Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #21
Site Team

Add up the wattage listed on the two fridges. On a sunny day you will need about 125% of that in solar panel wattage to run them . On cloudy days or at night, you will need another source of power. If you plan to use batteries, you will need several and twice the number of panels to charge the batteries while the first set is running during daylight. An 18W panel will provide less than 1 amp ( @12VDC) in full sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrg24 View Post
The service tech manager where I bought the camper said that this solar panel would be plenty to keep the batteries charged for the refrigerators. I'm so bummed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #22
Site Team

Add up the wattage listed on the two fridges. On a sunny day you will need about 125% of that in solar panel wattage to run them . On cloudy days or at night, you will need another source of power. If you plan to use batteries, you will need several and twice the number of panels to charge the batteries while the first set is running during daylight. An 18W panel will provide less than 1 amp ( @12VDC) in full sun.

Quote:
The service tech manager where I bought the camper said that this solar panel would be plenty to keep the batteries charged for the refrigerators. I'm so bummed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #23

Ok...after all the responses I am now looking into just replacing the fridge with one that will switch to propane Thanks for all yalls honest advice.
rcrg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Ok...after all the responses I am now looking into just replacing the fridge with one that will switch to propane Thanks for all yalls honest advice.
I think you will find that 600 watts of solar is cheaper than a new big fridge.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #25

Be honest with yourself are you really going to boondock that often to warrant a fridge change. My guess is <3% of all RVs on the road truly boondock all the time. Just something to think about.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #26

Quote:
I understand your thinking, but fridge replacements are expensive. Solar is nice, but IMHO, also just too expensive right now to do it right. So we just use our generators to keep the batteries charged. Easy. We boondock 80% of the time running generator 4-5 hours a day. Tell that tech who gave you advice that he needs a new job
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter