Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Is it just me or is the location of panels ridiculous

Hi..we just picked up the 2020 FR Surveryor...25'...the location of the fuse box is THE MOST RIDICULOUS placement EVER!! I am in decent shape for a 50-something...and I can barely squeeze in between the bed and the wall. My husband is a big guy with back problems...he will NEVER be able to even SEE the box, let alone change something.

Not only that, but you have to lie directly on the floor and look up to see the fuses..getting your arms in there to pull and put them back in is another issue. Difficult to impossible of you have had any kind of neck issues.

So...FR engineers, if you read these at all..FOR GOSH SAKE PUT THE PANELS WHERE A NORMAL PERSON CAN REACH THEM, we are not all toothpick contortionists!

The main question - can I get this panel moved? ...I will give up storage or closet space for this bit of luxury of not having to try to change or even check a fuse from laying on the floor, wedged between a bed and wall...and most likley at some point in future, getting stuck.

Thank you.
Juli
juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You can get most anything moved if you are willing to pay for it. Realistically how often do you need to check the distribution panel? in the three years I have owned this rig I think I have only had to check it a couple of time when doing upgrades to the electrical. I do hear what you are saying tho about placement.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal! We had that problem in our Itasca MH. In our current rig, the breaker panel is on the floor, but in the living room. That means my wife has to do the honors because even if I can get down there, having gotten there I cannot get back up.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juli View Post
The main question - can I get this panel moved? ...I will give up storage or closet space for this bit of luxury of not having to try to change or even check a fuse from laying on the floor, wedged between a bed and wall...and most likley at some point in future, getting stuck.

Thank you.
Juli
Juli

You can move the distribution panel to an easier location. Some things to keep in mind:
  • You will need a connection panel of some kind where the distribution panel is now. Without a closed connection panel, every wire going to/from the present panel will have to re-routed. The easiest way is to take each wire off the panel (one at time is easiest), and connect it to a new wire that runs to the new panel location. Label the new wire, and leave it hanging at the new panel location.
  • After you get every new wire added and tagged, then (and only then) move the panel to the new location. Connect each tagged wire to the correct location on the panel in the new location.
  • Per code, every 120V wire needs to be connected with wire nuts (or other approved connector) inside a junction box. Box can be metal or plastic. Every 120V circuit is going to have 3 connections inside the box(es), black (hot), white (neutral), and bare (or green for ground).
  • For 12V connections, you are not required to terminate inside a box. I would recommend screw barrier strips to extend the DC positive wires, and mount the strips inside at least a partially enclosed container.
  • I would recommend you run both a positive and negative wire for each 12V circuit instead of having to tie every negative to the trailer frame. On the negative side, use a bus bar to attach all the wires to and run 2 extra wires to tie the 12V panel (in its new location) and the bus bar to the trailer frame.
  • Use wire sizes at least as big as the wires coming into the panel now. Bigger won't hurt anything, smaller will.
A fair amount of work for probably not a lot of return. However, if it's important to you, do it. And if you test as you go, you will know for sure what is on each and every circuit. And if you take the chance to put this knowledge on your panel labels, you (and any future owner) will thank you. You will also fix poorly made connections near your panel. Do it neatly, and make your work something to be proud of.

yours in wiring
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Was your fuse panel in this location when you bought the unit and you just didn’t notice it?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Hi..we just picked up the 2020 FR Surveryor...25'...the location of the fuse box is THE MOST RIDICULOUS placement EVER!! I am in decent shape for a 50-something...and I can barely squeeze in between the bed and the wall. My husband is a big guy with back problems...he will NEVER be able to even SEE the box, let alone change something.

Not only that, but you have to lie directly on the floor and look up to see the fuses..getting your arms in there to pull and put them back in is another issue. Difficult to impossible of you have had any kind of neck issues.

So...FR engineers, if you read these at all..FOR GOSH SAKE PUT THE PANELS WHERE A NORMAL PERSON CAN REACH THEM, we are not all toothpick contortionists!

Thank you.
Juli
The service panel can be moved, but there are a lot of things that need to be taken into account such as where to move it to? From your post it appears that neither your or your husband can physically do this work. Therefor you should enlist the services of a "reputable" residential electrician. I would venture to guess that with labor & materials this job would cost out at about $1,000. And then there's the hole left where the panel used to be....
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:

Thank you.
Juli
My 120v panel and 12v fuse are both 4 inches from the floor. I am far sighted and can not read the labels. I removed the covers and took pictures with my cell phone to be able to read the labels.

I memorized the 120v circuit breaker function.

The 12v fuses could be replaced with 12v circuit breaker with a button reset.. these would be easier to reset than a standard fuse.

I hope this helped. Please let us know what you do.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Every RV distribution panel I've ever seen, is down near the floor.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:44 AM   #9

Does anybody know why the distribution panel isn't located in a more accessible location?

Rewiring it when it is working, would fall under the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” rule. It’s like opening your door, and inviting Gremlins in.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Site Team

I can see where that can be an issue. I looked at a couple of 25' Surveyor units, but I didn't know the exact model you have.

Can you post a picture of the panel and the surrounding area. That way we could offer some suggestions about how feasible it would be to move it and potential places.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
Does anybody know why the distribution panel isn't located in a more accessible location?

Rewiring it when it is working, would fall under the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” rule. It’s like opening your door, and inviting Gremlins in.

Because in RV's space is limited and if factories installed them in prominent, easy to access, locations people would complain because "it looks hideous on that wall", etc. People are now demanding more slides so that limits space even more as installing a power panel on a moving slide is just not practical.

Power panels are rarely accessed so they just put them in an available space. I do agree that under or behind a bed is ridiculous but then again, it may be the only space available.

Try to avoid overloading circuits and chances are the door to the panel will never be opened. Plug in several heaters or use high wattage appliances and people will definitely get their exercise.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Because in RV's space is limited and if factories installed them in prominent, easy to access, locations people would complain because "it looks hideous on that wall", etc. People are now demanding more slides so that limits space even more as installing a power panel on a moving slide is just not practical.

Power panels are rarely accessed so they just put them in an available space. I do agree that under or behind a bed is ridiculous but then again, it may be the only space available.

Try to avoid overloading circuits and chances are the door to the panel will never be opened. Plug in several heaters or use high wattage appliances and people will definitely get their exercise.
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

X3

To the OP...
Did you not know the location when you bought this R/V?
Not being smart but it seems it is a big deal now so I'm surprised it wasn't scoped out prior to purchasing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #14

Thanks all...we are not likely to move it and hope that we don't have any problems. When we bought it, I really didn't process where the panel was. I knew it was going to be on/near the floor, but didn't know (or didn't pay attention) that it was wedged between bed and wall. I do not think any consideration is taken into account about placement affect on actual customer. Oh, well...
Old 07-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #15

Hi -- it only became a 'big deal' when attempting to turn A/C on after it suddenly quit and when the TV also did not turn on. Also, this happened day after we picked up and during our walkthrough the slideout did not work.

It is back at the dealer, I asked to have the both electric panel and switch panels checked for any lose wires, etc...

Taking a picture of the panel is what I ended up doing. Which is great for looking, but when trying to pull fuses to see if anything was blown was doable, but really difficult.

Thanks
\
Old 07-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #16

Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
My 120v panel and 12v fuse are both 4 inches from the floor. I am far sighted and can not read the labels. I removed the covers and took pictures with my cell phone to be able to read the labels.

I memorized the 120v circuit breaker function.

The 12v fuses could be replaced with 12v circuit breaker with a button reset.. these would be easier to reset than a standard fuse.

I hope this helped. Please let us know what you do.

Why didn't I think of that?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #17
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Hi -- it only became a 'big deal' when attempting to turn A/C on after it suddenly quit and when the TV also did not turn on. Also, this happened day after we picked up and during our walkthrough the slideout did not work.

It is back at the dealer, I asked to have the both electric panel and switch panels checked for any lose wires, etc...

Taking a picture of the panel is what I ended up doing. Which is great for looking, but when trying to pull fuses to see if anything was blown was doable, but really difficult.

Thanks
\
Any small agile grandkids looking for an occasional part time job?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Every RV distribution panel I've ever seen, is down near the floor.
Mine is wonderfully about belly height.

But it's blocked by a cabinet door that is blocked by a slideout in the retracted position.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #19

According to the NEC, there is supposed to be min. 22" of working clearance in front of the panels. Problem is, RVs never get inspected by an authority having jurisdiction (AHJ). RVIA requires the NEC to be followed but they have no authority to enforce the code, or other codes/standards like say NFPA 1192. End result can be non-compliance and/or bad workmanship.

I would say 22" could be a rather tight squeeze for some, especially if you're lying on your side and need to extend your legs.

A lot of dumb stuff gets done by the various factories and it's too bad you can't just call in your local municipal inspector and have a manufacturer forced to make a correction it like you can in building construction.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #20
Camper

My panel is near the floor on the back wall in the bunkhouse. The only issue is if there is a problem with the 12v side then I have to manually open 2 slides to get into the room to access the panel. Some serious forethought went into that placement.

I truly believe the only consideration on placement of anything in an RV is where they can put it that would cost the least. They may have to use 3 feet more of wire to put the panel in a logical location. And there are control devices all over the place. Like the LCI remote control panel is actually behind a screwed in panel under the oven. Yeah, that makes sense.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location