Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
jbk

LED light problem

I purchased several of the "ping pong paddle" type led bulbs to replace the bulbs in the overhead lights. When I installed the led bulbs only one side of the fixture would light. Switching the leds, the same result - only one side illuminated. This eliminated the possibility of a faulty led, so I tried a second fixture. Once again, only one side lit. If I remove the non-illuminating led and replace with the original 921 bulb, both sides light (one with led and one with 921). So, the fixtures are good, the bulbs are good, why do I only get one side lit when using the LEDs? The bulbs in question are similar to these:
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #2

The led's you refer to are working "as designed". Only one side has the leds lighting part.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
jbk

I was trying to describe their performance in a two light ceiling fixture, sorry for any confusion! The leds only work in one side of the ceiling fixture, seems to be the same side in each light fixture. In other words, the led installed in the right side of the fixture illuminates, but the led in the left side does not. The led performs as designed, just not in every socket. Seems strange to me.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

Hi jbk,
From your picture of the LED, it appears that it is polarized, that is to say that the positive & negative terminals can only be inserted so the plus side of the LED goes to the positive terminal & negative to ground. I bet that if you flip the LED over that it will work. Of course, that isn't going to do you much good. Can you rotate the socket 180 degrees?

2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104
2011 Silverado 5.3 ~ 4X4

Great Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

Or can you change the two cables leading to the "non properly working" socket in order to get the led working shining down instead op up?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
Or can you change the two cables leading to the "non properly working" socket in order to get the led working shining down instead op up?
Yes, that would work, and might be easier than trying to rotate the socket.

2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104
2011 Silverado 5.3 ~ 4X4

Great Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #7

Jbk: as we do not know which type of light fixture you have you may have the leds to shine up to a reflector instead if shining down as I wrote above.
Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
jbk

You are both right, it is a polarity issue. One shines down and the other shines up. The way the plug is constructed it cannot be rotated 180 degrees and it looks like the leads are crimped into the socket. Not sure I want to perform surgery on all my light fixtures to install these leds. I was looking for a cheap "plug and play" lighting solution - guess I'm still looking!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
You are both right, it is a polarity issue. One shines down and the other shines up. The way the plug is constructed it cannot be rotated 180 degrees and it looks like the leads are crimped into the socket. Not sure I want to perform surgery on all my light fixtures to install these leds. I was looking for a cheap "plug and play" lighting solution - guess I'm still looking!
Looks to me if you bend the socket connector wires the other direction, ie flip over the holder, you'll now have the correct polarity for the "wrong" side. Carefully you don't want them to snap off.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Looks to me if you bend the socket connector wires the other direction, ie flip over the holder, you'll now have the correct polarity for the "wrong" side. Carefully you don't want them to snap off.
You can bend the wires to the other side . It will then perform perfectly ! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #11

Sounds a workable solution. By the way: www.superbrightleds.com carries a great selection of leds for RV. They may have something with leds mounted on both sides which will increse the output using both directional (direct) and indirect through the reflector in the fixture.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
jbk

The base on my bulbs differ from the picture in that the wires from the leds exit on opposite sides of the plastic base (near the bulb end) and then fold over the top. As a result there are two wires on each side of the plastic base, so there is no way to make the easy fix work. Thanks for all the input, but these guys are going back! They are a bit weaker than I had hoped and a lot bluer than advertised anyway.