Old 07-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityRich View Post
I currently have a Honda EU2000I that I converted to run on Propane. I just plug in the quick connect gas on the TT and off it goes. I don't have to worry about carrying gasoline or spilling it. It is also cleaner burning and the Generator will/should last literally forever. Because I can't run my air conditioner on 1600 watts, I need to purchase a 2nd EU2000I, convert it to propane and use the companion cable to get the power I need. If it isn't too hot I will just us one. MW and I like wooded sites at state campgrounds and we have found that many don't have power or water. So, I believe this will be a very workable solution. I haven't yet purchased the second Honda. JMTC!
I haven't bought a generator yet but I like the idea of running it on propane. Was that an easy conversion and how much did it cost?

Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I must admit I'm impressed with all the different ideas for enclosures. Just seems like a lot of trouble to build and haul around. Our 2 Hondas are 10 years old and we have used them in rain, hail, snow, and dust storms. I do put them on a small wooden pallet to keep them out of the mud and dust. In prolonged bad weather I might put them under the fifth wheel overhang. Just don't see the need for enclosures.
One needs to keep the generator as far away as possible from the trailer, especially never under it fro any reason, and other campers. Particular notice needs to be paid to wind direction to prevent CO from entering yours or any other camper!

There was an event apx 12 years ago at some School Tailgating event where this happened. Generators are now banned at many school tailgating events. I am installing a dispersal system to prevent this scenario and hopefully get dispensation from the Pope to once again allow generators.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #63

I have a Honda ec3000, very quite and I can put it in back of truck with no help. Usually do not need it, but like having it along as a back up..
Old 07-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #64

After Walking into a neighbors campsite before I could hear his generator, I asked him what it was. RYOBI 2200 watt. I checked one out at Home Depot. Just as quiet as Honda, lighter, is towable like luggage, and costs about half of what the Honda does. It won't run the A/C but it will do everything else. You can also hook two of them in tandem and run a small A/C. Let's face it, you're camping. If you want all the comforts of home, go to an RV park, or stay home.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #65

The Ryobi RY i2200 are indeed quiet and by using a parallel cable you have 30 amps. When I was looking for a cable, I found Ryobi had quit making them, but found the Arien's cable worked perfectly.
We were camping at Texas Motor Speedway several years ago in my parents MH; it was cold as a witch digger's brass monkey at night and we were running the genny like everyone else around us. About 2 AM the carbon monoxide warning went off! I jumped up and turned off the generator and started opening the windows to get fresh (really FRESH 28 degree air) into the MH. I reset the sensor and went back to bed with extra covers only to have it go off again about 30 minutes later. I reset it again, dressed, and on a hunch took it outside into the dead still (pun) night air. It went off in about 2 minutes! Outside the MH. We were better off in the MH as it was higher off the ground. I am surprised there wasn't a bunch of suffocated NASCAR campers the next morning!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
We were camping at Texas Motor Speedway several years ago in my parents MH; it was cold as a witch digger's brass monkey at night and we were running the genny like everyone else around us. About 2 AM the carbon monoxide warning went off! I jumped up and turned off the generator and started opening the windows to get fresh (really FRESH 28 degree air) into the MH. I reset the sensor and went back to bed with extra covers only to have it go off again about 30 minutes later. I reset it again, dressed, and on a hunch took it outside into the dead still (pun) night air. It went off in about 2 minutes! Outside the MH. We were better off in the MH as it was higher off the ground. I am surprised there wasn't a bunch of suffocated NASCAR campers the next morning!
LOL!! Welcome to NASCAR!! We are NASCAR Americans! We breathe exhaust on purpose. Now you know what that blue haze is every morning over the RV campgrounds We try to go to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Texas, and Fontana and spend a week at each. Nothing like the smell of exhaust in the mornings with your bacon and eggs But it is always worse at Texas for some reason; except for that year the tornado went through.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #67

This has been a good read. I've had my trailer for almost a year now and will be attending an event that has no hookups and we are spending 3 nights in the August heat. I have been back forth like the last beer in your cooler on a back road with no Ice about what to buy. My buddy runs the 2 honda 2000s and boy do I love them and know they will last forever. Hell last week after his initial start of the Ac he shut one down and the ac continued to run on a single unit. It's funny after spending 30k on a trailer I don't want to drop 2k on some generators.

I've looked hard at all the brands and touched and ran each one I could actually get to see in person. I do want quiet so I can run ac all night without the thought in my head my genset might be pissing someone off. I do really like the new champion 3400 watt invertor that claims 3100 running watts. I just have a feeling that it's really a POS when it comes down to it. Agree to disagree on that one

I have seen no mention of the Kipor invertors on these 7 pages. I'm quite surprised nobody has brought them up. Not as quiet as the Hondas, but the ig3000 model can be had (in a dealer by me) for $1040. That's cheaper then I could find on the Internet. I have 2 friends that use these models for a 32' bumper pull and a 5th wheel toy hauler. They love them. I've looked very closely at them and they are truely a honda clone when it comes to the motor. Yes at full load it rated for 65db which is getting in the noisy range. And it's not a ton of power so you have to watch what you are running. The fit and finish of these models are really nice and if you put one of those new Polaris invertors next to it you will start to wonder who copied who
Old 07-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #68
Moderators' Assistant

The Kipor gennys have around longer than Champion.
But they faded from the market when Champion hit the market.
Kipor had raised their prices to almost as much as Hondas/Yamahas.
Plus warranty service for them was hard to find.

Dealers started dropping them and now you can hardly find them.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:03 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Kipor gennys have around longer than Champion.
But they faded from the market when Champion hit the market.
Kipor had raised their prices to almost as much as Hondas/Yamahas.
Plus warranty service for them was hard to find.

Dealers started dropping them and now you can hardly find them.
Agreed on dealers dropping them but I thought the price was far less the red or blue ones. Now, I haven't priced the smaller 1 or 2k watt units but like I said the ig3000 can be had for under $1,100 bucks shipped free to your door IF you want to buy off the internet. This is where the parts and warranty hassle comes in. I was able to find a dealer very close to my home and this will more then likely be the one I buy.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #70

I have a Honda EU 2000, and it is quiet, but I will never purchase one again. The power inverter has been replaced twice, once under warranty, once with cash. The circuit breaker has also been replaced.

Nothing like getting the trailer setup, the generator setup, starting it up and finding out there is NO AC output and you are approx. 100 miles from anything. Lucky with two batteries and warm weather, I was able to hang around for five days. This happened twice.

The following info, might pertain to all other generators.

The other problem I had, was partly my fault, for reading the owner's manual and expecting it to be correct, and NOT reading every page (could be a problem with many generators).

The owner manual states for under 6 month storage, "Fill with fresh gasoline and add gasoline conditioner *. Run the engine for 10 minutes
to use up the non-treated gasoline."

(My fault...they do note to used unleaded fuel, and in the USA/Canada the use of Ethanol fuel is OK, but "unleaded fuel" without Ethanol is "recommended." So, naturally, I used unleaded fuel with ethanol...all that I could find in Moab; so not much choice.

Exactly what I did and it was in storage for about 3 months, not the full 6 months. Well, I ended up having to rebuild the carburetor; not a big problem and only about $15 for the kit.

Per the technician in the Honda repair facility, the owner's manual is primarily printed for Japan and does not take into account what happens if ethanol fuel is used. And 2-6 months with ethanol fuel will cause problems with the fuel sitting in the fuel bowl/carburetor. Exactly what happened in my case.

His suggestion was if over a month, run the generator dry of fuel and open the fuel bowl drain (small screw on bottom of fuel bowl (takes about a minute after you find a very small screwdriver). Takes quite a few pulls when fuel is added again to get the fuel into the system and the bowl filled.

His other suggestion was to use high octane non-ethanol gasoline, which is available in in the area I now live in ID and to add to add a small amount of Sea Foam or another stabilizer. So I have used only premium non-ethanol gasoline and have had NO problem, even with the generator sitting over three months with fuel in the system.

Starts up every time with one or two pulls. However, the inverter went out again.

So, would I purchase a Honda again? NOPE. Granted, I probably got a lemon and possibly the inverter might be the same used on other generators.

Tags
generator