Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Late night issue

Hello
We are away camping with our Sunseeker 2014 3050s.Yesterday there was a short power outage in the campground( less than 30 minutes) and we had out power surge protector in place at the time.Last night about 11:45 our propane alarm starting beeping red green.After checking different things my husband finally checked the battery level and it was only showing 1/3!! He went outside and unplugged the surge protector and almost immediately the battery started charging back up.This morning it is still only at 2/3.We have read some of the forum messages about batteries and realize we may now never get a full battery charge but we are more concerned as to how this happened.
Does anyone know if the power outage would have done something and what about the surge protector?He has it unplugged now.He has also taken things apart and found a couple of lose screws so has tightened those(panel low near stairs)
Of course these things happen late at night!he was ready to cut the wires but fortunately didn't have to!
Thanks for your help!
sunseekercamper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Could be the surge protector did its job and prevented a surge going into the trailer but is now not working properly limiting partial voltage to the trailer. I'm sure there are some tests you can do with a meter to get voltage before surge protector and after. If power is restored and things are charging after your remove it then something is going on with surge protector. Too bad there wasn't someone else that could try it out in the trailer park to see if same conditions are present and to isolate issue to surge protector.

I have a hard wired surge protector and would rather replace it then burning up my main control panel in my trailer. let us know what you find out.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What surge protector do you have?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseekercamper56 View Post
Hello
We are away camping with our Sunseeker 2014 3050s.Yesterday there was a short power outage in the campground( less than 30 minutes) and we had out power surge protector in place at the time.Last night about 11:45 our propane alarm starting beeping red green.After checking different things my husband finally checked the battery level and it was only showing 1/3!! He went outside and unplugged the surge protector and almost immediately the battery started charging back up.This morning it is still only at 2/3.We have read some of the forum messages about batteries and realize we may now never get a full battery charge but we are more concerned as to how this happened.
Does anyone know if the power outage would have done something and what about the surge protector?He has it unplugged now.He has also taken things apart and found a couple of lose screws so has tightened those(panel low near stairs)
Of course these things happen late at night!he was ready to cut the wires but fortunately didn't have to!
Thanks for your help!
Hi Not sure if the problem is with the surge protector or is there a problem with the TT inverter? The 12 volt power would have to pass through the inverter backwards to the 110 volt A/C side! There should be diodes in the inverter to prevent the 12 volt power from going backwards through the inverter. From what it sounds like to me you were supplying 110 Volts from your TT to the grid. This is very dangerous to the person that is working on the grid to repair the electrical problem if you were supplying power to the grid.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi Not sure if the problem is with the surge protector or is there a problem with the TT inverter? The 12 volt power would have to pass through the inverter backwards to the 110 volt A/C side! There should be diodes in the inverter to prevent the 12 volt power from going backwards through the inverter. From what it sounds like to me you were supplying 110 Volts from your TT to the grid. This is very dangerous to the person that is working on the grid to repair the electrical problem if you were supplying power to the grid.

Hope this helps Tim
When was inverter mentioned?

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Inverter and Converter are different things! Be careful giving wrong information please TimVWUP.

Inverter takes 12 volt DC battery power and makes 110 VAC for things like a Fridge or TV.

A Converter takes 110 VAC and make 12 VDC to run things like lights or the propane alarm. Also charges the 12 VDC batteries. It is impossible for a CONVERTER to create 110 VAC and go back to the power line.

In you case the low 12VDC caused the alarm to sound. Removing the surge protector allowed AC to pass and charge the battery again.

The model of surge protector is needed to diagnose further. It is quite possible there was low voltage that caused the protector to cut off and protect your RV.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

Late night issue follow up

Our surge protector is
Surge Guard
Model34830
Portable
thanks to all who have responded so quickly.It is great when you have wifi when camping for these emergencies!
As of this morning,surge protector is plugged back in,appears to be working fine but battery has stopped at 2/3.
Thanks again!
PS
We are camping in beautiful Petoskey,Michigan and temperatures in the 80's which is amazing for so late in the season this far north:😎
Old 09-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
From what it sounds like to me you were supplying 110 Volts from your TT to the grid.
Hope this helps Tim
I don't know what to say!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:

Hope this helps Tim
Maybe I missed something? But what? Are you saying battery power (12V) passed through (going in a backwards stream) the "converter" and then supplied power to the pedastel? Furthermore how would that "supply" 110 volts? Even if the converter was streaming in reverse it does not convert 12v to 110, it only converts 110 to 12v. Unless I am missing something, and I am no electrical engineer, I am thoroughly confused by your post.

The poster didnt say anything about an inverter which has me more confused by your post?!?!?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #10

BTW Hello fellow Canadian from the Soo!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Our surge protector is
Surge Guard
Model34830
Portable
thanks to all who have responded so quickly.It is great when you have wifi when camping for these emergencies!
As of this morning,surge protector is plugged back in,appears to be working fine but battery has stopped at 2/3.
Thanks again!
PS
We are camping in beautiful Petoskey,Michigan and temperatures in the 80's which is amazing for so late in the season this far north:😎
You haven't mentioned what battery liquid level was? If plates were showing, you'll most likley never see a full charge again.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Per the manual:

SURGE FAILURE
If the red “SURGE” indicator LED is on, it
means that the built-in surge protection has
been sacrificed to protect your equipment
and is no longer functioning properly.
Other features will still function, but the
unit is recommended to be replaced.

In this unit, the surge is absorbed by a semiconductor device that is sacrificed. If you plug it back into any empty pedestal, is should show a red led. The unit needs to be replaced it did its job. I think I would get a Progressive Industries unit as a replacement.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

Second night of issues

Here we are again at bedtime and as we were watching Tv my husband checked the battery level read out and down to 1/3 again.We turned off TV and he also took off surge protector and almost immediately back up to 2/3.We don't know what to make of this.We are not running AC at all.The surge protector does not show red lights as mentioned and appears to be okay.Battery showed 2/3 all day until this evening when TV was on.
Any help?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #14

Your TV must be 12 V powered? Does it work without being plugged in or on generator?. Certainly sounds like the Convertor that charges your battery is bad or battery might be bad. Looks like a voltmeter is required, also make sure your 12 V isolation switch might be turned off. Not sure of your configuration.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #15

I'm still trying to figure out how a battery can go from 1/3 to 2/3 when the AC was unplugged. Where's that charging power coming from?

Or are some of you postulating that with the AC plugged in, there's some kind of load on the battery that's been removed with the AC unplugged. Still doesn't seem like a battery can go from 1/3 to 2/3 just be removing the load, unless it's a heck of a load, in which case, I'd think the battery would be dead by now.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #16

Thanks for your late night reply fellow Canadian!
Checked with husband and TV does run on 12 Volt but the switch is on. We really think something happened to battery yesterday when the power was out here despite the surge protector as we have never had these issues before.So much for,thinking you have all the bases covered.As,for the convertor,I guess we would have to bring MH somewhere to have this checked.Our unit is only one year old.
Thanks,
Old 09-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #17

Quote:

Hope this helps Tim
My bad ment converter was in a hurry before going to work.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Hello
Thanks for your help!
Hi miss read post thought you still had a power loss at 11:45 PM still sorry about the confusion . It sounds like it may be a battery or charge converter problem. Is the battery full of water?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #19

New Converter!

Hi Again
So as it was a rainy day we decided to try and deal with this problem with our battery not charging.We headed to Ranch RV Sales in Alanson about 15 minutes from where we are camping.It turns out that the converter was the problem.They tested the batteries and then the converter.The fellow there said the brand that is installed in the factory is an inexpensive brand and they have had to replace many of them every year.We now have an Intelli Power 9100 and he said it is a much better unit.We are grateful to them for accommodating us in short notice and the installation took only about 30 minutes.
Hopefully all will be well in this department.I intend to contact Forest River despite it being over one year.This type of repair should not be needed so soon after purchase.
Thanks to all for all of your help.Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You got the perfect converter!

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"