Old 07-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

Is this Electrical Setup Safe?

We bought our first RV last year. We are in our second year of having it at a permanent camp ground. We acquired a new site this year which did not have a place to plug in my 30amp cord. (camper is 50amp, so I used a 50 to 30 last year). The new site only has a regular looking house plug. (Sorry...very little understanding of electrical, which is why I'm posting this).

So I was told to get a 30amp to 15amp plug and it would work fine.

My question is could this set up cause any problems to my camper?
I do have a 30amp Surge Protector between the box and the RV.

Any idea what the round outlet on the left is? It looks like a 50amp, but the bottom upside down L doesn't allow a 50amp to fit it. Also, there is only a 30amp fuse.......no circuit breaker.

This scares me because my 1 year old Dometic A/C just broke. The mobile repair guy said the compressor was extremely hot and only getting .5 (volts or amps???) and the coil was not cold. It was only blowing warm air.

Also.......is there any danger in running a regular household extension cord from the post and plugging the camper 15amp plug into that? I'm assuming you could do it, but the extension cord would need to be heavy (how heavy?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-26-2016 2-20-20 PM.png
Views:	202
Size:	671.2 KB
ID:	115374

Thanks, Mike

2016 Forest River Surveyor 32RLTS
(Newbies: Our first camper. No truck. Permanent campsite in Pocono Mountains, PA.)
PoconoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkersic View Post
We bought our first RV last year. We are in our second year of having it at a permanent camp ground. We acquired a new site this year which did not have a place to plug in my 30amp cord. (camper is 50amp, so I used a 50 to 30 last year). The new site only has a regular looking house plug. (Sorry...very little understanding of electrical, which is why I'm posting this).

My question is could this set up cause any problems to my camper?
I do have a 30amp Surge Protector between the box and the RV.

Any idea what the round outlet on the left is? It looks like a 50amp, but the bottom upside down L doesn't allow a 50amp to fit it. Also, there is only a 30amp fuse.......no circuit breaker.

This scares me because my 1 year old Dometic A/C just broke. The mobile repair guy said the compressor was extremely hot and only getting .5 (volts or amps???) and the coil was not cold. It was only blowing warm air.

Also.......is there any danger in running a regular household extension cord from the post and plugging the camper 15amp plug into that? I'm assuming you could do it, but the extension cord would need to be heavy (how heavy?)

Attachment 115374

Thanks, Mike
You have to love private campground wiring, and the part time electricians who wired them. I would bet the farm the campground wiring is what cooked your AC.........Get a PI EMS and an autoformer.

If you bring an electric Dryer it will plug right in to that round outlet to the left, its a 14 30P old school dryer receptacle I think But its probably wired in a 30 amp 125 volt configuration................probably is a big word. It could also be wired 240. Do you have a tester? No telling how they wired it without taking it apart.....on both ends

Old 07-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Fuse from the 40's

I haven't seen a screw in fuse used like the one in the posted picture in a long time. Looks like a pre 50's fuse. If you are seasonal, I would update the whole box (panel) to a up to date RV pedestal. It would be worth paying a electrician to rewire the panel!

From the picture posted , there is another box below it. Have you investigated the panel below the one you show in the picture?
BOLIY PRO 3600SI GEN
DAYS CAMPED 2016 74 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

I do have a PI Surge Protector; not sure if that is same as EMS. I'm not familiar with an autoformer so I looked it up online. I feel I shouldn't have to buy "boosters" if I'm understanding what that is.

I don't know much about electrical, but am willing to learn so I don't blow up the camper appliances. What kind of tester should I get and how and what should I be testing? I rely on the PI to tell me the volts, amps, etc.

Why would this set up cause problems with the A/C? I'm asking so I can have some leverage with the campsite owners to convince them I need updating.

If they agree to let me get an electrician, I may do that myself if it's not too expensive. I guess a lot depends too on the wires coming into the post?

2016 Forest River Surveyor 32RLTS
(Newbies: Our first camper. No truck. Permanent campsite in Pocono Mountains, PA.)
PoconoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

Well there are lots of testers but you need to have a working knowledge because that receptacle could be wired many different ways. It could be wired 120 volt, 240 volt, with ground or without etc etc etc. There is no telling what was done in an older private campground. I mentioned the autoformer because of your first post.......By the looks of that panel I'd bet they have undersized conductors feeding it................That's a 1960's panel

"The mobile repair guy said the compressor was extremely hot and only getting .5 (volts or amps???)"

Without knowing exactly what he said that statement screams "low voltage". The PI portable surge products do not warn of low or high voltage.

Since its a seasonal site calling an electrical contractor just to stop and take a look at it would be a wise investment and it shouldn't cost all that much.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

I would not do anything with that old set up (or any other for that matter) as far as removing covers, changing plugs, etc, without first de-energizing the circuit feeding the panel. Electricity can and will kill you if given half a chance. Be very, very careful since, admittedly, you know very little about electricity. Let an electrician handle it.
TV 2013 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

the fuses for the what appears to be 50 amp connection are behind that pull out disconnect above the plug. Like others have said get a qualified electrician to check things out or better yet request a different site with correct connections.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #8

Any chance you can move to a new spot with a better panel? If they are all like that, I think I would look for a new campground.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #9

I know on my trailer, which is 30 amp, the A/C will not run if I use the 30 to 15 amp converter. Like others said, I would be updating that panel or asking for a new site with the correct hook ups.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #10

Hi Mike!

Combining a couple of your posts here to answer questions (and help me understand J )

Quote:

Do I understand correctly that you have a 50AMP Camper and you are stepping the power all the way down to 110V (15AMP) receptacle?

If so this is a VERY BAD thing to do. Your camper was designed to draw 50AMP power for a variety of reasons (maybe 2 air conditioners, a fireplace, or other high-draw appliances)

If you have been running your air conditioner on 15AMP service it is no wonder you burned it up. In fact I am surprised there was even enough AMPS to turn over the compressor.

Quote:
My question is could this set up cause any problems to my camper? I do have a 30amp Surge Protector between the box and the RV. .

The Surge Protector won’t make any difference – you need an Electrical Management System (see below)

Quote:
Also.......is there any danger in running a regular household extension cord from the post and plugging the camper 15amp plug into that? I'm assuming you could do it, but the extension cord would need to be heavy (how heavy?) .

Don’t do this! You need 50AMPS to properly power your camper (30AMPS when you have to but not a good idea for a long term solution.)

Quote:
I do have a PI Surge Protector; not sure if that is same as EMS. I'm not familiar with an autoformer so I looked it up online. I feel I shouldn't have to buy "boosters" if I'm understanding what that is..

It is not. A EMS (Electrical Management System) Protects your camper from high voltages (Surges) and Low Voltages (Brown outs) – the low voltage is what fried you’re A/C.

A Hughes Autoformer is the key to preventing low voltage – it is a stabilizer and ensures your camper always has the correct voltage in. The Combination of a PI EMS & a Hughes Autoformer is the electrical management dream team.

Quote:
I don't know much about electrical, but am willing to learn so I don't blow up the camper appliances. What kind of tester should I get and how and what should I be testing? I rely on the PI to tell me the volts, amps, etc.

Get yourself a good multimeter. Here is a link to some YouTube How to videos:
Quote:
Why would this set up cause problems with the A/C? I'm asking so I can have some leverage with the campsite owners to convince them I need updating.

Low Amperage – the A/C needs at minimum 30AMPS

Quote:
If they agree to let me get an electrician, I may do that myself if it's not too expensive. I guess a lot depends too on the wires coming into the post?

Please do not be offended, but you do not have enough experience to wire the post for 50AMPS (Hell, I am handy around electricity but I would not want to wire up a 50AMP outlet! )

Mike, Hope this helps!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical