Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Any advice for those of us who do not have garages and live in Eastern Canada (cold winters, lots of sub-freezing temps). I could bring the battery into the basement but I would be worried about gases.
Living in the most easternly province I remove the batteries from my three motorcycles to protect from freezing, and plan to do the same with the trailer. I've stored them in the basement with no issue; wet cells on two of the bikes. I use a battery tender that I regularly switch through the batteries.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #22

I don't know what electric panel is on my 2006 Summit 22RB. I plan to pull the battery and store inside the garage with a tender charger. Would I have any issue without the battery while my trailer is connected to the power line of my house? I do sleep some nights and watch tv.
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntrac
I don't know what electric panel is on my 2006 Summit 22RB. I plan to pull the battery and store inside the garage with a tender charger. Would I have any issue without the battery while my trailer is connected to the power line of my house? I do sleep some nights and watch tv.
Good question. It's commonly thought that a battery will smooth out fluctuations from the converter (or something like that). But, I do not understand that well enough to say its true and heaven knows there's some things that are constantly repeated but without any real reason for it. So, I'd like to see some of our EEs give their thoughts.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #24

I live in south Louisiana and we leave our Rockwood 5th wheel plugged in all the time. I have it parked under a shed to keep it out of the sun and I run the icebox and a/c, set at 85. It is humid down here so running a/c helps with moisture in camper. Also when we are going camp, the night before we leave I cool camper down to 70-75, this helps when we get to campground, it does not take long for camper to cool off, even when 95 or hotter outside.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
i try to leave my mh plugged in for about 2 weeks right before i do the monthly genny test, then unplug for about 2 weeks then start again. likewise, i keep a eye on both batteries. and by the way, i have 2 of the little black & decker elect. pest repellers for the winter and so far nothing has come in.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #26

AC to RV during winter storage

We keep ours plugged in during the winter, have a 3 stage converter and check the batteries when winterizing. Also have a small trickle charger for the engine battery, works through the cigarette lighter plug.
Joerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerossi View Post
... Also have a small trickle charger for the engine battery, works through the cigarette lighter plug.
Is that like the perpetual motion machine? Using the cigarette lighter plug to charge the battery to power the cigarette lighter plug.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Is that like the perpetual motion machine? Using the cigarette lighter plug to charge the battery to power the cigarette lighter plug.
I hope he meant a solar charger that ...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I hope he meant a solar charger that ...
Originally Posted by Joerossi
... Also have a small trickle charger for the engine battery, works through the cigarette lighter plug...

I thought that also until I went back and re-read his post.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #30

Talking Trickle charger for engine battery

The trickle charger plugs into the AC outlet in the coach and charges the battery through the ciggerette lighter outlet.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The trickle charger plugs into the AC outlet in the coach and charges the battery through the ciggerette lighter outlet.
Since you are using the AC outlet in the camper to provide power to the trickle charger I assume you are plugged in 24/7 right?

Your converter will enter "float" mode and "trickle charge" your batteries as long as the coach is plugged in. An additional "trickle charger" is unnecessary.

Now if you do not plug in your coach 24/7, they DO make "cigarette lighter" solar panels that will "trickle charge" your batteries. That is what I thought you were talking about.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #32

Charging batteries

Herc,
I was not aware the converter/charger also charged the engine battery. Shouldn't it be isolated to prevent it from being drawn down if somethin was left on in the coach and you were not plugged into to shore power?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Herc,
I was not aware the converter/charger also charged the engine battery. Shouldn't it be isolated to prevent it from being drawn down if somethin was left on in the coach and you were not plugged into to shore power?
Well, to be honest (rare I know) I am not a motor home guy. However, the Herkbrary contains a lot of motor home material in case one day I become one.

From these two documents and the attached wiring diagram it appears to me that as long as the voltage on the coach line is 12.7 volts or higher the battery control center will tie the chassis battery and the coach batteries together. This will seems to allow the on-board generator and/or the engine alternator to charge all on board batteries.

If that is indeed the case, then applying power to the converter should boost the system volts to above 12.7 volts. This should close the buss tie relay and allow charging just as if the on-board generator was running and supplying the current.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Control Center Information -1.pdf (1.34 MB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf Battery Control Center Information -2.pdf (400.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Georgetown-Battery Connect Center.pdf (318.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #34

DC Charging circuit

Herc,
This is good information, where did you find this? Tha manual I received with the unit ( 2011 Sunseeker 2650 DS ) was more of a general manual, out of date with no wiring or plumbing information of any kind. Do you know of anybody offers a more detailed manual for this product? I did ask this of forest River after buying the unit but never received a reply.

Thanks for your help

Joe
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

I operate by pure "FM" and NEVER reveal my sources.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #36

Herk,
You will be now be called the "RV Maven Emeritus!"