Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Inverter mounting location?

I should be getting my 1500W inverter soon. I have my transfer switch mounted in the rear and romex running to it from my battery compartment. I used electrical PVC to run the romex. My plans were to mount the inverter in the battery box on the left side on a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. The inverter is 17X10X5 and weighs 11 pounds according to Amazon. I will use a remote wired switch to turn it on and off. Looking for feedback on any problems with plan.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	180683  
Old 07-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

That's a clean looking setup. Are those lead acid batteries? It looks like there is more than enough air space in there but I was always told the "vapor" lead acid batteries can release is flammable. Could the inverter being open to the batteries cause an issue? Might be worth a google.

I enclosed my batteries and inverter in bins and vented separately. There are lots of smart people on here to prove me wrong. Just what I have always been told.

Good luck with everything.

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
That's a clean looking setup. Are those lead acid batteries? It looks like there is more than enough air space in there but I was always told the "vapor" lead acid batteries can release is flammable. Could the inverter being open to the batteries cause an issue? Might be worth a google.

I enclosed my batteries and inverter in bins and vented separately. There are lots of smart people on here to prove me wrong. Just what I have always been told.

Good luck with everything.
Thanks! Yes they are lead acid. That bay is open to the outside on the back bottom quarter. Hopefully that will take care of any vapor that is released.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #4

So...the inverter is installed and working. I have a question for those more knowledgeable......I decided to mount the inverter directly to the metal side of the compartment. I was surprised to find out that the inverter would power on before I connected the negative cable. I assumed the unit itself is grounded. My question is, am I OK doing that? I do have the ground cable attached to the load side of my shunt and it seems to be working fine. I found out my TV and a few lights draws about 65 watts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_161812.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	180826  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
So...the inverter is installed and working. I have a question for those more knowledgeable......I decided to mount the inverter directly to the metal side of the compartment. I was surprised to find out that the inverter would power on before I connected the negative cable. I assumed the unit itself is grounded. My question is, am I OK doing that? I do have the ground cable attached to the load side of my shunt and it seems to be working fine. I found out my TV and a few lights draws about 65 watts
Inverters in an RV are to include a UL 458 Neutral to Ground Bond.

Nice setup. I put my Inverter/charger in the next compartment.
See: Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Inverters in an RV are to include a UL 458 Neutral to Ground Bond.

Nice setup. I put my Inverter/charger in the next compartment.
See: Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger
Thank you for the comment!

Do you think I am ok with mounting it with the batteries? The compartment is open so ventilation should not be an issue. The inverter had a grounding terminal on the rear below the negative post. I still have to connect that. I am going to test that connection to see if it is separate from the inverters case. If it is tied to the case than mounting the case to a grounded metal panel should take care of that.

Edit......after checking the grounding terminal it is tied to my chassis ground.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

First, very nice job on the install. Really like the remote switch idea.
Q1: Where does the 120v output go?
Q2: Does your Inverter have a remote monitor available to plug in?
TIA
Ducky
Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
First, very nice job on the install. Really like the remote switch idea.
Q1: Where does the 120v output go?
Q2: Does your Inverter have a remote monitor available to plug in?
TIA
Ducky
I attached a 20 feet piece of electrical PVC though the frame rail to the rear of the RV and coming out under the bed in the same compartment as the 30 amp panel. I also installed the auto transfer switch there which is tied into the circuit that I wanted powered.

I don't think it has a remote monitor option...only the switch.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #9

The manufacturer installed other electrical devices near the batteries. Therefore they thought it was ok.

Another should do is to use the biggest, shortest cables you can get. Line loss on the 12 volt cables is significant when using large drawing devices like curling irons, microwaves and coffee pots.

In my sons case #8 wire would Not work. 2/O would.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
The manufacturer installed other electrical devices near the batteries. Therefore they thought it was ok.

Another should do is to use the biggest, shortest cables you can get. Line loss on the 12 volt cables is significant when using large drawing devices like curling irons, microwaves and coffee pots.

In my sons case #8 wire would Not work. 2/O would.
Good point! The cables that came with it are 2AWG and 2 feet long. Should be ok....funny how the inverter manufacturer says do not install in battery box but supplies 2 feet of cable to accomplish that.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Good point! The cables that came with it are 2AWG and 2 feet long. Should be ok....funny how the inverter manufacturer says do not install in battery box but supplies 2 feet of cable to accomplish that.
Next step should be solar to recharge your batteries.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Next step should be solar to recharge your batteries.
Yup, next project

Right now trying to figure out the best strategy for running the cables down. My fridge is in the slide out so no vent to use. I drilled through the floor to run the romex conduit up and survived but am a little apprehensive with the roof
Old 07-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #13

I heard back from the inverter folks. They advised that if am at least 5-6 inches from the rear of the unit to the wall so the fan can circulate air I should be ok.

Tags
cat, inverter, location, mount