Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #1

It's HOT!!!

We're in Southern Utah for 4 days. It was 111 degrees yesterday and supposed to be the same or hotter the next 3 days. Our lil Dometic on the roof ain't keeping up to the DW demands. Anyway my other concern is last night the main 30amp breaker (not the AC) tripped. It killed the AC for a bit and when I went to investigate the breaker was HOT! The breaker at the pedistal was fine and my surge protector was still reading ok. It's the breaker in the trailer that tripped. My question is should I be concerned with just flipping the breaker back after shutting everything but the AC off? Would there be a need to replace the breaker? I know it just did it's job tripping like that, but in 111 temps we need the AC. I'm debating on installing a fan in the breaker panel to help keep things cool. In the meantime should I remove the panel to help cool things? Hate to pull out and head home because of the heat here but might have to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	58872  

Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

Nobody has any input?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Team

I saw your post but I can't offer any feedback with this issue. Hopefully others will drop by and give some suggestions. Sometimes posts get lost in the rotation shuffle due to incoming posts.

If you don't mind I could edit the title so that members can tell help is needed.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Sounds like a fan to cool the board would be your quick work around. Maybe it is because your a/c isn't able to cycle off due to the temperature variant.

Try setting the thermo a bit higher, to minimize current draw through the board. Other than that, not sure what else would work.

As a gauge, are you able to feel the supply line for that circuit to see if the romex is warm. That would tell you bundles about your circuits resistance. Definately pull the cover to vent the board/breaker as you suggested.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Your AC unit can not do what you are asking it to do, there is no way to keep the inside of the unit cool under the so very high conditions. Your Fridge and everything else is working overtime. Raise the temp of the AC as high as you can stand. If you are away from the unit for an extended time, shut the AC off and open the windows and have a fan on. Do you have pets with you? they should be the for front in your mind for their safety. Use as little power as you can on your other systems when the AC is on. With your AC on and others draws the converter will be working over time. Your breaker is hot...? Everything is hot... it is 111 degrees outside. Drink lots of fluids... not booze.... Enjoy the heat... with the global change,we will be in an ice age in a few years.

Hope it gets cooler there so you can enjoy it more.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Did you just say "Enjoy the heat"??? I think it may have already got to you.

We're in El Paso at a location where there is NO SHADE. It's hot and dry. We had to resort to putting silver bubble wrap up on sun facing windows and even went as far as to apply it to the OUTSIDE on the two largest windows. BTW, *that* made a noticeable difference. Sad, because we lose the mountain view.

Both AC's run wide open from about 11am until about 8pm, then finally start cycling. We also have oscillating fans running wide open inside. We are able to maintain about a 24* (75* - 80* inside) drop inside, compared to outside when the sun is blasting us. At night, we let it go down to around 68* inside.

The dog days of summer are here.... uggh.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Your AC unit can not do what you are asking it to do, there is no way to keep the inside of the unit cool under the so very high conditions. Your Fridge and everything else is working overtime. Raise the temp of the AC as high as you can stand. If you are away from the unit for an extended time, shut the AC off and open the windows and have a fan on. Do you have pets with you? they should be the for front in your mind for their safety. Use as little power as you can on your other systems when the AC is on. With your AC on and others draws the converter will be working over time. Your breaker is hot...? Everything is hot... it is 111 degrees outside. Drink lots of fluids... not booze.... Enjoy the heat... with the global change,we will be in an ice age in a few years.

Hope it gets cooler there so you can enjoy it more.
Here read this, it should cheer you up.
Is there global cooling? The answer might not be what you expected. - Home
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions all! I have fans blowing and the breaker box opened. Just sweating it out here. I can only get this rig down to 88 degrees today with it being 108 outside right now. Where's the pool...
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Plain Old Member

Not for sure, but I have had breakers go bad or get weak before. Had one get extremely hot to the touch. Replaced and all was well. Just a posibility. It shouldn't be tripping unless the power demand is just too much. Not sure what all you have running outside of fridge, AC and converter.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Not for sure, but I have had breakers go bad or get weak before. Had one get extremely hot to the touch. Replaced and all was well. Just a posibility. It shouldn't be tripping unless the power demand is just too much. Not sure what all you have running outside of fridge, AC and converter.
Just AC. We have the fridge and the water heater on gas for that reason. AC and 2 110v fans. Gonna put some dry ice in the fridge to help bring the temp down.