Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #11

Get it updated if nothing more than your piece of mind.

I personally would rip that back to the feed and put in a new box with breakers.

Don't do it yourself since you're not experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Get yourself a good multimeter.
What he said!

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Don’t do this! You need 50AMPS to properly power your camper (30AMPS when you have to but not a good idea for a long term solution.)
I ran a 50 AMP trailer on a 30 AMP plug for about a year on a permanent site. It's not ideal but it's doable. You just have to watch what's running at any given time. Couldn't run both ACs. AC + microwave would usually trip the breaker as well. Most everything else was fine though.

I agree that running on a 15 AMP circuit is a very bad idea.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Get it updated if nothing more than your piece of mind.

I personally would rip that back to the feed and put in a new box with breakers.

Don't do it yourself since you're not experienced.

Exactly what needs to happen but in reality it probably won't. The reality is in these older campgrounds here in the NE that have seasonal sites, you take what they give you and learn to deal with it / manage it. Most have a waiting list for those sites, so they have no problem telling you to hit the road, they already usually have your money and you signed a non refundable statement. They have others on the list who will be on on that site tomorrow. If they start rewiring sites that means they have to get the municipality involved as far as permits and inspections, and they are not even going to get anywhere close to that issue. They may do some kind of bootleg repair under the radar but if they ever get the power company involved such as pulling the line fuse or disconnect they're not getting cut back in until its inspected. To get inspected requires permits. They'll end up being forced into bringing the entire campground up to code and in a lot of cases that will put them out of business.

The other reality here in PA where the OP is from, is most of our state and ACOE campgrounds are only 30 amp if they have electric, some are only 20 amp. Do you always get the full 30 amps? Usually not because of the old undersized conductors. You really need to read up on power management if you have a 50 amp RV, even a 30 amp RV. Not everyone go's to KOA, Jellystone Park, or the $100+ per night RV luxury concrete mega park with all night bingo. You can run your AC on a 20 amp receptacle (its on a 20 amp circuit in your power center) and even a 15 amp if you are close enough, and use a large enough gauge of cord, but you won't be running anything else except maybe the converter. And that's with a low load on it.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I ran a 50 AMP trailer on a 30 AMP plug for about a year on a permanent site. It's not ideal but it's doable. You just have to watch what's running at any given time. Couldn't run both ACs. AC + microwave would usually trip the breaker as well. Most everything else was fine though.

I agree that running on a 15 AMP circuit is a very bad idea.
Oh! I agree! Folks like you and me, who have been bumping around RV's for a while "know" these things (Honey, turn the A/C off for a few - I need to run the Microwave )

The OP, however, does not know this and IOT save him from himself I was just suggesting he get a 50AMP pedestal and be done with the headaches
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for your excellent responses.
First, thank you for looking out for my safety first and foremost. I take no offense but agree I know very little about electricity, and have no desire to do anything on my own.
Second, the Surge protector I have shows how many Amps are being used, and also shows the voltage coming in, as well as error codes if it shuts down. It has only shut down a few times (over holiday weekends) when the volts got below 108. It has never gone too high. So I'm thinking I do have the EMS.
Although the plug IS a 15amp style plug, I was told by the owners that I am getting 30amps through that. The fuse shown in the upper right, is a 30amp fuse.
The camper is wired for 50Amps in case I want to install a second A/C, which I know I can not do with only 30amp service. The only time I went over 30amps was once when I was running the fireplace, refrigerator, HW heater, and then used the Microwave. I now run refrig and HW on gas. I've seen my surge protector Amps go over 15 a few times, but generally not very often.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) we moved to this site at the end of last season. It is probably the best site in the campground, and one you won't find easily at other sites. It's huge, and faces the woods and is very private. So we really want to stay here. I'll have a talk with the office this weekend if we go there.

Thanks again folks!

2016 Forest River Surveyor 32RLTS
(Newbies: Our first camper. No truck. Permanent campsite in Pocono Mountains, PA.)
PoconoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkersic View Post
Second, the Surge protector I have shows how many Amps are being used, and also shows the voltage coming in, as well as error codes if it shuts down. It has only shut down a few times (over holiday weekends) when the volts got below 108. It has never gone too high. So I'm thinking I do have the EMS.
Yep, I believe you do! Does it look like the attached picture? And, if you paid over $200 for it (New) it is a EMS)

Quote:
Although the plug IS a 15amp style plug, I was told by the owners that I am getting 30amps through that. The fuse shown in the upper right, is a 30amp fuse.
If they <gulp> say so. Just be careful! go out on a high-load day (when you are using a lot of power) and feel the cord at several points - by the pedestal, by tour RV receiver and in the middle of the cord.

Is it warm? Is it HOT? is it too hot to hold? if so turn everything off NOW!

Quote:
The camper is wired for 50Amps in case I want to install a second A/C, which I know I can not do with only 30amp service.
Ah HA! That explains it! Now I understand. Good idea getting the 50AMPs JIC you need to expand in the future with another A/C!

Quote:
The only time I went over 30amps was once when I was running the fireplace, refrigerator, HW heater, and then used the Microwave. I now run refrig and HW on gas. I've seen my surge protector Amps go over 15 a few times, but generally not very often.
Google "RV Amperage Chart" and you will find several appliance amperage draw charts on the web. It would be a good idea to make your own based on what you have in your camper and keep it handy in the RV.

Quote:
Unfortunately (or fortunately) we moved to this site at the end of last season. It is probably the best site in the campground, and one you won't find easily at other sites. It's huge, and faces the woods and is very private. So we really want to stay here. I'll have a talk with the office this weekend if we go there.
If the owner will let you, and this is going to be "your" site for the next few years, I would pay an Electrician to strip that pedestal back to the line and put in a 50/30AMP plug - would not even bother with a 15AMP unless you wanted to plug in a 110V outdoor appliance like a Traeger Grill.

Can't say for PA, but here in Alabama a electrician will charge you @ $250-$300 for a pedestal - a small price to pay if that is going to be your site for the next few years.

Enjoy your camper! Lots of helpful folks on this site so ask away if you have any questions.

Oh, and since you are new to RVs, if your camper is on a full hookup site, please keep your black tank dump lever CLOSED until you are at or above 2/3's full. this is a common "newbie" mistake
Old 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
That doesn't sound right to me but I'm like you and know very little when it comes to electricity and how it works. I'm sure others will chime in if that's even possible...
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #18

Thanks again Bob.

We started using the new RV at the end of June 2015. We go there almost every weekend during the season (4/1 - 10/31). I've learned so much from this forum (I get email every day).

The black tank has been working out great for me. I always leave it closed, and with the built in sprayer, I clean it for a long time to try and get it real clean inside. The empty/full indicators have worked great, so I think I'm cleaning it well.
(Although they wired the 3 waste tanks wrong with the panel. I took off the inside panel to see if the wires were hooked up wrong, but with the battery and fresh tank wires, I couldn't tell what was what (it had 6 wires).

I will check the heat of the wires next time I'm there. But I've moved them a few times and never felt any heat whatsoever.

I have a good feel for what I can run, and what I can't. I try to keep it low and run off propane when I can. Other than the A/C, not much else is used.

(Newbies: Our first camper. No truck. Permanent campsite in Pocono Mountains, PA.)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That doesn't sound right to me but I'm like you and know very little when it comes to electricity and how it works. I'm sure others will chime in if that's even possible...
They said it is wired for 30amps. There have been times when I was showing between 15 and 30 amps. So I'm guessing if it was only 15amps, and I was using more than that, the fuse would have blown?

If I recall when I was a kid........do fuses blow = circuit breaker trips?
I've never had to do anything with that 30amp fuse shown on the box.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #20

Quote:
They said it is wired for 30amps. There have been times when I was showing between 15 and 30 amps. So I'm guessing if it was only 15amps, and I was using more than that, the fuse would have blown?

If I recall when I was a kid........do fuses blow = circuit breaker trips?
I've never had to do anything with that 30amp fuse shown on the box.
In-line fuses like the one on your pedestal are *ancient* everyone uses circuit breakers these days.

Also I forgot to attach the EMS photo - oops here it is.

Oh and a photo of a 50/30AMP pedestal with breakers and a 110V GFI Plug.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	115551  
Attached Images

Tags
electric, electrical