Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #71
Look around the campgrounds. 3 to 1 at my campgrounds have gone with one or two Honda 2000's.

So I did too.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #72
Champions as POS...NOT!!

Originally Posted by Blktegra View Post
... I do really like the new champion 3400 watt invertor that claims 3100 running watts. I just have a feeling that it's really a POS when it comes down to it...
Disagree with the POS opinion. Had my Champion 3100 now for 3 seasons and it runs great and quiet (58db). I use Stabil or Seafoam in the gas to counteract the Ethanol stickiness and its worked out great.

I'm now in the process of adding an Extended Run kit that will let me plug it into my 6 gal portable marine tank. This will both allow me to run much longer than the 6 to 7 hours per internal tank I get now. It will also make it easier to go get fillups at the station. Lastly, when I put her away for the season, I don't have to mess with making sure the onboard tank is empty. With the portable marine tank, I just power wash it and let it sun dry.

Oil changes, cleaning the carburetor jet after desert camping, etc. are all easy to do user maintenance. If you ever have a question, you can call their 800 service number and an articulate, knowledgable service tech in California will work with you on the phone. Champions are reliable, quiet, weigh less to pick up, less expensive and have great customer service. In my experience, definitely NOT a POS.

2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover
Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #73
Amps vs. watts

Originally Posted by LadySnowBird View Post
We bought a set of Honda 2000 ie and it companion. we hook them both together to create 4000 amp. it ran our Outback 29' bumper pull trailer just fine when we were set up with not ship to shore line. I carried them with us as backup because some places had storms that knocked out the camp electric supply.. we took two medium dog kennels and made hole in the back for the electric cord to hook them together and to run the trailer cord through. we put the exhaust to the kennel doors so the units could breath but not get wet in the rain.. I ran a steel cable thro the handles and locked it to our camper. one person took the design one step farther and put a motion detector inside the kennel so if some one tried to pick it up the alarm would sound nice and loud. Our gennies worked just fine with our 30 trailer and with our 30 RV.
I'm sure you meant 4000 watts with your parallel Honda generators, not 4000 amps. A new RV owner may be confused as to what are the power requirements of his RV. A 2000 watt generator creates a nominal 18 amps of power. Connecting them in parallel provides an available amperage of 36 amps, more than enough to run all the electrics of a 30 amp RV. The watt to amp formula is watts divided by system voltage (in the U.S usually 110) equals amps. The RV owner is not only faced with the cost and output of the generator(s), but mobility and storage. A 4000 watt generator will power a 30 amp RV, but it is large and heavy. Storage in or on the RV may be prohibitive. I opted for two Wen 2000 watt with a parallel adapter. At 50 pounds each, they fit nicely in my fifth wheel equipment bay, can be sited away from the RV, they are quiet and virtually a clone of the Yamaha 2000 watt generator. The Honda 2000i is a favorite and has a parallel adapter, but is more expensive.
taroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #74
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
We just bought our first TT. What gender should we buy and why? Also when looking a campgrounds, they say 30 or 50 amp. What the heck does that mean?
We opted for two Wen 2000 inverter genis and a 30 amp parallel converter adapter. At 50 pounds each, they fit nicely into my fifth wheel equipment bay with minimal weight issues. A single 3300 watt or twin 1650 watt generators in parallel will suffice for a 30 amp TT system. If you have a 50 amp system, you will need a generator system that produces at least 5500 watts to power all of your electrics. Most generators are rated at wattage, versus amps, so you need to convert the watts to amps to find your requirement (watts divided by system volts equals amps.) Size and weight are considerations, so consider where you will store the generator(s) when you travel. Although usually used for dry camping, they are handy for an emergency (a Walmart parking lot), or many state or national parks. Consider the type of camping you plan and the noise restrictions for that type of camping. We initially thought that generators were unnecessary based on our planned camping. A cold, dark night in Louisiana when we couldn't locate our planned campground changed that. The Walmart parking lot was looking very attractive. Fortunately we found an alternative campground, but vowed to never again be caught without the dry camping option. We also started to carry potable water on board. A working commode is handy in the middle of the Louisiana marshes.
taroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #75
Originally Posted by NYDP77 View Post
I swear by the Honda "handi" 3000i generator for a 13,500 btu A/C. Spend the extra money for peace and quite, even get compliments on other campers on it. It weighs about 75 lbs dry and easy to roll around with handle and wheels.
I've used two 3000is for years to provide power to my sound reinforcement system and back lines for bands when there has been no outdoor power or when the outdoor power was inadequate. While we don't dry camp often one has been plenty for our 30A TT.
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #76
I bought the champion 3100 running/ 3400 starting (gasoline) that is dual fuel. It's about 300 watts less on propane. Complaints. No hours meter and no oil came supplied in the box. But, I knew this before purchase. So first thing I did was install hour meter and oil. So far great generator, I have the 12th or 16th unit they made and not one problem. Have about 20 hours on it and 18 are running propane right off the quick connect on the trailer. Very happy with it so far.
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #77
I've had my Yamaha inverter generator for nearly 3 years and it is still under warranty. Keep in mind that although the Yamaha and Hondas cost more there are parts and warranty shops in just about every city. Nearly all the other brands are made in China, even the ones with American names. Parts may be hard to come by or take a long time to get. It's just something to consider. And please take this advice regardless of what brand you buy: Don't use gas with ethanol. It's worth the extra money to buy ethanol free gas or "boat gas" as it is sometimes called. Generators often sit for a couple of months without being run. The ethanol sinks to the bottom of the carburetor and mucks it up. When that happens it may not be repaired under warranty. There are web sites that lists your local stations that have ethanol free gas.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.

2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:03 AM   #78
Kaarun, I think you may have been the only one but that's ok. The OP mentioned in the subject line " what generator do we buy"
With auto spell checker it is not uncommon to see mistakes. Especially ones written by pro journalists. It's possible the op meant to write genny. Not gender. My iPad suggested Benny for genny. We all make misstakes.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:55 AM   #79
Who Dares, Wins
8 pages, has the OP even returned?

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:37 AM   #80
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
8 pages, has the OP even returned?
Nope,last on at 7/20/16! Youroo!!