Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by detheridge View Post
Hey guys, how do you remove the covers of the interior flat lights in the pop-outs. I have a couple burned out. I thought they would just twist and pop off but it looked like the entire light fixture was trying to turn. Do I use a flat-tip and pry the cover off? Before I damage it, I just wanted to check the best way to remove the cover so I can replace the bulb. Thanks
Please post a picture of what the light looks like. Also, which RV do you have? (It's probably best to just put that information into your "profile" and/or signature so it's always available.)

Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Hey guys, how do you remove the covers of the interior flat lights in the pop-outs. I have a couple burned out. I thought they would just twist and pop off but it looked like the entire light fixture was trying to turn. Do I use a flat-tip and pry the cover off? Before I damage it, I just wanted to check the best way to remove the cover so I can replace the bulb. Thanks
If you're talking about the little lights with frosted lens and a metal rim around the lens, it is made in one piece, so don't try to pry the cover off. You DO turn the whole thing - counterclockwise - and it will come off. They are a pain in the neck, though - and from my experience just as much problem to get back on! Helps to use a piece of the non-slip mat to get a grip on it to turn it!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
2012 Silverback 29RE

I have a 2012 Cedar Crest Silverback 29RE. Here are the flat lights I was talking about. Taylorgso, they are frosted but no metal rim around them. Hopefully they are still the type you discussed and can be removed by twisting them off counterclockwise. Thank you for your help. Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flat lights.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	36075  
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
I have a 2012 Cedar Crest Silverback 29RE. Here are the flat lights I was talking about. Taylorgso, they are frosted but no metal rim around them. Hopefully they are still the type you discussed and can be removed by twisting them off counterclockwise. Thank you for your help. Dan
Yep! I have some of that type, also. Just twist counterclockwise. First time, they are VERY tight. Also, the whole assembly is held in by spring clips; if you pull them down, the clips may come off, and must be reinstalled in the correct orientation. They use a G4 base, if you plan on replacing the 20W Halogens. I used 2W LEDs, which give good light. There are some 3.5w LED's available also and they are very bright. These LEDs do not work on a dimmer circuit. Good luck with removal!

Oh, and thumbs up on the photos. A good idea anytime you are describing a problem on the forum to show pics!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #15

Mine look very similar and you just pull the lens down (and it takes a lot of force). It sounds like you should try a twist first, and if that doesn't work, just pull. (I wouldn't use a "pry tool" as that's might crack the glass.)
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #16

I have tried 3 different types and companies to find a replacement for my 921 bulbs. I can't find any LEDs that are even close to the same brightness of the stock bulbs. They are all much dimmer.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
I have tried 3 different types and companies to find a replacement for my 921 bulbs. I can't find any LEDs that are even close to the same brightness of the stock bulbs. They are all much dimmer.
I used these from rv-led.com and was very happy with them. I thought they seemed even brighter than the originals. (Note that these guys give a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser as well.)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #18

Frome trial and error and what I found online, you will need at least 250 lumen to be close to the 921 output brightness. We are using 250 lumen, Natural White,tower style bulbs, using around 3 watts +/-, purchased at RV LED Bulb (aka Ocala Hitch) for less than $9.00 delivered. Not the cheapest that are available, but had the output and color we wanted. They also had bubls with more lumen.

Benn using for almost 2 weeks and all are working fine, light lens gets slightly warm with these brighter bubs, but not like the old 921's.

The above statement is based on my opinion and actual usage.

Have a good day and Bye.

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #19

I received my 10 LED's for $9 today - 19 days from reading about them on this thread. As stated they are not as bright & have a slight blue tint but they all worked & sure beat my previous purchase of $10 per LED. If you want reading lights then the $10 LED cool white works super. For everything else these 10 for $9 are perfect.

Maybe I'll get an LED for the outside amber door light too.