Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Explore

Inverter Chassis Grounding Wire Question

I'm installing a 1000W PSW inverter in my trailer's front pass thru storage. No permanent mount of the inverter. I will hook it up and remove it during each boon dock trip.

What size AWG green insulated wire should be used to connect from a 1000W inverter's rear panel to the chassis? The wire run is about 4 feet.

All my instruction manual says is "In any installation, heavy duty green-insulated wire should be used for this connection." I did research this but could not find anything.

Camp4two
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
I'm installing a 1000W PSW inverter in my trailer's front pass thru storage. No permanent mount of the inverter. I will hook it up and remove it during each boon dock trip.

What size AWG green insulated wire should be used to connect from a 1000W inverter's rear panel to the chassis? The wire run is about 4 feet.

All my instruction manual says is "In any installation, heavy duty green-insulated wire should be used for this connection." I did research this but could not find anything.

Camp4two
Why would you install and remove very time? What are you hooking the 120 side to? How long are the runs to your battery? what size wire are you running the then batt? #12 GA ground wire should do but there should be more info on this.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

I would go with 8-ga, minimum 10-ga.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Why would you install and remove very time? What are you hooking the 120 side to? How long are the runs to your battery? what size wire are you running the then batt? #12 GA ground wire should do but there should be more info on this.
Why would you install and remove very time? We dry camp 3-4 times/yr., 1-2 weeks each camp. Very easy to hook up and remove (did this before on a small 600W inverter). Prefer to store it at home when not used.

What are you hooking the 120 side to? #10 GA extension cord run back to our 30A trailer's supply cord using a 30A-20A adapter to connect to the extension cord.

How long are the runs to your battery? About 5 feet.

what size wire are you running the then batt? 4 AWG welding cable. 100A breaker.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Why would you install and remove very time? We dry camp 3-4 times/yr., 1-2 weeks each camp. Very easy to hook up and remove (did this before on a small 600W inverter). Prefer to store it at home when not used.

What are you hooking the 120 side to? #10 GA extension cord run back to our 30A trailer's supply cord using a 30A-20A adapter to connect to the extension cord.

How long are the runs to your battery? About 5 feet.

what size wire are you running the then batt? 4 AWG welding cable. 100A breaker.
Got it.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
I would go with 8-ga, minimum 10-ga.
Yup, for a run that short that should be fine.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:

Camp4two
1000 watts and four feet comes to 4 AWG. For that large a load go straight to the battery for both the cable runs. Also run a third ground 10 AWG green wire to chassis ground.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Guage Chart.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	199517

If you are going to disconnect use something like: Red 2-4 Gauge Battery Quick Connect/Disconnect Wire Harness Plug:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Quick Connect.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	199519
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
Explore

Inverter Chassis Grounding Wire Question

Thanks everyone for your help. I decided to go with #10 AWG green wire from my 1000W inverter to chassis ground (a 4 ft. run).
Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 PM   #9

When boondocking the only thing the ground wire connected to the trailer chassis does is reduce possible RF interference with radio reception. That is unless you drive a ground rod in the dirt at every campsite and run a jumper cable to the chassis.

For the ground you only need a piece of #12 wire. The BIG wires are only required for the pos/negative connections to the battery.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When boondocking the only thing the ground wire connected to the trailer chassis does is reduce possible RF interference with radio reception. That is unless you drive a ground rod in the dirt at every campsite and run a jumper cable to the chassis.

For the ground you only need a piece of #12 wire. The BIG wires are only required for the pos/negative connections to the battery.
Grounded chassis has nothing to do with radio reception. It is for safety to prevent a hot skin short.

Tags
inverter