Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Is my GFI dead

I was in the trailer this morning doing some cleanup when I noticed that the green light on my GFI was not on in the restroom. I pushed the test and reset buttons and nothing happened. I confirmed that not only this, but the outlet near the kitchen sink was also dead. The outlet in the restroom feeds this one as well.

I turned off the breakers and unscrewed the outlet. I then pulled out my volt/ohm meter and checked the voltage once the breaker was flipped back on. I do have 120 at the bottom lines coming in, but nothing coming out of the contacts at the top.

My trailer is not even a year old. Is the GFI dead, and if so, is it normal for a GFI to go out that quick??

Thanks.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

If you are getting 120 volts and it will not reset - replace the GFI - sounds like it went bad - it is not uncommon to have a GFI go bad.
not worth a warranty trip for a $5 or $10 part unless they are super close and not much of a waste of time.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #3

Yep definitely dead GFI. Replacing them is a common thing as already mentioned. Make sure when you replace it Not to mix up the power and load wires. The wires that are incoming MUST go into the line screws on the gfi or you will toast the GFI. I have seen them go instantly and after months when done wrong but they will fry eventually.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Thanks all. I just replaced it and I noticed it had a sticker on the side that it said that it was not designed for damp or wet areas.
Does a small restroom qualify as a wet or damp area??
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #5

i would not think so. even the bathroom is well ventilated.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Infractee

Eric, they do make GFCI plugs for damp/outdoor areas but I think they would be over kill for the lav in a camper? As Rick stated, just make sure the load and line supply is attached correctly and the line and neutral going to the other (protected) plug are installed correctly, this is very important not only for the life of the GFCI but also for the proper operation of it.
If it is wired wrong, it can still manually trip and reset with the buttons as if nothing is wrong but you will NOT be protected, this is very important as you might imagine for a 120V AC plug that is so close to a sink/tub.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

ya a normal gfi should be more then enough