Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #1

Just bought our first TT. Now what generator do we buy?

We just bought our first TT. What gender should we buy and why? Also when looking a campgrounds, they say 30 or 50 amp. What the heck does that mean?
miagigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
We just bought our first TT. What gender should we buy and why? Also when looking a campgrounds, they say 30 or 50 amp. What the heck does that mean?
That means the electrical the CG has. Your trailer came with an 30 amp cord or 50 amp cord. Sorry do not know what you mean by gender?...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:19 AM   #3

I am going to take a "WAG" that you mean "Generator"? Start at the Top with a HONDA and work down to your price level,results and NOISE will follow the Price point! Like W/D says you will need Elect adapters! If your unit is 30A you could/will need "At Times" a 50 to 30,a 30 to 20, if 50A you will also need "At Times" a 30 to 50! And you will always need a Extension Power Cord, most of the Time a 30' 30A Cord will suffice with the proper adapters! Youroo!! PS and always have a Tester for the Power Supply that you are going to Plug into! Better "Safe than Sorry"!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #4

I bought a new Generac iQ2000 based on good reviews, lower price than Honda, and very low noise level. It started right up, was impressively quiet, but that is all that was good. It wouldn't power my small R-Pod with nothing turned on except the clocks on the microwave and DVD players. Then, it leaked gas all over everything in my truck bed. I think I got a lemon! Returned to Lowes for full refund. After reading more reviews, I saw that a number of people have had the leaking gas issue. My next purchase will be the Champion 3100 from Lowes for $799. I have read many good reviews and it should run the AC, yet still almost as quiet as the Hondas.
mjh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Are you planning on staying places that do not have electrical connections? If not, then really no need for a generator, since the park will have electric.

Since you are new to the TT world, I always suggest a few articles to begin your RV education on, that you can peruse at your leisure to help familiarize yourself with certain generic things that apply to most all RV's.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electrical Systems

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
We just bought our first TT. What gender should we buy and why?
Gender?:what::what:

You need to provide more info.

What do you want to run with the generator?

Where do you plan to use it?

Do you want quiet or cheap?

How heavy can you handle?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hi, and welcome!
Just like your house has 200 amp service (or similar), your TT has 30 amp or 50 amp service from the power pole. If you only have one air conditioner it's most likely 30 amp service.
If you are looking at campgrounds that offer electrical service you are not going to need to buy any generator. If you plan on boon docking or dry camping in the future, you'll want the most quiet generator you can afford. A generator has a way of shattering the tranquility of the camping experience and should really be avoided as much as possible.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

After pricing inverter generators large enough to run the AC. I had sticker shock to say the least.

My wife and I decided to go this route.
This size Champion generators are quieter than traditional open frame generators on their own. And with the addition of the sound deadening box. It is as quiet as my dads Honda whisper.
The box is made of 1/4" plywood, caulked seams, furnace filter material, and two electric fans to draw air for cooling.

I have found this combo to be a great way to save money on the generator, and have plenty of quiet power.

Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #9

I would be careful about heat build up. That must be one heavy generator. My two Honda's weigh 47 lb apiece. You buy what you like. I have had my Honda's for eight years. I use them at my house some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

Heat build up has not been an issue.
The weight is very manageable.
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #11

If you look at the OP's other posts, you will note that they are towing a newly purchased 5800 lb. 2013 Coleman Dutchman with a 2007 Ford F-150 w/4.6 V8 and plan on full-timing for a year... Therefore, IMO, every pound counts...

A couple months ago I bought (2) WEN 56200i 2000-Watt for $379 each. They are quiet, small, and I can carry one in each hand. The engines are an exact clone of the Yahamas, probably made in the same Chinese shop to the same specs, so IMO a great bang/buck in this price-range.

For home/shop use we have a generator like the Champion 3500 & it's hard for me to load into the PU by myself. It also guzzles more gas so you have to factor in more fuel space/weight/costs...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

You buy what you like, I paid $1600.00 for my Honda's, I'm sure you paid a lot less. It's easier to move around my Honda's but buy what you like. If I had to do it over I would still buy the Honda's. If you staying at full hookups then you don't need a generator. I carry a air compressor and I need a generator at least for that. We dry camp some, that's no electric or water or sewer. My wife likes to watch Direct tv and we use the microwave. Our bank of batteries handles that but the batteries have to be charged so I need generator power as I don't have solar yet.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #13

I have the twin Honda 2000 package. I can run an AC with both running or just run one for basic utilities.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #14

I have had the champion 3100 inverter for two years now. I don't use it a lot but it always works great when I need it to. Great for taking short breaks while traveling, runs ac with no problems
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh203 View Post
I bought a new Generac iQ2000 based on good reviews, lower price than Honda, and very low noise level. It started right up, was impressively quiet, but that is all that was good. It wouldn't power my small R-Pod with nothing turned on except the clocks on the microwave and DVD players. Then, it leaked gas all over everything in my truck bed. I think I got a lemon! Returned to Lowes for full refund. After reading more reviews, I saw that a number of people have had the leaking gas issue. My next purchase will be the Champion 3100 from Lowes for $799. I have read many good reviews and it should run the AC, yet still almost as quiet as the Hondas.
I too bought the IQ2000 (two of them) in lieu of the Honda equivalents. I have not experienced the gas leak (yet) but have experienced the fact it doesn't seem to be able to handle what it's rated for, both of them did the the samething. In a side by side test with my buddy's Honda 2000, the Honda would power the same trailer (we tried 2 different trailers) with loads the Generac would trip on. We used a 1500w inverter as well for comparison. The Generac consistently tripped at about 1350w (inverter did not trip). The Honda never tripped until we went over 2000w. The Generac is quiet, but now we call it a "battery charger" not a generator. I use the 1500w inverter to power the TT and then recharge the batteries with it.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
I too bought the IQ2000 (two of them) in lieu of the Honda equivalents. I have not experienced the gas leak (yet) but have experienced the fact it doesn't seem to be able to handle what it's rated for, both of them did the the samething. In a side by side test with my buddy's Honda 2000, the Honda would power the same trailer (we tried 2 different trailers) with loads the Generac would trip on. We used a 1500w inverter as well for comparison. The Generac consistently tripped at about 1350w (inverter did not trip). The Honda never tripped until we went over 2000w. The Generac is quiet, but now we call it a "battery charger" not a generator. I use the 1500w inverter to power the TT and then recharge the batteries with it.
Forgot to add, yes we turned off the converter when we used the inverter as a comparison.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #17

I swear by the Honda "handi" 3000i generator for a 13,500 btu A/C. Spend the extra money for peace and quite, even get compliments on other campers on it. It weighs about 75 lbs dry and easy to roll around with handle and wheels.
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
Retired Retail/Importer

2 2000 hondas..easy to handle and with the second being a companion gen...you've got 30amps...I just converted my two to propane will test them this week...hope they are working...the conversion allows you to run for 12 to 15 hrs in luei of 6...so you won't have try pouring gas into a hot engine in the middle of the night when the a/C kicks off because you're out of gas
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #19

I built a extended fuel tank and I don't have to worry about putting the gas in a hot Honda, it costs not counting the boat tank that I hooked the Honda's up too about thirty bucks

Old 07-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #20

I'm smiling at how everyone assumed in the OP's post that the word "gender" meant generator. I, on the other hand, thought plug adapters, especially when they were asking about 30 amp vs 50 amp. Was I the only one?
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator