Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #1

inverter and converter

Hello everyone
I have one question that I need help on..Our RV is a 30 foot FR3.. I have a converter that when connected to shore charges the house batteries .. I want to install a inverter just to run the tv when dry camping.. My wife can't go to sleep without the tv on.. We also have a generator but don't want to use it at night time when other people are sleeping..
If I plug in the cable that we use to plug into shore power into the inverter, will there be a problem. The way that I think it will work is that the 120 volts coming from the inverter will turn on the converter and charge the house batteries but not the batteries connected to the solar panels that run the inverter.. So there can't be a loop in the current for the house batteries.
Is that correct?
Yes the converter will add to the total power drawn from the inverter but I don't think it would be significant when the house batteries are fully charge.. The charger would act like a trickle charger.. I know it would be easier to just run an extension cord to the tv and I just might do that..

Thanks in advance
Bob
perrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

" I want to install a inverter just to run the tv when dry camping". IF that is all you are wanting an inverter to do then I would suggest finding an inverter with enough output wattage for the TV, mount the inverter near the battery/batteries then run a new 120vAC cord from the inverter dedicated to just the TV.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

Can you tell me which floor plan you have for your FR-3. I believe that your layout is the same as my 335DS with the power cord and the converter located in the rear driver's side bay. What I did was install a 1500 watt Xantrex inverter and transfer switch on the ceiling of the power bay. I connected it's DC input to the output lugs of the PD converter since there were two additional lugs on that model. I drilled down from the dead area behind the breaker panel and disconnected the outlet breaker that powers the TV and ran the feed down to an octagonal box mounted on the ceiling of the bay that connects the inverter output, the breaker feed, the load line to the outlets, using the transfer switch. I also bought a remote on/off switch for the antrex and installed it in the bulkhead where the outlet is to the right of the panel.

Now, when I turn it on, it not only powers the TV in the bedroom, but the tv in the main area and all of the outlets on the drivers side of the coach, including the outlets over the driver and passenger seat. It is nice not to run a genny to power the tv, but it is also nice that all of those outlets work when we are running down the road.

Sounds like a lot...but the results are worth it.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

Hi,

I simply kill the converter at the breaker and plug my shore power cable into the inverter.

Gotta remember to switch it back on when you want to go off the inverter, of course, or your batteries won't charge up.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I simply kill the converter at the breaker and plug my shore power cable into the inverter. Rich Phillips
You can do that in an FR-3 since the generator plugs in as well. Gotta watch your loads and make sure the HWH is off (of electric) as well. If you have an LP/AC reefer you need to put it in LP mode and stay away from the thermostat if the A/C might go on...and stay away from the microwave...

2015 335DS
Old 12-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Hello Scott
Can you explain what the transfer switch does and what the load lines are..

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrior View Post
Hello Scott
Can you explain what the transfer switch does and what the load lines are..

Thanks
Bob
Sure. Right now the power comes from the shore power or generator and goes to the panel. The breaker gets the power from the panel and sends it to the outlet(s). There are usually 5 or six outlets on the circuit. You take the wire that feeds the outlets and put in a new wire from the breaker and send that to the "transfer switch" The switch senses if there is power coming from the panel and if so, sends it to the outlets. If there is no power from the panel, the switch switches over to the inverter output and it powers the outlets. In this way, you can leave the inverter running and you will have power when connected to shore or generator or inverter. The inverter only supplies power when there is no other source. The remote on/off switch lets you turn the inverter on and off without going to the unit itself. It connects to the inverter with a low voltage "telephone cord."

Seems that FR wires two breakers for outlets. One is for the galley and the head and the other is for everything else. If you power that one you will have plugs that work...all the time! We watch TV, charge cell phones and computers, run a satellite TV receiver, etc.

Running down the road is "free" since the alternator is supplying the power and there is no worry about discharging the batteries.

Glad I did it that way. Nothing to remember to do, no cords or switches...

Actually FR should offer it as an option.

2015 335DS
Old 12-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #8

I don't have a lot of time tonight but I wanted to let you know that I do have
the same floor plan as you do.. Your update sure does sound like I need to do the same thing.. I think its awesome..I didn't want to use a extension cable as someone might trip over it..
I will start checking out the hardware and get started on this conversion.
Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year..
I have to put my Santa Suit on and get ready for the younger generation coming to see my light display.

Thank for a great post..

Bob
Old 12-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #9

Let me know and I can help you with a parts list, etc.

Merry Christmas to you as well

2015 335DS
Old 12-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #10

Thank you so much for offering. That would help a lot.. We're planing a trip sometime in Jan 2018 and it will be dry camping..

Here's wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas.

Bob
Old 12-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
" I want to install a inverter just to run the tv when dry camping". IF that is all you are wanting an inverter to do then I would suggest finding an inverter with enough output wattage for the TV, mount the inverter near the battery/batteries then run a new 120vAC cord from the inverter dedicated to just the TV.
I agree with Thurman. Go with a simple solution. If all you want to power is a TV while boondocking, then there are two simple solutions:
(1) get a low-power pure sine wave inverter (something like this) and plug your TV into it.
(2) buy a 12-Volt TV (not as cheap or simple, but simpler than inverting your whole coach)
SLOArmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOArmada View Post
Go with a simple solution. If all you want to power is a TV while boondocking, then there are two simple solutions:
(1) get a low-power pure sine wave inverter (something like this) and plug your TV into it.
(2) buy a 12-Volt TV (not as cheap or simple, but simpler than inverting your whole coach)
In principal that sounds much easier and in fact that is what I used to do with my 1997 Bounder 32H. However, it already had a 12 volt connection in the area for the TV and it was relatively simple to plug in a portable inverter and plug the TV and DVD player in.

However, I think routing decent amperage 12 volt to his TV might be almost as hard as doing it right. A simple cigarette lighter receptacle always caused my low voltage problems and a good 12 volt connector is decidedly not stock.

The 1500 watt inverter that we installed to watch TV also lets us charge phones and computers and do all sorts of things when boondocking and when driving down the road. The rear power bay Forest River class As are almost built for an auxiliary inverter and frankly I am surprised that they don't offer one as an option. Powers at least 7 additional outlets in the coach as well and is relatively easy to install with the power coming from the 12 volt converter lugs. Only adds maybe 2 feet of 12 ga Romex and it is totally hidden and more importantly, fully automatic!

2015 335DS
Old 12-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #13

I didn't think I'd like the idea of running extension cords through the rv and having someone trip over it.. If I wanted to use the coffee pot or use the laptop I could with more extension cord and unplug the tv. I just want to run the tv at night but if you have power available someone may want to use it.. I think the inverter with the switch is a nice clean way of installing and it would be a little more work and I'm not afraid of a little work.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I simply kill the converter at the breaker and plug my shore power cable into the inverter.

Gotta remember to switch it back on when you want to go off the inverter, of course, or your batteries won't charge up.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

I do the same, though I’d definitely prefer Scott B’s method/recommendation.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #15

I completely understand doing that but the older I get and the more things I have going on around me I sometimes forget and I'd rather not put myself in that position. I'm just trying to be safe in everything I do.. I'd rather put in a switch to take care of that then I know its done.. Then again there is no guarantee the switch will not fail but fuses will work in that circuit..
I kind of believe in Murphy's law...
Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #16

I too am looking at inverter options for our new 5th wheel. I am settling on an inverter/converter (1000w pure sine) combo to replace my stock converter. Most have automatic switches so you don't have to remember to switch anything on/off. I will replace my stock converter and hardwire the 1 circuit for the outlets to it. Plus a decent inverter/converter will have better battery charging technology which supposedly will make your batteries last longer.
Therealbc is offline   Reply With Quote