Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Leave Battery connected during storage?

We just bought our first TT, moving up from a popup. We had a great first trip in it this past weekend. Now that its home I'm not sure what to do with the battery. I have the TT plugged into shore power and the converter appears to be trickle charging the battery at 13.7v. Should I disconnect the battery to avoid overcharging or will it be fine to remain on trickle charge?

Thanks,
Bruce
2012 Avenger 26BH
bwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

Included in your RV info pouch there should be an owners manual/pamphlet from the converter manufacturer. It will tell you if the converter has a 3-stage charger built in. If it is a 3-stage you are fine to leave it plugged in.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Iv'e had my camper plugged into shorepower all the time it's at home for the last 4 years. No problem.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Its fine to leave it plugged in assuming you have a three-way converter/charger, which you almost certainly do. Check the water level in the batteries periodically.

However, you can also disconnect the batteries if you do not intend to use the camper for a month or two. They will remain charged as long as they do not have a draw. That's why many of us install a battery disconnect switch.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

I have always left mine plugged in at home. Never had a problem. I typically get 4 to 6 years out of a battery, so it must be okay to do so. I do check fluid levels in the battery often and fill as nessasary. I leave the batteries in my boat on a trickle charge all year long and have never had an issue with them either.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

You will be fine. I have the battery disconnect switch also so I never have to unhook the battery.
jrlehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I checked the manual for the convertor and it is a 3-mode unit. So it is in float charge mode right now, happily maintaining the battery.

Bruce
2012 Avenger 26BH
Yorktown, VA
bwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I leave my 5er plugged in to shore power 24/7 365 no issues.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Anacortesians

We keep our GT 325 Class A plugged in all through the winter. It's moored alongside the garage. So far (second season) we haven't had any house battery issues. We have two Costco deep-cycle 12V marine/RV batteries in parallel. They were new in July 2010 just after we bought the rig.

When it's time to resurrect it for next season, about 8 weeks away, who knows what surprises await!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #10

Tiny solar panel on top of AC

Hi all,

I just bought my first RV a Wolfpack WP32 to haul my bike and sand rail to camp. Love it so far. Not new, a 2007 model.

I live in a condo so no shore power available. There is a small approx 12x12 solar panel on top of the AC unit. I have no documentation at all. By experiment I have found that with no shore power or tow vehicle connected the voltage is higher with the battery disconnect "ON" so I assume the solar trickle charger is working. Voltage dropped when I disconnect. I was not sure if the solar would still charge and the disconnect was just to remove the leakage current for LPG detector, etc.

I bought 2 new Group 27 deep cycle batteries and connected in parallel. My idiot light panel just has 4 lights for battery condition and now after about 3 weeks seems to have settled at 3 lights. I measured at the battery connections and it was sitting at 12.3 volts. With the LPG detector going is this probably all I will get out of the little solar panel on top? I live in sunny St. Petersburg, FL so get a lot of sun.

Should I think about disconnecting the LPG detector. Nothing else is draining power. Maybe 12.3 is fine and when I tow a couple hours camping the truck connection will top off the batteries.

Also when I hook up shore power camping should I disconnect the batteries? Not sure if I have 3-stage converter.

Thanks all. This is awesome to have so much information at hand.

Dave
41railbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dave,
Congratulations on your new-to-you trailer!!

Here are some thoughts for you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41railbuggy View Post
Hi all,

I just bought my first RV a Wolfpack WP32 to haul my bike and sand rail to camp. Love it so far. Not new, a 2007 model.

I live in a condo so no shore power available. There is a small approx 12x12 solar panel on top of the AC unit. I have no documentation at all. By experiment I have found that with no shore power or tow vehicle connected the voltage is higher with the battery disconnect "ON" so I assume the solar trickle charger is working. Voltage dropped when I disconnect. I was not sure if the solar would still charge and the disconnect was just to remove the leakage current for LPG detector, etc.

I bought 2 new Group 27 deep cycle batteries and connected in parallel. My idiot light panel just has 4 lights for battery condition and now after about 3 weeks seems to have settled at 3 lights. I measured at the battery connections and it was sitting at 12.3 volts. Was this measurement after the batteries had been sitting disconnected for three weeks or connected and being trickle charged through the panel?

The idiot lights are very rough estimates. Good that you are using a multimeter to measure the battery. 12.7 volts is fully charged and 12.3 volts is about 65% charged. I would recharge them fully at this point. Batteries do best when maintained at a higher voltage for a healthy battery.

With the LPG detector going is this probably all I will get out of the little solar panel on top? I live in sunny St. Petersburg, FL so get a lot of sun. That 12"x12" sounds pretty small. I'm no solar expert but I know different panels will throw off different watts and volts. So, I would probably want to figure out its output in order to calculate how much its helping.

Should I think about disconnecting the LPG detector. I do not like to disconnect any safety devices in the off-chance that something goes wrong and its still disconnected when you need it most.

Nothing else is draining power. How do you know? Common draws are CO and propane leak detectors as you know, plus the radio. I also believe the DSI for the HWH, fridge, and furnace control boards also draw a small amount even though turned off (I may be wrong about those and I've been meaning to check).

Also, remember that batteries self-discharg
e. My two batteries discharged about 11% over two months completely disconnected. It was colder of course than St. Petes.

Maybe 12.3 is fine and when I tow a couple hours camping the truck connection will top off the batteries. You should always recharge fully after each trip. I recharge for at least a day and then disconnect my batteries. Disconnected, they last months. I don't believe a couple of hours towing will fully charge from 12.3. The car alternator doesn't put out that many amps through the pigtail (although it certainly helps).

Also when I hook up shore power camping should I disconnect the batteries? Keep the batteries connected when on shore power and let the converter do its job and charge the batteries. Monitor the water levels if you do not have a 3-stage converter/charger (see below).

Not sure if I have 3-stage converter. It probably is 3-stage but you need to find out. Look up the model number on the converter and go to the manufacturer's website. IMHO, a 3-stage is needed for charging and maintaining your deep cycle batteries.

Thanks all. This is awesome to have so much information at hand.

Dave

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Think the 65% charge is a little off. 12.3/12.7 x 100=96.8%
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Think the 65% charge is a little off. 12.3/12.7 x 100=96.8%
That would be correct if 0 volts was a dead battery, but since 10.5volts is considered dead, then you need to follow a chart like this one from Trojan ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	12071  

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #14

Thanks Triguy. The 12.3 volts was after it had been trickled on the solar for a few days. Now in fairness I did raise/lower the tongue jack a couple times plus had the interior (incandescent) lights on at night while tinkering plus the incredible fan running on low in the bathroom for several hours that I forgot to turn off when I left.

So I have quite a few variables and understand the little solar engine that could will only do so much. I will monitor for a while and see how the voltage goes.

Also I turned off all breakers but that is on the AC side so probably no effect. Yes the Concertone is probably pulling a few milliamps even when off as I see a small red light in the power button. Good call.

Maybe just have to run a 100' extension cord to the maintenance shed outlet if the condo guys will let me. That would solve everything...

Thanks again and I'm sure I will have more questions as I go!
41railbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Triguy, Opps, I stand corrected. Sorry about that. Old age bites again.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Triguy, Opps, I stand corrected. Sorry about that. Old age bites again.
Its bitten me a few times in these last few years, too

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41railbuggy View Post
Thanks Triguy.
Maybe just have to run a 100' extension cord to the maintenance shed outlet if the condo guys will let me. That would solve everything...
That it would. Come home from a trip, charge for a day and then disconnect the batteries.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #18

I usually disconnect my battery when I don't plan to use my camper for awhile. Can you advise me on how to install a disconnect switch/ Thanks.
rstanionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstanionis View Post
I usually disconnect my battery when I don't plan to use my camper for awhile. Can you advise me on how to install a disconnect switch/ Thanks.
Welcome to one of the more interesting topics on any trailer forum.

There's a bunch of different ideas and these threads would be good for you.

Battery on/off -- Pos or Neg side?

Disconnect Switch Wiring ?

I personally like the Blue Sea disconnects attached near to the battery on positive.

2012 Shamrock 233S

Tags
battery