Old 06-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayers1 View Post
2, As for the wires in the back. Could I twist just tie Feeder Pos wire to the closet light Pos wire and the POD pos wire all together. Just like they do on houses instead of using a barrel crimp.
There is a lot more vibration in your RV than in your home. You really should use a crimp to join the wires. You can buy a crimper for as little as $6 and then you'll have it for future work.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

RodeoGeorge, I understand.

The rear camera is powered by the RCA cable coming from the POD. The other side of the POD has the Pos & Neg for both.

The feeder wire I'm referring tois the supply wire to the closet. Since I cut both Pos & Neg wires going to the closet light, now I have a Pos & Neg for the closet light and the supply coming in. I will tape off all unions and run a single Pos wire in a junction box that will have a single pole switch for power to the POD. I think I'll put the FUSE between the switch and Pod as one wire.

I don't know if you understood my fix for the front.
Since I'm taking the Key On Pos & Neg from the Radio. I thought to run power from the fuse box and ground from the chassis. This means the radio will always have power. My concern is the 2nd power wire going to the radio for it's memory. Meaning that there is power there all the time as will. Which leads me to this question.

Is it OK to have 2 seperate always on pos wires going to the Radio.

In reality, those 2 wires are on ONLY when radio is turned on.

So, what do you think?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #13

I would buy a set of $20 Klein crimpers from Home Depot to crimp the connectors then those cheap crappy crimpers.
Working in the access control industry I have seen crappy crimps that come apart and make it bad when you have to go back and re-crimp someone else's crimp

I would stay away from wire nuts - like stated about vibration and could also possibly be a fire hazard - I remember something about boats and insurance
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayers1 View Post
Is it OK to have 2 seperate always on pos wires going to the Radio.

In reality, those 2 wires are on ONLY when radio is turned on.

So, what do you think?
First, it is okay to have both the radio and the memory going to an always ON 12V source. Just be aware of the fact that if you ever turn the volume down on the radio and fail to turn it OFF, you will drain your battery. That is why the radio is normally wired to a circuit that is live when the key is in the accessory or ignition on position.

Personally, I'd wire the memory to an always on, and the radio power input to an accessory circuit.

The memory retention circuit has a very low current draw, normally way down in the milliamps.

I certainly agree with the others regarding wire connections. Where possible, I normally solder all my connections, but if that's not possible I use crimp connectors. You'll be glad that you did in the long run.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #15

Well I finally finished and just in time, Monday were starting our journey from Arkansas to Yosemite National Park.

I have to say that I'm very pleased on the performance and clarity of picture. I was also impressed with the infrared light, it does provide a clear picture with depth. I am only using one camera for rear viewing. This set up was an eBay $115.00 item. Will see how it holds up on the round trip.

I finished by keeping the original radio wires together. I thought if I did use the radio wires and something burns up then maybe the whole harness might fry as well. I found an only accessory empty fuse location and used it for power to thr monitor and Rec Pod, I did put an inline fuse in. As for ground I used a section of the chassis near the steering column.

I want to thank everyone for their opinion and help, especially Rodeo George.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #16
Owner/Operator

Glad that you're up and going.

I also finished replacing the Monitor and Camera on my truck. The original Camera was very low resolution, and the Monitor was about 3.5 inches. It was intended to be use on for hitching up.

I now have a High Resolution CCD Camera hard wired to a 7 inch Monitor for the truck. DHL is due to deliver my 3 Watt 1.2 GHz Transmitter/Receiver tomorrow, so the Camera on the rear of the 5th wheel is next.

I have a trip to a Rodeo in Santa Fe, NM next week, and will probably do a temporary installation on the Cargo Trailer that I'll be taking to see how things shake out.

RodeoGeorge

All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote