Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Just installed solar

Should I disconnect the solar from the batteries when I知 running on shore power? Just installed a 300 watt Renogy solar kit. I知 concerned about over charging the batteries with the solar and shore power running at the same time.

sawpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpdx View Post
Should I disconnect the solar from the batteries when I知 running on shore power? Just installed a 300 watt Renogy solar kit. I知 concerned about over charging the batteries with the solar and shore power running at the same time.
Your converter should detect a full battery and Should not charge.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app

ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

No problem running both at the same time.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #4

Thanks guys
sawpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #5

Solar controller should shut off until a predetermined voltage. It varies depending on controller but is much lower than when you are charging on shore power.
AvidFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer View Post
Solar controller should shut off until a predetermined voltage. It varies depending on controller but is much lower than when you are charging on shore power.
I was just charging my Battleborns yesterday. 60A from my converter. When I turned on my solar, it was charging at an additional 17A for a total of 77A. Both devices were in bulk mode since the 14V range wasn't hit yet where it switched to absorption.

Once you get to the voltage where you switch to absorption, one may turn down before the other.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #7

Wet, AGM, or Lithium? What controller are you using that you can see charge amps and mode it’s in?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #8

My trailer was "solar ready"

When I got the trailer, I examined the "prepped for solar". I was wondering what kind of controller they had installed. There was no controller. It was simply a connector directly attached to the batteries. Well, not quite directly, but there was only a breaker in-between. I guess they are expecting the solar panels that you attach to have their own diodes so they don't bleed power off at night.

On my 1994 class A, I had put 500 watts of panels on the roof. I bought a solar panel controller that would handle that load. It would monitor the battery line and kick on to recharge them if the voltage was low. I was reading up on these and people had a hard time getting the controller to kick back on after the shore power went away. I never really had the shore power kick on and off, because I put in a battery selector switch for the panels, where set 1 the panels attached to the solar controller, and on set 2, the panels were connected to a grid tie I added. I would get about 2 amps at 120 V AC when it was sunny.

I probably want to do something like that on the trailer, but maybe not until next year. I keep the trailer at home by the house, so a grid tie would lessen my power bill when I am not camping.
Kevin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Solar ready can mean 2 things. There’s a hub on the roof with wires someplace inside that are ready to attach to a controller or a plug that goes straight to the batteries with an in-line dude where you use portable panels that have built in controllers.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #10

sawpdx, did your kit come with a shut off switch.
How Many batteries are you running.
I’am looking for a solar kit.
Thanks

Swag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, solar