Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
is that possible thought it took a larger unit than that to run an AC
Bob, the Cool Cat is a 10,000 BTU heat pump, less than the 13,500 BTU unit found in many traditional campers. If a Yamaha EF2400iS can start and run a 13,500 BTU AC unit, then maybe a 2000 watt unit can run a 10,000 BTU AC. It will interesting to learn of any of our members are doing just that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #12

You might want to get the extended run tank option for your generator. I think Honda put a rather small tank on the 2000s unlike Yamaha. Even with a 10K a/c you might have to fill it up at night.

Having had a Yamaha 2400 (which as soon as I repair it, I am going to sell it), which I think is a pretty good unit, the Honda 2000s are a better deal though a more expensive one.

It is easy to add extended run tank on the Honda 2000s since they have a fuel pump. It can be done on the Yamaha, but it takes a lot more work since the engine is gravity fed. That involves not only tapping the fuel cap, but blocking the internal tank vent.

Another thing is unless you have a boat tank lying around already, buying the extended run tank online probably only saves you $25 at the most. Between gas, hose, fuel tees, clamps, and tank it was almost break even after I built one.

'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Bob, the Cool Cat is a 10,000 BTU heat pump, less than the 13,500 BTU unit found in many traditional campers. If a Yamaha EF2400iS can start and run a 13,500 BTU AC unit, then maybe a 2000 watt unit can run a 10,000 BTU AC. It will interesting to learn of any of our members are doing just that.
I just purchased a Yamaha 2000 watt generator and it runs my Cool Cat fine. I copied a post about the generator below.

Well I fired up the new Yamaha generator and it started on the first pull! This thing is super quiet and easy to use. I was loading my camper back up for the year and hooking everything back up, so I decided to see if the generator would run the AC unit. The generator never even flinched, it stayed in Eco mode and I even turned on the lights and roof fan.

The Yamaha 2000 watt will run our 10,000 Cool Cat!!!

I am glad I did not buy a bigger generator, this thing is not extremely heavy, but I would not want to carry or move anything heavier.

I almost bought a cheaper generator to save a few dollars, but now I am glad I spent the money on a quality generator.

Here is the link for Wise Equipmen,they were great to work with, shipped fast and provided good tracking info. I did order an extended oil fill adapter and it made adding the oil much easier.

http://www.wisesales.com/ef2000is-yamaha-generator.html
2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #14

I would think if the Yammy 2000 will run it, the Honda will too. The power output of both these gensets is virtually the same.

The only thing to remember is you probably won't have too much surplus power when the air conditioner is running. I would not expect that if you turn on the microwave either 2000 will be able to handle it when the compressor is running.

My pardette's first experience was out in the high New Mexico desert, when she thought she could run the microwave, air conditioner (13.5), and hair dryer all on the Yamaha 2400. Between the running air conditioner and the hair dryer, they were eating 2KW by themselves! Turn on the microwave and then you can hear the Yammy go to idle.

BTW, one other thing you may want to get is the handle armor kit for the 2000. It has blind bolts and makes it difficult to saw through the handles.

I have never had anyone mess with my Hondas, but when we boondock we are at cowboy towns with a live shooting range. Only a military armory has more iron than us! (though I do put a 30' cable through everything) Plus I have certifiable attack dachshund.

'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote