Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Is it a short?

Hello all!

I am the new owner of a Georgetown 364TS. We've had it for about 45 days and I feel like things just keep going wrong!

Last night, our propane detector was going off every 30 seconds, but the light/sound code didn't match any in the manual. The test/reset button wouldn't work. So, we detached that detector and went out and bought a plug in detector which showed there was no leak.

Today, we tried to reattach the detector. Now it's not getting power. We also found that the radio over the door and the radio mounted outside have no power.

We called tech support and they said there is a short. We need to bring it in and have someone look at it. But - the place nearby isn't taking appointments until the beginning of August at this point.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how we can fix this ourselves? Could it just be a fuse? And if so, where is it?

Thanks in advance!

Key
keykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

check the fuses?
does the radio work on 120V or 12V?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
check the fuses?
does the radio work on 120V or 12V?

We believe they are 12V. We don't have a fuse tester. I guess we will go pick one up. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #4

The propane detector beeping every 30 seconds usually indicates a low battery. When you get a volt meter, check the battery voltage, should or 12.5 volts or higher.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #5

Yes, sounds like parasitic discharge going on. I assume you have a battery disconnect switch inside the coach? You need to make sure that's turned off when you put your rig in storage another assumption. You also might want to consider a disconnect switch which ensures there's no current discharge whatsoever. You can get an inexpensive one for under $6 at harbor freight or wal mart. Hooked up on the neg terminal thats wired to ground.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #6

We checked every fuse. Every one of them was fine. The battery meter says the batteries are fully charged. I guess next step is a voltmeter. Thanks for your help all.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keykey View Post
We checked every fuse. Every one of them was fine. The battery meter says the batteries are fully charged. I guess next step is a voltmeter. Thanks for your help all.
Instead of buying just a volt meter, get a digital multimeter instead. It'll come in handy. I got one at harbor freight pretty inexpensive. Digital is a lot easier and much more accurate to read than needle. When you say battery meter, are you talking about the wall panel? That's not accurate at all.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keykey View Post
We believe they are 12V. We don't have a fuse tester. I guess we will go pick one up. Thanks!
The ohm meter on the digital multimeter will test fuses too. As well as small batteries like flashlight 9volt etc etc
Old 07-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
The ohm meter on the digital multimeter will test fuses too. As well as small batteries like flashlight 9volt etc etc

The propane alarm is powered direct from the chassis battery via an inline fuse. Idea being you cannot take the protection away. Could be when you disconnect the lead you caused a short to ground. Normally found close to the battery it's a small lead with fuse.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

Beeping ? Lights Blinking ? all of that requires 12v power. Do you have 12v power for lights ? Does you lights work when disconnected from shore power ?
If all that is fine....there is a chance the Detector is defective. Pull the 12v in-line fuse for the detector...what happens...it goes dark. See if you can find that fuse. mine is under front of trailer frame where all the battery cables run. Red wire...small sealed fuse holder...pull fuse...wait 2 minutes...reinstall...see if it resets. May take a minute or so to stop blinking.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
The propane alarm is powered direct from the chassis battery via an inline fuse. Idea being you cannot take the protection away. Could be when you disconnect the lead you caused a short to ground. Normally found close to the battery it's a small lead with fuse.
Not true if you have a disconnect switch on the coach battery(s) ground terminal which ceases all 12v current to my rig. Ensuring there's no draining the battery while in extended storage. Not having that switch killed my batteries. When i had my tt, that would discharge the battery.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
When you say battery meter, are you talking about the wall panel? That's not accurate at all.
This is true. Here's the short and sweet of the "battery meter" in control panels: if the unit is plugged in to shore power, those light will show "full" (all lights on) even if the battery is shot.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This is true. Here's the short and sweet of the "battery meter" in control panels: if the unit is plugged in to shore power, those light will show "full" (all lights on) even if the battery is shot.
Exactly!!! I learned that the hard way!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Exactly!!! I learned that the hard way!
I know it's hard to believe... but this was actually explained to me in my PDI when I bought my 3rd TT (I bought the 1st two from individuals - so no PDI).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #15

Hi all. Thanks for your help. We started the engine and ran the generator and everything started working again. The radios, the propane detector, all fine. So I guess it's a battery problem.

We left the rv for a couple of days and will go back tonight to see if everything is malfunctioning again.

I did mean the battery meter on the wall. It says fully charged.