Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Issues with 120V circuit

Need help with an electrical problem on my 2017 Micro Lite 25BDS. All worked good last year. This year after prepping for a trip, the GFCI outlet drops out. It will not stay reset. I replaced the GFCI outlet to have the same problem. I am assuming I have a short someplace. I will try to trace it down, but would like to see a wiring schematic. Is there a site I can find these? has anyone had this before? This does affect all outlets in the living, dining room, and kitchen area. The circuit is on the Refer circuit breaker.
Thank you
bbeck5257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck5257 View Post
Need help with an electrical problem on my 2017 Micro Lite 25BDS. All worked good last year. This year after prepping for a trip, the GFCI outlet drops out. It will not stay reset. I replaced the GFCI outlet to have the same problem. I am assuming I have a short someplace. I will try to trace it down, but would like to see a wiring schematic. Is there a site I can find these? has anyone had this before? This does affect all outlets in the living, dining room, and kitchen area. The circuit is on the Refer circuit breaker.
Thank you
I do know that all the 120v outlets are controlled by the single gfi wherever it is placed in your camper. Check all the other outlets before tracing wires.
bigedlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Simplest things first. A GFI doesn't like being plugged into another GFI. Are you plugging into one? If so, plugging into one can cause one of them keep tripping.

Secondly, if that wasn't the case, then use a little tester like this at each plug:

Doesn't catch everything, but it saves you ripping open walls and tracing lines for things you can catch.

If you've ruled out both of those, then you start tracing lines.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Are plugged into a GFCI protected outlet at your house? If so, try a non GFCI circuit in the house.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Team

You won't find a schematic unless an owner drew up one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #6

I had the same issue ended up replacing every outlet in the camper. It’s a crazy set up but it’s for safety. If you end up re-wiring, be sure to use one of the polarity testers that plug into the outlet.
If you have a surge protector, and the campground has one, the two might not work together so try without your surge protector.
RFGTLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Thank you
Yes, they are all on that same circuit. Checking all of the outlets will be my first job tonight.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Simplest things first. A GFI doesn't like being plugged into another GFI. Are you plugging into one? If so, plugging into one can cause one of them keep tripping.

Secondly, if that wasn't the case, then use a little tester like this at each plug:

Doesn't catch everything, but it saves you ripping open walls and tracing lines for things you can catch.

I do have one of those.
Thank you
Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Are plugged into a GFCI protected outlet at your house? If so, try a non GFCI circuit in the house.
No, it wasn't. I had the same problems when I was at a campground last weekend.
Thank you
Old 06-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGTLG View Post
I had the same issue ended up replacing every outlet in the camper. It’s a crazy set up but it’s for safety. If you end up re-wiring, be sure to use one of the polarity testers that plug into the outlet.
If you have a surge protector, and the campground has one, the two might not work together so try without your surge protector.
Thank you
I will keep all that in mind.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You won't find a schematic unless an owner drew up one.
I didn't think I would. Had to ask.
Thank you
Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #12

To save a bit of time, and/or confusion, unplug everything on the 120 volt circuit with the GFCI. it "might" be the problem, instead of the RV wiring. If you determine the problem to be in the wiring, check the outlets that may get wet first, such as the outdoor receptacles, first. It only takes perhaps 4Ma (0.004 amp) of leakage to trip a GFCI. You can al;so find the handy dandy outlet testers with a GFCI test button on them.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
To save a bit of time, and/or confusion, unplug everything on the 120 volt circuit with the GFCI. it "might" be the problem, instead of the RV wiring. If you determine the problem to be in the wiring, check the outlets that may get wet first, such as the outdoor receptacles, first. It only takes perhaps 4Ma (0.004 amp) of leakage to trip a GFCI. You can al;so find the handy dandy outlet testers with a GFCI test button on them.
I didn't think of outside outlets. I think there is only one. Good thought.
Thank you
Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #14
D W

Quote:

While these testers are wonder tools, they will not work unless the circuit is energized. The OP states that he installed a new GFCI and it will not reset. As the GFCI is the first outlet in the circuit the tester will not show anything. He has a ground fault somewhere. I would unplug all shore power and start at the AC service panel checking the neutral and ground connections and work my way through all the receptacles starting with the outside receptacle. The slightest bit of corrosion or looseness of wires will cause that GFCI to trip. Those press-in 110V outlets they use are cheap Chinese junk. They often break when pressing wires in. That could present the ground fault problem, too.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
While these testers are wonder tools, they will not work unless the circuit is energized. The OP states that he installed a new GFCI and it will not reset. As the GFCI is the first outlet in the circuit the tester will not show anything. He has a ground fault somewhere. I would unplug all shore power and start at the AC service panel checking the neutral and ground connections and work my way through all the receptacles starting with the outside receptacle. The slightest bit of corrosion or looseness of wires will cause that GFCI to trip. Those press-in 110V outlets they use are cheap Chinese junk. They often break when pressing wires in. That could present the ground fault problem, too.
Correct, he would have to bypass the GFI in order to use that tester. Not recommended to bypass it for good, but would be a way to check things without opening everything up.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Correct, he would have to bypass the GFI in order to use that tester. Not recommended to bypass it for good, but would be a way to check things without opening everything up.
He should a probe to see if he even has 120v at the GFI that would not reset. I always start with a probe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tester.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	175787
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #17

info

gfci outlets are linked to other outlets,if any of the other outlets have a problem it will pop the gfci..find out what other outlets are not working and you have to remove them one at a time and inspect them...my last forest river unit had the same problem,i ended up replacing all the crap outlets with regular household outlets,they have better connection property's...and make shure the screws are tight on the outlets....
Old 06-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Thank you
Yes, they are all on that same circuit. Checking all of the outlets will be my first job tonight.
All the outlets are not on the GFI. You should have 2 circuits, 1 general and 1 GFI. The GFI controls the Bath, outside, Kitchen counters. Sometimes they add the microwave.

GFI are used to protect near water.

You also cannot plug your camper into a GFI circuit. You have one in the trailer. if you plug into one they get onto a fight.

You also must install a GFI correctly. It is much different than regular outlets. There is a line side and a load side. Black wires go on the gold screws. white wires go on the silver. Remember. Line side. (the side going to the breaker. and a load side. (the side going to the next outlet.) 2 black and white pairs.

If it's tripping find out why. It's doing its job. Changing outlets is not the thing to do. Something is pluged in that is causing the problem.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #19

I ended up replacing all outlets in the GFI circuit. All were cracked and broken from original install. I ended up find a wire from one outlet to another that was causing the problem. I fed that outlet from another outlet.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #20
D W

Quote:
I ended up replacing all outlets in the GFI circuit. All were cracked and broken from original install. I ended up find a wire from one outlet to another that was causing the problem. I fed that outlet from another outlet.
Cracked RV receptacles are very common. They are not very durable. Often times just pushing a plug into them several times will stress them enough to crack them. I replaced all of mine with Leviton Nema 5's from Home Depot.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote