Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

inverter installation for microwave

I install a 2000watts inverter in my solera. I want to plug my microwave on the inverter, also on the regular 120volts. How can i make my installation; my choice for power: from the inverter or regular installation. What is the ''switch solution''.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #2

if i'm understanding correctly, you are asking how the microwave will be wired to use both shore power and inverted power.

you simply wire microwave to the inverter. the inverter gets connected to both the battery bank and has a plug to go into the shore/generator powered outlet. when there is shore or generator power, the inverter will automatically switch from dc battery power to available ac power. the "switch" is built into the inverter.

ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
if i'm understanding correctly, you are asking how the microwave will be wired to use both shore power and inverted power.

you simply wire microwave to the inverter. the inverter gets connected to both the battery bank and has a plug to go into the shore/generator powered outlet. when there is shore or generator power, the inverter will automatically switch from dc battery power to available ac power. the "switch" is built into the inverter.
I assume that a quality inverter would be that way.

Well, it can be on the inverter full time as when you are connected to shore power, your battery will be charging.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post

There are very few inverters with built in transfer switches so that statement is not entirely true. If the OP were to buy an inverter from Xantrex or the like he could get one but then not even all Xantrex inverters have transfer switches.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

This needs to be "re-thunk" for most RV users.

A 1500 watt microwave draws 12.5 amps at 120 volts nominal. To provide that power, an inverter must deliver that 1500 amps in a wave form that the magnetron can use. (Pure Sine in my case)

Additionally, to provide 1500 watts, the inverter will need to pull from your battery bank 125 amp of 12 volt DC from your battery for however long the microwave runs at full power. Since most deep cycle batteries shipped are dual purpose (Marine Type), They do not have the "legs" to deliver this amount of amps at once without severe capacity degradation. (see attached impact graph). As capacity is reduced, the voltage delivered is also reduced; thus increasing the amps required to fire the magnetron.

This means that you will need to spread that load over several batteries to keep the hit on any one battery manageable. (IE 2 batteries will drop the draw from 125 amps to 62.5 per battery; 4 batteries will drop the per battery hit to 23 amps and change allowing minimal reduction in amperage production and allow you to actually watch TV after you make the popcorn).

My microwave will not work with a modified sine inverter and needed to be upgraded to pure sine. Since to replace my 2400 watt modified sine inverter with a pure sine inverter would have cost almost 1,000 dollars, I just decided that my microwave would be a generator only operation.
herk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	31151  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #6

Thank you for your answer. You understand what I mean. My inverter that I bought, dont have a transfer switch. So I have to put my microwave manually on inverter or shore current.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

test
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Thanks for your information. Now I give mine. I install my canadian tire 2000watts modified wave with 2-0 welding wires and a 150amps fuse. I install 2 agm 6 volts batteries. I try the kit for 3 minutes for boiling water in a cup. Great. The inverter have a front gauge: 12.6volts after the test ; and 675 watts drawing. It's not the first time I use an inverter for microwave. I use it in my last motorhome with no problem. Most of the time in boondocking.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Herk hit this at 100 % on the money !! You could run a microwave on the generator for years on a $1000.00 not counting the wear and tear on the batteries
Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by levoyageur View Post
Thanks for your information. Now I give mine. I install my canadian tire 2000watts modified wave with 2-0 welding wires and a 150amps fuse. I install 2 agm 6 volts batteries. I try the kit for 3 minutes for boiling water in a cup. Great. The inverter have a front gauge: 12.6volts after the test ; and 675 watts drawing. It's not the first time I use an inverter for microwave. I use it in my last motorhome with no problem. Most of the time in boondocking.
You are quite fortunate to have a microwave that will "eat" modified sine waveform (wish mine did ). Also your 675 watt on high microwave seems to be within reach of your pair of 6 volt AGMs.

Again, lucky all around.

Have you tried to make popcorn?
A 675 watts microwave might not be enough oomph to pop all the kernels.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote