Old 10-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Inverter, bought and now thinking about it

I bought an inverter off of the classified ads here (Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000) and now am trying to sort out how I want to use it.

• My want is first and foremost to be able to run my CPAP/BIPAP machine in my bedroom. This is directly above my battery area where I'll install this inverter. Being able to run the TV in that room wouldn't be a bad thing as Momma and I like to wind down a little at night with some stupidity.
  • My second want is to be able to power my TV in the living room.
  • And finally, my 3rd want is to be able to run my dorm fridge in my outdoor kitchen (at the very back of the camper) while I'm driving down the road.

I probably should have bought a more expensive inverter that I could run hard-wires off of. But, this was a great deal and I now own it. So, help me out. Any ideas for how I can implement this thing?

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

My wife does sleep medicine... She says many CPAPS can be run off 12v. She said many are actually 12v but the power plug makes the 120 to 12v. Just an idea for that. For both my boss and mother we were able to get 12v plugs for them.
EDIT: as far as hard wired stuff I have seen people put a plug into the outlet then run it to and outlet they install. Kinda like an extension cord.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

Inverter, bought and now thinking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
My wife does sleep medicine... She says many CPAPS can be run off 12v. She said many are actually 12v but the power plug makes the 120 to 12v. Just an idea for that. For both my boss and mother we were able to get 12v plugs for them.
EDIT: as far as hard wired stuff I have seen people put a plug into the outlet then run it to and outlet they install. Kinda like an extension cord.

You're right about that. The problem is, I can't find someone who carries the 12v cord for mine (I found them on cpap.com).

As for the plug/extension cord, that's the basic idea that I've had in my head.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Found the cord online or the CPAP. The one cable we got from the CPAP maker the other form Radio Shack oddly enough.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
Old 10-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Found the cord online or the CPAP. The one cable we got from the CPAP maker the other form Radio Shack oddly enough.

I found the cord on cpap.com. The CPAP itself came from my medical supply company.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #6

Radio Shack

I found the connector for my wife's CPAP at Radio Shack for a few bucks. I use 12V for other things such as a pump to pump water into my fresh water tank from a portable source. Anyway I bought a long 12V extension cord and use that. I am luck as my rig has a 12V charging station but if it didn't I would just tap one in somewhere,

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I found the cord on cpap.com. The CPAP itself came from my medical supply company.
Copy.

I will get me an inverter one day as well. If you find Love your RV on youtube, Ray on there, has several videos on his inverter setups. While they are more elaborate than you probably want it might give some advice. His more recent video made the case for a smaller invertor b/c of the parasitic draws of the larger ones when not in use.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Copy.

I will get me an inverter one day as well. If you find Love your RV on youtube, Ray on there, has several videos on his inverter setups. While they are more elaborate than you probably want it might give some advice. His more recent video made the case for a smaller invertor b/c of the parasitic draws of the larger ones when not in use.

Sounds good. From thumbing thru the manual, this one supposedly has a super low parasitic draw. But it also has a on/off remote pendant that I'll mount in my control panel. I think that should avoid the issue. But, we'll see.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Anyway I bought a long 12V extension cord and use that.
I'm under the impression that DC doesn't like distance. It degrades the available power. Isn't that why Westinghouse won out over Edison?
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

The Inverter should handle both of your tv's, and the cpap not sure about the Refrigerator. Some one else should be able to help you with that. I would go with the 12 adaptor for the cpap if you can find one. I was quoted a high price for the adaptor from the company I got my cpap through, but I was going to use my inverter. I haven't checked ebay yet, but they do carry a lot of things for cpap machines.
Good luck with you install of your inverter. I have the inverter, but haven't installed it yet. I also use a small portable inverter to power my laptop while on the move if the generator isn't running.

Tags
inverter