Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #1

Inverter question

I bought a zantrex 2000 prowatt. After I have it hooked to the batteries can I plug it directly into the the plug for the camper where the shore power plugs into? so I can use all the AC plugs. i have a 2014 Palomino 8801 truck camper.
I read someplace that you just need to make sure the converter is off. It that right?
HighlanderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #2

It should work just fine to plug the whole trailer in. It's 1800 watts continuous, so it'll be the same as plugging into a 15 amp plug in a campground. You definitely have to turn the converter off, otherwise it will be running full tilt to try to recharge the batteries that are being discharged by the inverter, further discharging them and unnecessarily wasting energy.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post
It should work just fine to plug the whole trailer in. It's 1800 watts continuous, so it'll be the same as plugging into a 15 amp plug in a campground. You definitely have to turn the converter off, otherwise it will be running full tilt to try to recharge the batteries that are being discharged by the inverter, further discharging them and unnecessarily wasting energy.
X2 on unplugging the converter or if it is hard wired, turning off it's breaker before connecting.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post
Thanks so much for your help!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

un plugging converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
X2 on unplugging the converter or if it is hard wired, turning off it's breaker before connecting.
Thanks you ,that was going to be my next question how to turn off the converter as there really is no on and off switch.
Thanks you for your reply!
Mike
Old 03-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

You should spend the 40-60 dollars and install an auto transfer switch.

Here is what I did to my trailer.

(a) Converter hard wired in transfer box to 30 amp generator/shore power with its own fuse. This way converter only comes on when outside power is used.

(b) Inverter power is routed as secondary power source and transfer switch automatically only connects inverter power when generator/shore power is removed and vice-versa. The inverter alternating current will only be available when generator/ac power isn't and the converter will only charge batteries when generator/shore power is available.

Very simple to do and I've done it on a couple of trailers.

ALSO: Don't forget to hard wire with an inline re settable fuse or small fuse panel for your refrigerator AC (alternating current) power. You don't want to accidentally power your fridge by AC that is obtained by inverter power. I know its easy to say, I'll just leave the selector switch on propane and not worry about it, but I've killed my batteries a couple of times by forgetting. I like running the fridge on generator AC when generator is running because it gets colder quicker especially since propane burns much richer at the altitudes I camp at.

I don't use a separate fuse panel for the fridge and converter. Instead, I use separate busman fuse holder outlet plugs for both the fridge and converter. I use a resetable screwable fuse for each so I don't need to carry spare fuses Cooper Bussmann Plug Fuse Holder with Outlet Box Cover Unit-SRU-BC - The Home Depot

Good luck! Autotransfer is worth the small hassle of install.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

What do you guys run that requires so much watts? Microwave? Just curious.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #8

I'm running the trailer air conditioning while I'm driving. Keep the cats cool.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 03-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #9

How long can you run the ac on your battery bank and how big is it? I had no idea you could run a 13.5 AC for more than just minutes.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #10

I have a 320 amp alternator in the truck and heavy welding cable running to the trailer, with a disconnect between the two. I can run the air conditioning all day long when I'm travelling.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

My God, I thought you were joking. Amazing. I learn something every day.