Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

IOTA or PD converter

2019 Mini-Lite 2507, want to swap out the WFCO 8955 for either the IOTA DLS-55 (with IQ4) or the Prog Dynamics 9260C (built in Charge Wizard). Plan to replace stock Interstate grp24 wet batt with a good AGM. Any pros/cons, experience with either of these units? Both seem comparable in specs and price and should drop right in to lower power center space. Thanks --
seatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

First check with the charging specs for the brand of AGM battery you will be buying. There are some minor differences between Odyssey, Northstar, Lifeline, etc. Do a search on Google for Firefly Oasis. Practical Sailor has some good articles on batteries.
Also, Battleborn does not like the Iota LiFePo dongle charging voltages at 14.7. They want 14.6 max. For their Lithium, if you are ever considering that. I have one of my DLSs with the LiFePo dongle and have not seen 14.7 while charging a BB lithium, even on my bench with short cables (2 foot).

I have 3 Iota dls-55 converters I use for different things, and have had Iota power supplies for years (since 2003). Even though you can get an internal IQ4, do Not. Buy the separate IQ-AGM “dongle”. Also, do NOT buy the DLS-X as it does not appear to have AGM or Lithium charge curves. The internal IQ4 is basically for flooded (wet) cell batteries and voltages will be different than most,AGMs require. I use my DLS with AGM for charging an Odyssey group 31. It does fine, better than the WFCO. I did fit it into the space where the WFCO power supply was, and I ran the next wire gauge larger to the points on the circuit board. The WFCO is hard wired, the IOTA has a plug that you can cut off or use a short extension cord from the breaker.

I bought a PD drop in for the WFCO when I was going to go to Lithium, but, I did not like the 10 gauge discharge wire size PD supplied (soldered) that goes to the control panel. I sent it back. I also got some “gruff” from the forum for criticizing the PD “holy grail”. So, no PD units for me.

I did “cheat” and only installed one screw to hold the DLS, the oange wire is for the short extension cord (end cut off), and the 12 volt from DLS to WFCO circuit board is routed a bit different. Also, I can’t see the dongle green light when the WFCO cover is installed. I have an RC Power GT130 i temporarily attach at the battery using andrson connectors when I want to check voltage
HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37B0EDA7-F535-48CA-9E33-3162FD6F91E0.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	218981  
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks Pal, good info, think I'll go with the IOTA. Why only one screw? rest didn't line up or something?
seatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #4

You can see the second screw a bit to the left of the second mounting foot. THe single screw was the factory location. Initial intent was temporary, but, it works well as is. Nothing slides around.

There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

I agree with the Iota choice...they have about 4-5 different IQ plug ins now to give you instant upgradability or switchability for different batts and charging needs. Visit their website for a comprehensive description of each so you pick the right one for your new batt.
ONE caveat...AGM's don't really like heavy automatic charging and BOTH progressive and iota have weekly drop ins to bulk mode 14.4V or so rather than just floating at 13.2
This is NOT a problem if the coach is in use or not laid up for long term BUT...if you plan to store it plugged in for months or leave it plugged in at a campground all summer then BOTH of these brands could cause problems with an AGM. Other brands operate in a similar manner so it is not unique to them and is designed to overcome the need to EQ a wet cell battery to avoid sulphation by running mini EQ sessions weekly. Just not a good choice for AGM's left permanently plugged in.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter