Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Inverter vs Converter

Ok here is my setup: 105watt solar panel, 2-6 volt Trojan 105 batteries run in series, Morningstar Tristar 45amp controller, Bogart trimetric 2030rv battery monitor, and a 800watt inverter. Question is can I plug my 30amp shore power plug into the inverter while dry camping to power the outlets and possibly the coffee pot and TV, without the converter trying to charge the batteries?
ftroop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #2

No worries... we'll get this sorted. I know what you have and are trying to do. Some may not have responded because some of the terminology in your post could be a little confusing, but I know what you meant.

First question though is did you install the shunt for your Tristar?
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The shortest answer is 'yes', if you switch the circuit breaker to the converter off.

The long answer though is whether or not you should. A lot more things get powered through the shore cable than just the outlets and TV. Your fridge, microwave, etc... which added up will probably tax your 800W inverter. Instead, I'd just plug the TV, coffee pot and whatever else you're looking to use directly into the inverter. (Also note that depending on your coffee pot, it may use up a fair chunk of that 800W. They're power hogs.)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #4

Yes, I installed a 500 amp shunt per the Bogart info. It looks like the converter is powered thru the 30 amp breaker, which seems to shut down the whole system.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
It looks like the converter is powered thru the 30 amp breaker, which seems to shut down the whole system.
Do you have a separate breaker in the main panel(like 15A) for your converter? That would give you a way to shut it off when using the inverter.

If not, you could take a look behind the panel and see where it is connected. Its probably spliced into the wire feeding one of your other circuits. If you have an open spot in the panel, add a new breaker to isolate the converter. Then you can shut it off before using the inverter. In the scenario where you have the 30A main cord going to the inverter, you would also want to manually put the fridge on gas on flip the breakers for the microwave and AC as well. If somebody tried to start those while in the inverter, you would overload it.

Or, take the other route, and just plug your 110V items directly into the inverter.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Thanks for all the help/info.

Tags
converter, inverter