Old 06-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #31
Site Team
I've had 3 different ones since 2005, all kept plugged to 30amp. Summertime, AC is set to 85 to keep inside from getting too hot. Wintertime, furnace set as low as it will go, @ 50 I think. Never any electrical issues.

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #32
Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Originally Posted by mrmilo View Post
I was recently told that is not good and I'm unnecessarily wearing out the converter and also wasting electricity for just powering the fridge. Is it ok to stay on shore power more or less indefinitely? Am I unnecessarily wasting electricity and should find a way to snake an extension cord to the fridge? Thanks

It is a fact that you are using up available lifespan of the devices, but whether or not this is wasting electricity and/or unnecessarily wearing them out is a matter of opinion. If you prefer to have the fridge and/or AC running then it seems worthwhile to me.

I keep our trailer plugged in year round so that the Xantrex Prosine Inverter/Charger can maintain the batteries properly. No need for running AC in an empty trailer here in the Pacific Northwest.

'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, D/A, MaxBrake, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro, AR Power Steps
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/Diamond pkg
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #33
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post

Kept mine plugged in for 1.5 years and lived in it for 6 months while new house was being built before that, NO problems!
Maurice, LA

2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
1973 Layton 23' (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #34
Originally Posted by mrmilo View Post
I guess the good thing is that none of the responses are explicitly saying it is a bad thing to do.
How many said so ... with numbers. Any reply that does not say why - with numbers - is best ignored. Now how many replies exist?

Battery life expectancy is determined by numerous conditions and parameters. For example, a battery left discharged has a reduced life expectancy. If a charger maintains voltage too high or is overcharged, then water can evaporate causing damage to electrodes. That voltage is best adjusted even for temperature. Does your charger do that?

Even 60 years ago, batteries were removed and stored in a well ventilated room with a trickle charger to protect battery life expectancy.

Does not matter what other chargers do. Or what others say they do. Only matters what your charger is doing. For example, what voltage does your charger remain at. Or even better, does it leave the battery alone (no charge or discharge) for most of the day?
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #35
Mine stays on 50 amp 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ugaoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #36
Normally disconnected. One of the 2 12V batteries went bad in a year. Don't know why for sure because I wasn't doing enough checking.

After replacing the batteries with two 6V golf cart (yes, the bad battery ruined the other one before I figured out what was happening) and installing a disconnect (not standard on A-frames and PUPs), I did some periodic voltage checks.

Batteries disconnected for 24 hours - 12.7 volts (fully charged).
Camper plugged in for over 72 hours, batteries connected - 13.7 volts (WIFCO converter not dropping into trickle mode after 44 hours per spec). Slight amount of water usage.
Redid test three times, same result (13.7V when plugged in, even for 2 weeks).

Until I replace the converter, I recharge after a trip, then unplug and disconnect.

I recommend checking your converter actually goes into trickle mode before leaving plugged in on permanent basis.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A-frame A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent sites one weekend at a time
next trip: Rocky Mountain National Park in July (4 days)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #37
Citrus County, Fl.
Living in the lightning capital of the world I keep mine plugged in 24/7. Since most days between June and Oct get into the 90's, the A/C is set to 88 and in the winter I use a dehumidifier. Batteries are checked once a month when I am done exercising the generator. I have a Progressive Industries EMS and a Progressive Dynamics converter.

I did the same with my old TT. After about 13 years the converter failed and was replaced with a Progressive Dynamics. When I sold it after 15 years the only thing that did not work was the fridge that conked out about 6 months prior.
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #38
When I get back from a trip and the Batteries are fully charged I use my battery disconnect and leave on shore power 24/7.. Couple days before I leave I connect the battery's via the disconnect switch and top them off before I Leave.. Always connected during the winter with the battery's disconnected..
2013 Dodge 2500 6.7 CTD
2014 Columbus 340RK
Richard Bong State Recreation area October 14-16
Site 225
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #39
IMO, you want to keep the unit plugged in 24/7. The built in charger is designed to trickle charge your battery (s) without overcharging. Current draw is negligible. Letting the battery discharge and recharging is not healthy for the battery.

Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is online now   Reply With Quote