Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
rip

led lamp interference with tv signal

My recent Windjammer year model has led lighting inside. Great move for Forest River.

Last year there was some discussion of certain led fixtures interfering with the television antenna signal. After reviewing an older thread or two, I finally realized my seemingly random signal distortion happened in particular when signals are fringe or medium and I turned on bath, bedroom or hall led lights. The screen goes blank and reports weak signal, until I turn the led light back off, then the signal returns and I can continue watching that channel. Never could replicate problem at dealer where signals were strong.

I tried replying to a thread response by Capt. Mike but couldn't because thread was 120+ days old (forgot exact error message). So, here's a new thread...

I believe CM replied that they replaced his Windjammer led fixtures at Goshen because of this problem (maybe just the bulbs not entire fixtures). I can't make a Goshen rally trip, so-o-o-o I'm wondering if anyone knows a Forest River contact, a recall key word/code, or a warranty policy on the Windjammer led interference issue?

Now, I'm just guessing FR has a solution based on CM's old reply, don't know that for sure. And, I'm guessing FR began using different led lamps in later year models and the issue disappeared because I don't see recent threads.

Relevant info might help me get my dealer pointed in the right direction even though I can't duplicate my year model's led lamp problem for them at the repair shop.

If FR has a led bulb kit for a repair/update like they did at Goshen, I could replace them myself and not bother my back-logged dealer technicians. I'm still within my second year warranty period.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #2

We have the same issue - LED's wipe out the radio reception in some places.

I was at the dealer last week, so I asked about it. They didn't seem to know much about the problem or any remedy offered by FR.

Then one of the guys suggested ferrite choke cores for the power supply to the radio. Never heard of them, but Radio Shack carries them. No idea if it will do any good, but they are only about $5. Might be worth a shot if you can't get the lights replaced.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
...they are only about $5. Might be worth a shot if you can't get the lights replaced.
These may help if it's power related.

I believe... the tv antenna booster has 12v circuitry, the two tvs have 120v and the radio is 12v.

That's not what Capt. Mike said FR techs did at the Goshen rally.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
rip

Although I couldn't reply to the original thread, I figured out how to point to Capt. Mike's original reply...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post456755

This may help provide more info inside this thread.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
My recent Windjammer year model has led lighting inside. Great move for Forest River.

Last year there was some discussion of certain led fixtures interfering with the television antenna signal. After reviewing an older thread or two, I finally realized my seemingly random signal distortion happened in particular when signals are fringe or medium and I turned on bath, bedroom or hall led lights. The screen goes blank and reports weak signal, until I turn the led light back off, then the signal returns and I can continue watching that channel. Never could replicate problem at dealer where signals were strong.

I tried replying to a thread response by Capt. Mike but couldn't because thread was 120+ days old (forgot exact error message). So, here's a new thread...

I believe CM replied that they replaced his Windjammer led fixtures at Goshen because of this problem (maybe just the bulbs not entire fixtures). I can't make a Goshen rally trip, so-o-o-o I'm wondering if anyone knows a Forest River contact, a recall key word/code, or a warranty policy on the Windjammer led interference issue?

Now, I'm just guessing FR has a solution based on CM's old reply, don't know that for sure. And, I'm guessing FR began using different led lamps in later year models and the issue disappeared because I don't see recent threads.

Relevant info might help me get my dealer pointed in the right direction even though I can't duplicate my year model's led lamp problem for them at the repair shop.

If FR has a led bulb kit for a repair/update like they did at Goshen, I could replace them myself and not bother my back-logged dealer technicians. I'm still within my second year warranty period.
Ray,

Our Windjammer is a 2014 model...probably one of the first 2014s off the line, built in March 2013.

We first encountered the problem on our initial trip in this tt, in April 2013. When I took it to the dealer, they said they had not encountered it. By July 2013 the dealer told me that had heard from a second owner that had experienced the same thing, but to the best of their knowledge, their was no "fix" at that point.

When we got to Goshen for the International rally, I mentioned this problem to the service guys, and they said the "fix" was to replace all of the LED fixtures, which they did. (2 wires cut, butt-connect the new fixture to existing wires, and screw into ceiling, except the new fixtures are just small enough that they don't quite cover the original hole. However, they already had adaptor plates made that covered the original holes and then mounted the new lights to the plates. If you didn't know they had been changed, you would never know it...they look that good and "original."

Only once since then have we had an issue with loosing he signal on antenna, and we were pretty far away from ANY signal. 99.9% of the time, everything works fine on antenna, with ceiling lights on or off.

Check your message box for a PM.

Mike
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led