Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

inverter questions

i have a 2011 Forest River wildcat 27RHL. i would like to install an inverter to run the ac components when no shore power is available. My main concern at this point is what effect the converter battery charging system will have on installing an inverter. my intension is to hook the inverter to the 2 12 volt batteries and then plug the shore power cord into the inverter. i am looking at 2000 watt inverter, probably a modified sine wave. this should allow me to run all ac and dc components through the converter. however, i am not sure what effect the converter battery charging system will have. will this create a power draining loop? do i need to put a on off switch on the converters battery charging line to eliminate any problems? any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

The invertor takes DC battery 12 volt and makes it into AC 120 volt
You do not hook it up to AC shore power.
You may need to increase your battery charger system to a larger amp one now that you plan on getting 2- 12volt batteries instead of one.
You could use your existing charger but it will take longer to fully charge 2 - 12 volt batteries.
I'm sure others will add to this.
Hope this helps a little

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think what your looking for is a transfer switch. Which you do need
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think 2 12 volt are not enough for what you want to do more like 4 6 volt batterys minimum.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Your trying to make too much of a simple process. The converter already has the shore power cable attached to it, the converter already charges the batteries when plugged in. So there is no need to connect an inverter to the shore power.
Wire the inverter directly from the batteries using as short of cables as possible. Then run a dedicated line to where you want inverter power. Done deal. No need for transfer switches or anything else.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

I did the same thing for years, worked great. Just shut off the converter, air conditioning, water heater and refrigerator at the circuit breaker. Most converters share a breaker with another branch circuit so it may be desirable to install another breaker just for the converter. I hardwired a 30 amp receptacle off my inverter thru the floor and just pulled my shore cable to it and plugged it right in. I did that for about 4 years before I installed a manual transfer switch, no more going out in the rain, all I do is flip a switch that switches power supplies and shuts off the circuits I don't want running off the inverter.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

i looked at your transfer switch past post. i guess my only question is why do you need to disconnect the converter when powering with the inverter? Won't everything work from the converter with the inverter being the power source?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb1b View Post
i looked at your transfer switch past post. i guess my only question is why do you need to disconnect the converter when powering with the inverter? Won't everything work from the converter with the inverter being the power source?
If the converter receives power via the AC distribution panel it will attempt to charge the batteries, which in turn will supply power to the inverter, this will cause a power loop that will drain the batteries very quickly. The batteries cannot charge themselves. Most people simply flip the circuit breaker for the converter to avoid this. You will still have AC supplied thru the other branch circuits and you will get all your DC straight from the batteries not the converter.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

last dumb question! couldn't I just put a switch on the battery charging line to shut off converter's attempt to charge batteries when inverter supplying the pannel the power?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

No. The wire that is used from the converter to the batteries for charging, is the same wire that supplies power from the batteries to the DC distribution center. Now if you're thinking to disconnect power from the converter before it connects to the distribution center, that is possible, however I cannot think of a reason to power the converter only to disconnect the other side.