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote