Old 07-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
Moderators' Assistant

The best most versatile purchase is a pair of 2000w inverter generators with parallel kit.
All weigh around 50lbs each empty.
If you don't need a/c, then you only need one to run everything else.

Honda and Yamaha are the gold standard but are pricy.
Champion has become the most popular economical alternative to the H&Y units.

There are others out there but haven't been around long enough to be a proven product.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
I'm smiling at how everyone assumed in the OP's post that the word "gender" meant generator. I, on the other hand, thought plug adapters, especially when they were asking about 30 amp vs 50 amp. Was I the only one?
Most likely, since their actual thread title states:

Just bought our first TT. Now what generator do we buy?

and then their post says the same in the first two sentences, I would think it's a pretty safe assumption the OP is asking about generators:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
We just bought our first TT. What gender should we buy and why? Also when looking a campgrounds, they say 30 or 50 amp. What the heck does that mean?
so you possibly may have been the only one....or not.

People say I over-complicate things, but Iíd say that I just have a propensity for articulating things in an overly verbose manner which isnít often required.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
We just bought our first TT. What gender should we buy and why? Also when looking a campgrounds, they say 30 or 50 amp. What the heck does that mean?
We just returned from a 4 day dry camping trip, used a RAVEN 4000 generator I ordered from Home Depot. The generator cost just under $300.00 and has 120/20 amp duplex, 120/30 amp RV ready connection and a 12 volt supply connector. Unit came with a wheel kit and fold down handles. Not only did it power everything in our 26RR Toy Hauler using the 30 amp plug, it supplied power to a fellow campers needs using the 20 amp duplex for the entire time. Noise level wasn't too bad and gas consumption was extremely low (about 5 gallons total). Not as pricey as some models and I really didn't expect such a good unit for the cost ~ but honestly, it performed absolutely great! Weight factor is just over 100 lbs.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #24
Dusty72

I am going to purchase 2 of the nothern tool powerhorse 2000 watt inverter generators. They come with the cable to connect them together and create 30amp service. It is a Honda clone. Check them out.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200623983_200623983.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #25

Figure out how many watts you need and buy the appropriate sized Honda. Definitely not the least expensive way to go, but Honda quality and features are the best of any portable generator available.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #26
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Unless your not going to boon dock forget the generator. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 50
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #27
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
We just returned from a 4 day dry camping trip, used a RAVEN 4000 generator I ordered from Home Depot. The generator cost just under $300.00 and has 120/20 amp duplex, 120/30 amp RV ready connection and a 12 volt supply connector. Unit came with a wheel kit and fold down handles. Not only did it power everything in our 26RR Toy Hauler using the 30 amp plug, it supplied power to a fellow campers needs using the 20 amp duplex for the entire time. Noise level wasn't too bad and gas consumption was extremely low (about 5 gallons total). Not as pricey as some models and I really didn't expect such a good unit for the cost ~ but honestly, it performed absolutely great! Weight factor is just over 100 lbs.
NOT appropriated for any campground and its noise level exceeds most parks noise limits for generators.
any generator that doesn't have its noise level rating, means it's LOUD and they don't want you to know.

you could've bought a quieter open frame Champion 3500/4000 for less money and gotten a proven well-supported generator that is quieter.
i got mine from Cabelas for $269.
BUT i would still NOT use it in any campground.
that's why i have a Honda 2000i.
the Champion is for home use and power outages and the Honda is for camping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #28

We purchased a Boley 3600si inverter generator which can run everything including a/c weighs 72lbs dry has handle and wheels. Good in all state and national parks pretty quiet 54 dbs We have used ours for almost 4 years and have not had any problems. Check it out at bottom line trading company.com was a great price for what you get.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #29

I have 2 honda 2000's. One is a companion generator. When connected together they put out 30 amps and have a 30 amp plug in. Unless I'm running the AC, I just run one. They are very quiet compared to some others. Basically as loud as a normal conversation.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #30

I did something similar with the Champion 3500/4000. I don't have the wheel kit, so it is a bit lighter to move around. I am 71 and don't have any trouble lifting it in an out of our F250. The 30A cord from our trailer reaches to the truck bed with no issue. I built my "box" using carpet and the deadener/liner. We have used the pair together for five years with no issues. We just completed an eight week trip cover 12 state parks and several nights of highway boondocking using it to power our rig and our friends 50 Amp 40 foot 5th wheel. Everything was fine as long as we didn't try to run the ACs. This wasn't an issue as we were mainly in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. No one mentioned "noise" anywhere and we were in Yellowstone and Glacier where the campsites are very close to each other.

Tags
generator